Thawed Out My Spinning Rod - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By FrankTroutAngler
  • 1 Post By Trout 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Thawed Out My Spinning Rod

Thawed Out My Spinning Rod

January 2018 began with frigid cold and frozen-over streams. Even Spring Creek in Centre County iced over severely in many stretches – a very rare sight for the big limestoner. But as the month progressed winter’s grip loosened. The snow melted and the ice receded.

While waiting for my opportunity to thaw out my spinning rod and pounce on a stream, I spent many days in the mountains hiking around just to see what I could see and to get some exercise.

I found an area on a State Game Lands that had many large boulders.

I saw many small buck rubs.

I also found some buck rubs that I believe are called “community” rubs, meaning that all of the bucks in a certain area leave their mark there each year on the same tree.

Interestingly, though I walked many miles and covered a large area of land, all of the large rubs were in close proximity to the spot where I hunt deer.

One day I found what I believe is a dead coyote, though I suppose it is possible that it is a gray fox.

On Monday, January 22, I decided to begin my 40th year of casting spinners, a pursuit that continues to capture my imagination.

The air temperature was 36-degrees at daybreak and the water was 44.5-degrees. The trout were hitting decently for wintertime and my first stop of the day yielded 37 wild brown trout in 5.50 hours.

From there I drove to another limestone stream, one that is not affected as much by cold weather due to its many springs that enter the main stream at about 48 to 52 degrees year-round.
The water was 46-degrees, not bad for a winter outing, and the action was better than earlier in the day. In 3.25 hours I tallied 33 more trout, giving me 70 trout in 8.75 hours for the day. Two 14”ers were my largest fish of the day. They were both caught in the afternoon.

My next opportunity to fish came on Sunday, January 28th. Again the air temperature was 36-degrees and the water 44.5-degrees at daybreak. However, the action was pretty slow for my expectations. In the morning I bounced around on three sections of one stream and in 4.25 hours caught 30 trout.

The highlight came on the third stop. I walked over to the stream and on my very first cast this 18” wild brown couldn’t resist my White Bead Gold spinner.

A handful of casts later this 15”er slammed my spinner.

In the afternoon I hit a different limestoner. I didn’t see any angler tracks but the action was really slow. However, I didn’t feel like trying to find another place to fish so I just hung in there hoping the trout would turn-on at some point. This never happened and in 4.25 hours I duped just 24 trout to give me 54 trout in 8.50 hours for the day.

Though I felt the fishing was slow, for winter angling it really wasn’t all that bad. I used to consider a 20-trout day to be my minimum standard for a good day of fishing in the winter, but in recent years I’ve increased this standard to 30-trout and more recently to 40-trout.

Hopefully February will bring some more decent trout fishing weather. Last year we had one week of unusually warm weather in February. It was warm enough for an extended time that I even fished a remote mountain stream, something I rarely do in the winter because the water is relatively too cold. We’ll have to wait and see what February brings this year but I hope the frost doesn’t start accumulating on my fishing rod again.

- Frank Nale -

I can be contacted at [email protected].

Last edited by FrankTroutAngler; 02-04-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 01:45 PM

Terrific report as usual Frank, thanks for sharing the pictures and story!!! :-)

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:31 PM

An excellent start to the year Frank! I didn't fish at all this month so I'm glad you were able to get out a couple times.

You caught a lot of trout, especially with how poor the conditions have been this month. Congrats on getting your first hog of the new year. I enjoyed the pictures, especially the buck rubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 08:29 PM
Part of the Community

Coyote for sure.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 09:08 PM

thanks for sharing, nice pics
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Those browns are gorgeous!

Hoping to get into some myself in a couple weeks! Those spinners I ordered from you will be put to good use!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM

Frank,Thanks for sharing,you are off to a good start !!

Nature can teach us alot.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 03:06 PM

Can you really trust what TDM says about PA Canines????? what's he know hahaha.

Fine start right there Frank. I'm jealous of the free time you have these days. I'm blessed to be able to get to the outdoors a lot when conditions are right but I have to make up for it in the office with long hours. My limited time is spent trout fishing or hunting. Taking strolls in the woods would be so cool to do and I'd learn so much. Well.......you know the feeling of course. Enjoy your time out there my man!
bigguy54 likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
Can you really trust what TDM says about PA Canines????? what's he know hahaha.

Fine start right there Frank. I'm jealous of the free time you have these days. I'm blessed to be able to get to the outdoors a lot when conditions are right but I have to make up for it in the office with long hours. My limited time is spent trout fishing or hunting. Taking strolls in the woods would be so cool to do and I'd learn so much. Well.......you know the feeling of course. Enjoy your time out there my man!
I was pretty sure that it was a coyote but didn't want to get it rammed down my throat if I was wrong. I actually did a Google search on coyote and fox teeth but they looked very similar. I was glad Troutdoorsman confirmed my suspicion. I trust his knowledge.

Your time will come when you'll have more time to spend in the outdoors. I'm a good bit older than you so it's only natural that I'd retire sooner.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Part of the Community

Great report, thank you !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page