"Spin Fishing for Trout" Seminar by Frank Nale - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

"Spin Fishing for Trout" Seminar by Frank Nale

John Kennedy Chapter of Trout Unlimited

SPIN FISHING FOR TROUT

Presentation by Frank R. Nale

When: Tuesday, April 3, 2018, 7:00 p.m.

Where: Allegheny Township Volunteer Fire Company Building
651 Sugar Run Road
Altoona, PA 16601

Admission: Free and open to the public

Would you like to learn the secrets of how to catch more trout than most anglers think is possible? If so, you wonít want to miss Frank Naleís PowerPoint program on fishing spinners for wild trout. Frank is from Blair County and casts his homemade lures in large streams such as the Little Juniata River, Penns Creek, and Spring Creek in Centre County, as well as numerous small streams, both limestone and freestone. This fast-paced program will cover proper spin fishing tackle, correct technique, stream selection, and the other things he enjoys while streamside besides catching trout.

Frank, a retired accountant, has been a dedicated spinner fisherman and Trout Unlimited member since 1979 and has logged over 23,000 hours casting spinners. During the last 39 years he has learned and perfected many of the little things that it takes to be successful and he will be sharing them with you. His proven technique has helped him catch and release over 279,000 trout in streams open to free public angling, including an average of over 10,000 trout per year for the last twenty-two years. While many anglers would consider catching a dozen trout in a day a stellar outing, Frank has averaged over twelve trout per hour during the last thirty years.

In addition to his one-hour slide presentation, which will feature new photographs, Frank will give a brief casting demonstration followed by a question and answer period. A handout, ďSPIN FISHING FOR WILD TROUT -- Tackle, Tips & TechniqueĒ lists the critical points of his program and will be given to everyone. Also, for those interested, a handout showing in detail the parts necessary for constructing homemade spinners will be available.

For anglers who already use spinners, you will not want to miss this chance to take your spin fishing to the next higher level. For bait and fly anglers, Frank guarantees his tips will help you bring more trout, both stocked and wild, to hand. Even people who donít fish have enjoyed Frankís presentation. So why not join us for an enjoyable evening of trout talk and camaraderie. Youíll be glad you came.

- Frank Nale -

I can be contacted at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 06:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Frank, have you ever considered doing the GoPro thing and posting videos on YouTube? I donít think anyone here can disagree, your seminars, write-ups, posts, etc. are an incredible resource. A series of videos teaching what you teach in your seminar as well as your outings could really be a hit and an invaluable resource. And who knows, it could net you some income if you catch on.

Just food for thought.

Craig
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

You throw it out and reel it in, don't you? Looks like a good program...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
You throw it out and reel it in, don't you?
This is what anglers who catch two trout in a morning do.
Bull and bigguy54 like this.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutspinner View Post
Frank, have you ever considered doing the GoPro thing and posting videos on YouTube? I donít think anyone here can disagree, your seminars, write-ups, posts, etc. are an incredible resource. A series of videos teaching what you teach in your seminar as well as your outings could really be a hit and an invaluable resource. And who knows, it could net you some income if you catch on.

Just food for thought.

Craig
Hi troutspinner,

Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate that.

I have given posting videos on YouTube a passing thought. However, if I were going to do this I would want it done perhaps with a little better quality than what I've seen in videos done with GoPro. If I could easily film myself and get quality I would probably do it, but filming oneself and getting quality and variety is difficult at best. I also would hate to take the time away from my fishing to do it. I also have no interest in doing it if someone else would be making almost all of the money, such as if someone else filmed me to make a video to sell themselves.

I'd be more inclined to do PowerPoint presentations on YouTube but that's probably not nearly as interesting to people as videos. I don't want to post my "Spin Fishing for Trout" program because then there would be no good reason for anyone to go see my presentations.

I am curious, though, what kind of change we are talking about on YouTube? Do you or anyone else have any idea how payment works on YouTube?

- Frank -

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:48 AM

I attended Frankís presentation that he and his brother Mark did several years ago. It was well worth the time and travel then, and Iím sure it is now.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 02-13-2018 at 01:11 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 02:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTroutAngler View Post
I have given posting videos on YouTube a passing thought. However, if I were going to do this I would want it done perhaps with a little better quality than what I've seen in videos done with GoPro. If I could easily film myself and get quality I would probably do it, but filming oneself and getting quality and variety is difficult at best. I also would hate to take the time away from my fishing to do it. I also have no interest in doing it if someone else would be making almost all of the money, such as if someone else filmed me to make a video to sell themselves.
I made a few videos last year and I agree about the want of a quality video, filming yourself, the time it takes away from fishing and the money. GoPros have come a FAR way so the quality is not a real issue. With focus on the Presentation, I would grab a modern camcorder (cheaper than a GoPro) as they will do a nice quality, 1080P 60FPS no problem. You could rest it on a Tripod while you stand in a stream or streamside and give the presentation, breaking it into several sections, thus producing several videos from that "days work".

Quote:
I don't want to post my "Spin Fishing for Trout" program because then there would be no good reason for anyone to go see my presentations.
I disagree, I actually think it would create more people at your presentations. If you observe any of the bass pros, people love watching them live at local fishing shows even though they do some really good videos. And then of course you always have the people who just aren't into the YouTube or Internet thing that would still attend.

Quote:
I am curious, though, what kind of change we are talking about on YouTube? Do you or anyone else have any idea how payment works on YouTube?
In short, you sign up with YouTube. Once you reach a certain level of viewership (pretty easy to obtain), you can then "monetize". YouTube / Google sends you checks based on your viewership. It is really that simple.

As for how much you can actually make......that is so HARD to determine and no one could actually tell you amounts to expect as it is a case by case basis. For example, someone has 100 videos but they've only been viewed 2,000 times, that person is making nothing. On the other hand, a person could have 20 videos that have been watched a million times each, that person is making a living. I personally know someone who is making a living off YouTube right now and he only has 30k followers. Mind you, he isn't replacing an accountants salary yet but there are quite a few fishing people on YouTube who make a decent living by it, some, a VERY good living. There are ALOT of factors and work to be done to live off of YouTube. In a case like yours, your presentations would attract people, continually. If you decided to mount a camera to your chest and film your trips, that would be new content that would keep people coming back and of course, grow your channel.

I personally think you would be a hit. Anglers love entertainment but what we REALLY like is knowledge. You are on the top of that knowledge list. I don't personally know you face to face so I don't know if you are an "entertaining" person but if you can fish, talk while fishing, provide some insight while doing it, people would love you.
bigguy54 likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 01:00 PM

I sorta hear what Frank is saying in a way. The GoPro perspective kinda sucks although I understand why it's so popular cause unless you have a camera man it makes it pretty tough to do anything other than GoPro. There's just no substitute for the flexibility of having a person without a rod in their hand focused on getting 'that' shot. I've been hoping to bump into a camera man for years. There was a local fella into filming near me but I could just never really strike a deal. He was a fly guy and didn't want to film a lowly spinner fisherman lol. His loss because I am totally entertaining haha!!!!!
bigguy54 likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Even with a dedicated camera man, that is incredibly difficult in that style of fishing as we take a stealth approach. Imagine having to wait for the camera guys to get into position before taking a cast? I don't think any of us would put up with that for more than 15 minutes. Lol.

You'd be surprised though, guys who do the head or camera chest mount don exceptionally well in popularity. The key though is you have to have face time at the beginning, most guys just talk about what they are doing that day while driving to the spot.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:59 PM
The Man

Do you have any other seminars this year?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page