post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Steelhead

Looking to try steelhead fishing this year with my son any idea's or hints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 08:28 PM
Sage

Erie is like opening day every day. Be prepared to fish shoulder to shoulder at the prime spots...unless you are willing to hike a bit.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 08:33 PM
The Man

If you can, go through the week. I have had some really good days through the week. And get there early. Try to fish when the water is up and off color a bit.

Also if you can, go for more than one day. And stick with it. Just when your attention lapses, you'll get some action and need to be prepared. If something isn't working, change baits or lures frequently. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:26 PM
Part of the Community

I have gone early and have hit the stream about 6am and i had lots of company . For me it seems that about 10am most guys are off the creeks and either on the way home or have moved to other spots . The fish seem to move up stream whenever they want so it can be dead for a few hours and then all of a sudden turn on . As stated above if you can go for more than one day as there are some nice hotels to stay at .
We used to leave at 4am and arrive at 6am , fish until 5 and drive home , anymore that's just to hard so stay a day if you can . As far as bait goes i have always had luck with live emerald shiners although salted ones work too , and are easier to deal with . It will be a thrill for your son if he hooks into one as they are fighters and very acrobatic its something he will not forget , however i must warn you that if you hit a good day
you will be making that trip every year . If you are real lucky you may hook into one of the big brownies that come up the tribs.
Another thing that i would suggest is to go on fisherie.com and check the stream reports it may save you a long trip just to find the creeks unfishable due to rain , there is also a bait shop ( Poor Richards ) you can give them a call and they will give you a fishing and stream report . Good Luck , you will have fun
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 02:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Was just up in Erie yesterday. My friend and I began on Walnut but due to conditions and amount of anglers, we didn't bother wetting a line there... Then we mover to lower Elk where the ice piles and slush made it kinda miserable for us ( Did see one guy catching pretty well )... Finally we moved to what I believe was 16 mile in North East Erie. Fishing there was a little slow at first, but I managed to land 8 Steelhead and a large Brown Trout ( Hooked and lost close to 50 though ), and my friend managed to land 3 once I showed him what to do.. All ours were caught in Emeralds!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 02:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Ideas and Hints: 4 pound test line with drag set accordingly.... size 12 hooks.... run a barrel part of a swivel about a foot above your hook, then add 2 small splitshot above the swivel...... And the biggest hint: Just because you can't see the fish - does not mean they aren't there!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We've had good success with pink worms under a float while drift fishing.

Check out some youtube video's.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page