Jigs for Trout - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Jigs for Trout

Back when I used to fish mostly for stocked trout, I sometimes used tube jigs to catch trout. I had never considered it but I went fishing with a couple of friends who are primarily bass fishermen. It was late in the year and the water was cold. They did much better than I did using spinners.

After that, I tried them in 1-3Ē long in various colors, mostly black, brown, white, or dark green. I didnít fish them a lot but they worked fairly well on some days when I wasnít doing well using spinners or plugs.

When I started fishing more and more for wild trout, I found that they didnít work nearly as well on wild trout as they had on stocked trout.

While I still have some tube jigs, I havenít used them in a long time for a variety of reasons. As I said before they donít work as well on wild trout as spinners and plugs. They also got hung up much more frequently and broke off in deeper water.

I wanted to ask if anyone here uses jigs, either tube jigs or other types for trout and if so, how effective are they? Do you catch mostly stocked or wild trout with them? What size jigs do you use? Iíve read some posts here where people have used Trout Magnets to catch trout, which I have never used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 04:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was in Potter County last spring fishing a stocked stream. I noticed 2 big palominos in the area I was fishing. I tried everything I had, meal worms, night crawlers, power bait, spinners. They wouldnít bite on anything. A few weeks prior, I picked up some small tube jigs, went into my vest and tied one on. First cast, put it well up stream and jigged in front of one of the palominos and bang! He inhaled it. I will be picking up more of the tubes this spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E6A943E9-13E9-48EA-82BF-FA500DEB7C32_1520111837933.jpg (1.16 MB, 30 views)
chilli likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use Trout magnets a lot for stocked trout with my flyrod...the difference between jigs and Trout magnets is not to bounce the Trout magnets off the bottom, just keep them off the bottom and swim them along.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

To those who use jigs for trout, have you found they work better in cold water since the trout are more sluggish?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 09:52 AM

I used to fish jigs all the time, trout magnets are a killer on stocked trout. Especially pink and white. If im specifically trying to get a big stocky for a pic that's being stubborn I'll break out the maki plastics. The Maki plastics work really good for natives too.

"live and learn, and then catch fish"

Last edited by ratherbhuntin; 03-04-2018 at 09:55 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Part of the Community

Trout magnets are as good as it gets for trout fishing. They just can't be fished as fast as spinners, so I don't often use them. I keep them on me in case I miss a big trout on spinners. They don't often give a second chance on spinners, but quite often they will take a trout magnet.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 08:07 PM

I use powerbait minnows with a 1/32 jighead quite a bit. Smelt and pearl are my go to colors. I like to swing them in front of trout I've spotted while lightly jigging. Never let them touch the bottom! They also work well for picking up trout that have missed a spinner and won't strike the spinner again.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce280 View Post
I use powerbait minnows with a 1/32 jighead quite a bit. Smelt and pearl are my go to colors. .
This. ^^^ Don't tell anyone though.............

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 11:04 PM

Hmm I find the opposite....I get a trout work or magnet into the bottom....it's like a creature digging and they attack.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 05:33 PM
The Man

I always carry a couple of small twister tail jigs. They have paid off at times when nothing else was working.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page