Raystown as a tailwater - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Raystown as a tailwater

Been discussions that come in waves over the years about making raystown dam a tailwater. Iíve been told itís being looked at again from an economic impact lense. What you say?

Float tubers and the local beer stores may not be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightine View Post
Been discussions that come in waves over the years about making raystown dam a tailwater. Iíve been told itís being looked at again from an economic impact lense. What you say?

Float tubers and the local beer stores may not be happy.
The Raystown Branch (RBJR) is a tailwater stream I believe. Itís a top water release instead of bottom release. If it was altered to bottom release that would make the water below the dam much colder and better suited for trout. The warm water anglers wouldnít be too happy about that.

The Allegheny River below Kinzua Dam (ARKD) has both upper and lower release gates. It is managed as a cool water fishery rather than warm or cold. There is a little bit of everything there; trout, muskies, pike, walleyes, bass, etc.

Iím not sure of the feasibility, but maybe two sets of release gates could be installed like the ARKD.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You are correct, the Raystown Dam is top release and probably what is being discussed is making it a bottom release. As stated this would lead to colder water temperatures and a more conducive environment for trout. The stretch from the dam to the pa fish commission access area known as the point, where the Raystown branch meets the frankstown branch and officially forms the Juniata River, is an area I have fished a ton. I grew up and still live very close to this area so I know it extremely well. I can tell you that it is an excellent warm water fishery with great smallmouth bass and walleye fishing opportunities. I have not encountered any native trout in this stretch but part of it is stocked every spring and you will catch an occasional hold over. Additional steps would need to be taken to establish this stretch as a strong trout fishery and establish a naturally reproducing trout population along with switching to a bottom release. I'm not sure how switching to a bottom release would impact the smallmouth bass population, and with the troubles smallmouth bass are facing in the lower Juniata and Susquehanna I'm not sure such a move would be a great idea. It will be interesting to see where these discussions/proposals go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 12:41 PM

From top release to bottom release seems like a pretty major undertaking. How many millions would that cost? Raystown is already a fishing destination, I cannot imagine that you would attract enough additional trout anglers to make any meaningful economic impact. It would be cool, but there is already plenty of other top notch wild trout streams within a short distance.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyBearcat View Post
You are correct, the Raystown Dam is top release and probably what is being discussed is making it a bottom release. As stated this would lead to colder water temperatures and a more conducive environment for trout. The stretch from the dam to the pa fish commission access area known as the point, where the Raystown branch meets the frankstown branch and officially forms the Juniata River, is an area I have fished a ton. I grew up and still live very close to this area so I know it extremely well. I can tell you that it is an excellent warm water fishery with great smallmouth bass and walleye fishing opportunities. I have not encountered any native trout in this stretch but part of it is stocked every spring and you will catch an occasional hold over. Additional steps would need to be taken to establish this stretch as a strong trout fishery and establish a naturally reproducing trout population along with switching to a bottom release. I'm not sure how switching to a bottom release would impact the smallmouth bass population, and with the troubles smallmouth bass are facing in the lower Juniata and Susquehanna I'm not sure such a move would be a great idea. It will be interesting to see where these discussions/proposals go.
Raystown is a pretty deep lake, so I would think a pure bottom release would be rather cold and would impact the smallmouth population quite a bit. As for establishing a wild trout population, it depends on the spawning habitat in the river and tribs.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
From top release to bottom release seems like a pretty major undertaking. How many millions would that cost? Raystown is already a fishing destination, I cannot imagine that you would attract enough additional trout anglers to make any meaningful economic impact. It would be cool, but there is already plenty of other top notch wild trout streams within a short distance.
No idea how much that would cost. If it created a really good trout fishery, I think it would attract some more people from out of the area but it would have to be phenomenal to attract a lot more.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:07 PM
Part of the Community

I don't think it would ever create a reproducing population of trout. Look at the Yough river outflow. The fingerlings they plant do grow to adulthood with a pretty high success rate but I haven't seen or heard anything indicating reproduction there, and how long has that tailwater been managed for trout?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:15 PM
The Man

If there is not already a bottom gate on that structure, then this is simply not going to happen. To install a bottom gate. the entire lake would need to be drained and they would be lucky if they only lost two entire recreational seasons in completing the project, which is simply not going to happen. Can you imagine the fish salvage that would need to occur and tell the striper anglers and pleasure boaters on Raystown that it will be shut down for two summers? And then how long would it take to re=establish the other fish species once it would be re=opened? They will simply not inconvenience those other people for that period of time in order to establish a tailwater trout fishery. Not to mention the amount of money that would be needed. Hate to burst anyone's bubble.

But the million dollar question remains, is there an existing bottom gate?
MT_flyfisher likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:35 PM

The lake has a bottom gate already to the best of my knowledge. They just don't use it yet. May never.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:56 PM
The Man

Well if there is an existing bottom gate, I hope they do it. You can never have enough good trout fishing IMHO.
.257 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page