Centre County in February - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Centre County in February

So I am going to be going to State College in 2 week to visit my brother in law and sister in law. We are going Thon weekend.

I'd love to get into some fishing. i was discussing on Facebook the idea of fishing just one stream, and asked for just the name of the stream someone might select for that given weekend. I explained that I'd like to try primarily spinners. When I said this, the response was that I'd have a difficult time finding any fish that are willing to chase a spinner in this cold weather. Is this an issue that folks have? I recognize that cold weather might make for some more challenging trips, but they won't chase a spinner?

I know that I've seen here that a couple of guys have been out recently with spinners, and have had some success.

So I'm coming to ya'll...

If you had to pick just 1 stream, to fish 1 day in Mid February, what stream would you pick? Not spots...I'll look for, and find those, but I just want to get an idea of which stream might be a good start.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Spring Creek
Mikeymjr23 likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks!

That's where we were planning to head, but people were saying that they'd probably not do spinners. The only spot I know of is really in Bellefonte, right below the bridge, but we're looking for more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Never really tried spinners on that stream, but do know from fly fishing it that it holds a large number of trout
Mikeymjr23 likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Elk creek
Mikeymjr23 likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys!

I'll have to add that to the list.

Cubcadet...is Elk a decent stream to fish in the winter? I know that Spring seems to get hit a lot during the winter, but I don't know much about the rest of the water up there.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Spring Creek and it's tributaries.
Mikeymjr23 likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 04:48 PM
The Man

Trout this time of year are lethargic due to cold water temps so fish any offerings slow and on the bottom. If it's a sunny day don't forget to check the shallows (Like 6") as I have caught trout in such shallows in the winter. The sun warms the shallow water quicker. But most trout will be on the bottoms of the larger holes.

As a general rule you have to be an experienced cold water angler to catch trout in open water this time of year. If you don't go fishing, you won't get the experience, so you might as well have at it. Don't set your goals too high and go have a good time.

And when your line freezes up in the guides, just wrap your lips around the guides and melt the ice away. If it's cold out you will be doing this quite often.
Mikeymjr23 likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Part of the Community

I think theres a guy who fishes spring creek a good bit with spinners.....????? haha
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 10:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Mikeymjr23... Elk creek is a great wild trout stream to fish. I have caught many wild brookies. I fish out back of my house and walk up tours the narrows 1/4 mile maybe. I adventure down stream time to time tours Millheim. I don't need to go far to catch them little brookies, and there some big brownies in there as well. I caught some & lost some as they call them hook jaw? Caught rainbows as well.

Theres some big boulders in this creek, summer time it seems to draw in kayakers. I mainly use a white rooster tail with black dots. I will use my spinner an cast up stream retrieve down to me. Some areas you cannot walk on the bank, to darn thick. I walk up slowly in the creek and hit the white water. I swear theres a trout behind every rock. I loose some, good luck to get it to strike again.

I do fly fish, but not here, i not that good advoiding over hanging tree beanch's lol. There's time's i would have some red worms on me. I would work that spinner from left to right or vise versa. I catch a few, but i know theres more in there. Before i go up any further, I tie on a #12 hook with a red worm. As i said before you see white water, they like to hang out behind them rocks, some didn't take the spinner but they sure did take that red worm.

I go maybe 50 feet up or down stream from my back yard, caught a few and lost more than i reeled in. I use to fish stock streams, Penns creek mostly not any more. I have a good time just going out back and catching them little brook trout, you will not reel them in right away. There are some good holes that holds quite a bit trout in them.

Last year i bought a jon boat with jet motor to fish the Juniata River for Smallmouth Bass. I haven't spent much time out back last season, but i know them trout are there. Yeah theres been a Bald Eagle hanging around, just about everyday wife or I see the Eagle. Awesome as ------ to see that. Has a nest up stream along the narrows been there couple years now. Another thing is minks are popular here. Minks are very active when the ducks have there chicks. Witnessed alot of minks chasing the chicks sitting out back. Use to be a guy trap mink out back in trapping season. He asked if it was ok to walk thru my property to sit up along the bank. I did ask why here with a laugh, his reply was you have it nice and clear free of brush behind your place.

Anyways where ever you decide to go fishing good luck to you. Oh just remember years back Dad and I use to travel 4 miles back in the woods to engle bee That spelled right? Its Penns creek. Thats a great place too. Only issue is finding permission to park. people live back there an some will not let you park on there property, but we had permission from a fella who left us park end of his lane anytime. Haven't been back there over 10 years now.

Good luck, enjoy your time where ever you decide to go here in the great county of Centre County. Theres some fine fishing here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page