Pictures from Past Western Trips - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Kudu58 requested that I post pictures from past western trips, so since he asked so nicely, I have done it. I want to include it in one post, so please bear with me. There are a lot of photos, so remember, you ASKED FOR IT!

I went on four different trips. I'm not going to post the details as I did previously. I will just provide an overview and let the pictures speak for themselves. I hope you enjoy them.

Trip #1 was in August, of 2006. My father turned 75 that year, so my siblings and I combined to give him a trip. We went to Alberta and British Columbia. We had a great guide, Jaime Trento.

Streams fished, all streams listed below are in Alberta except for the Elk.

Day 1 - Bow River
Day 2-Bow River
Day 3- Oldman River (lower), Crowsnest River
Day 4-Elk River
Day 5-Oldman River (upper)

On to the pictures.

21 inch Bow River brown trout (photo by Jaime Trento)

21 1/2 inch Bow River rainbow trout (Photo by Jaime Trento)

My father at the Lundbreck Falls on the Crowsnest River

Overhead view of the falls (photo by Jaime Trento)

My first ever bull trout, a 17 incher, caught below the falls on the Crowsnest River (Jaime Trento photo)

Fighting a westslope cutthroat trout on the Elk River (Jaime Trento photo)

An Elk River cutthroat with no gill plate, a genetic mutation. We caught a few like this.

Jaime Trento with a nice Elk River cutthroat

On the Elk River

An overlook on the Oldman River

Dad fishing the Oldman (Jaime Trento photo)

Fishing a deep pool on the Oldman (Jaime Trento photo)
kudu58 and loridr like this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 01-28-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Continued from previous post.

Trip #2 was in September of 2008. I returned to the same area I had fished with my father in 2006, but Mark McKenzie made the trip this time. We had the same great guide, Jaime Trento. We fished from a drift boat every day except the second day. Again, all streams listed below are in Alberta except the Elk River.

Streams fished:

Day 1: Bow River
Day 2: Highwood River, Livingston River, Oldman River (upper)
Day 3: Elk River
Day 4: Elk River
Day 5: Bow River

Mark and Jaime with a large Bow River rainbow trout

Bow River

19 inch bull trout caught by me on the Highwood River

Jaime and Mark with a 17 inch westslope cutthroat caught by Mark

Crowsnest Pass

Ranch along the Oldman River

Jaime holding an 18 1/2 inch cutthroat that I caught on the Elk River

The scenic beauty of the Elk River

Sometimes you just have to stop, look up from the river and appreciate what's around you

The trout of the trip! A 27 inch bull trout that inhaled a cutthroat that Mark was bringing in

Mark and Jaime with the huge bull trout. About an hour earlier, we had one follow that was in the 33-35 inch range!

Unique coloring on the belly of cutthroat trout

A 20 inch brown trout on the Bow River, the last trout of the trip, landed a few yards before the take out point. (Mark McKenzie photo)
kudu58 likes this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 01-28-2018 at 07:26 PM.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:00 PM

Great scenery and beautiful trout. When I hunt out west, I always fished too. Going out a few days early and fishing helped to acclimate to the elevations before the hunt started. My favorites were the St. Joe River in Idaho, the Gunnison in Colorado, and Huntington Creek in Utah. The St. Joe had incredible cutthroats!
Trout Traveler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:04 PM

You are a trout catching machine.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

continued from previous post

Trip #3

I was not planning on taking a trip in 2009, but the Hershey Company had a grand opening for the distribution center in Ogden, UT. I was on the implementation team, so I had the privilege of attending. Kahle Becker, a friend of Trout2003, who I had fished with a few times when he lived in PA, graciously invited me to stay at his house in Idaho. I fished with Kahle and his father the first two days, with Kahle the third day, and solo the rest of the trip. The trip was at the end of June. As you will see, the water was very high from run-off as they had very heavy snowfall that winter. All of the streams listed below are in Idaho except for the Owyhee River, which is in SE Oregon. I used a guide on the South Fork of the Snake since it is a huge river and it was extraordinarily high (43,000 CFS).

I included some pictures from Craters of the Moon National Park. There was a series of volcano eruptions a long time ago.

Streams fished:

Day 1: South Branch Boise River
Day 2: Owyhee River
Day 3: Middle Branch Salmon River, Bear Valley Run
Day 4: Silver Creek, Big Wood River
Day 5: Big Lost River, East Fork Big Lost River, Summit Creek
Day 6: South Branch, Snake River
Day 7: Pine Creek, tributary to South Branch, Snake River

South Fork Boise River

Kahle with a 20 inch rainbow on the South Fork of the Boise

Closeup of me holding an 18 inch brown on the Owyhee River (Kahle Becker photo)

21 inch brown on the Owyhee

Unique rock formation along the Owyhee

Early morning in the Sawtooth Mountains

On the Middle Fork of the Salmon River (Kahle Becker photo)

17 inch bull trout on the Middle Fork of the Salmon (Kahle Becker photo)

Middle Fork of the Salmon at Dagger Falls

Kahle on the Middle Fork

Kahle with a 15 inch westslope cutthroat trout on the Middle Fork

Overlooking the Middle Fork

17 inch brown trout on famous Silver Creek

Craters of the Moon

The Lost River Mountain Range

Beaver dam on Summit Creek

19 inch brown trout on the South Fork of the Snake River (Brett Novik photo)

A rainbow-cutthroat hybrid on the South Fork (Brett Novik photo)

A Snake River Finespotted Cutthroat trout, one of five species of trout I caught that day

South Fork of the Snake

Yellowstone Cutthroat on the South Fork of the Snake (Brett Novik photo)

16 inch Yellowstone cutthroat on Pine Creek

I pulled off the road to take pictures of the stunning sunset. The two pictures above were taken within minutes of one another
kudu58 likes this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 01-25-2018 at 09:37 AM.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Continued from previous post.

This is the last one, trip #4. Mark McKenzie and I traveled to Montana in September of 2011. We fished for six days. We had a guide for four of the days. Brian Rosenberg guided us on the Madison and Missouri rivers, and Braden Powell was our guide on the Jefferson River. The other days, Mark and I fished on our own.

Streams fished:

Day 1: Madison River (near Varney)
Day 2: Ruby River
Day 3: Madison River
Day 4: Big Hole River, Beaverhead River
Day 5: Missouri River
Day 6: Jefferson River

Madison River, Lyons to Varney

Mark fighting and landing a 21 inch brown on the Madison

Mark and Brian with a large Madison River rainbow

Ruby River

Madison River, (50 mile riffle section)

A fat Madison River brown trout (Brian Rosenberg photo)

Mark with a 20 inch brown trout on the Missouri, caught before we even got in the boat!

Moose and calf on the Missouri River

19 3/4 inch Missouri River rainbow (Brian Rosenberg photo)

Mark McKenzie and Braden Powell on the Jefferson River

Two young bull moose along the Jefferson

The trout of the trip. 24 inch rainbow-cutthroat hybrid that broke the guide's net! (Braden Powell photo)

I hope you enjoyed the pictures from this long post. It's a good way to pass the time during the winter.
kudu58 and loridr like this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 01-28-2018 at 07:33 PM.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
Great scenery and beautiful trout. When I hunt out west, I always fished too. Going out a few days early and fishing helped to acclimate to the elevations before the hunt started. My favorites were the St. Joe River in Idaho, the Gunnison in Colorado, and Huntington Creek in Utah. The St. Joe had incredible cutthroats!
Thanks! I thought about fishing the St. Joe in Idaho but didn't have the time.
kudu58 likes this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 01-24-2018 at 01:09 PM.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
You are a trout catching machine.
Thanks, but you should know that Mark caught more trout than I did on the second Canada and the Montana trip.

Due to my travels, I've been privileged to catch quite a few different species of trout but there a lot that I have never caught a likely never will catch. The species that I have caught:

Brown
Brook
Rainbow
Tiger (wild and stocked)
Golden rainbow (the PA produced hatchery hybrid)
Westslope Cutthroat
Yellowstone Cutthroat
Snake River Fine Spotted Cutthroat
Rainbow-cutthroat hybrids (Westslope-rainbow, Yellowstone-rainbow, Snake River Fine Spotted-rainbow)
Bull

There are many sub-species of cutthroat. The Lahontan is the largest. In Idaho, I considered going to fish for Bonneville cutthroat, which are found only in one river system, but it would have been a very long drive from where I was.

I am not a lake fisherman, so I've never caught a lake trout. The upper Big Hole River has grayling, which is not a trout, but we fished the Big Hole below where the grayling are common so we didn't catch any of those. Jaime Trento, our guide on two trips, has made several trips to Victoria Island in the arctic and has caught huge arctic char. I'd love to fish for arctic char, if I only had the money.

Mark McKenzie has told me about a Youtube video he saw where people caught taimen, a huge trout found in Siberia. It would be great to catch huge fish like that, but again, it's a tremendously expensive trip, and of all the places to go in the world, Russia is not high on my list.

We considered a trip to Alaska a few years ago to fish for big rainbows, Dolly Varden, and salmon, but decided against it due to the expense.

I'd be interested to know what trout species other anglers in this forum have caught. Has anyone been to Alaska or northern Canada and caught arctic char, grayling, Dolly Varden? Some streams in California and some lakes in the Sierra Mountains have golden trout. Has anyone caught any of those?
kudu58 likes this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 01-28-2018 at 07:56 PM.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 08:47 PM
Part of the Community

Really great looking scenery. On your western trips, did you use the same arsenal of plugs and spinners? If so, were the results similar to that which you experience in PA? One of these days I am going to plan a family vacation out west where I can also get some fishing in. I have caught wild trout to the south and west of pittsburgh and east of the Ohio River, but I've never fished west of the 80 degree longitude line. Thats the extent of my western trout fishing.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:59 PM
The Man

TT, I can't thank you enough for posting those!!! Loved it!!! You certainly lived up to your username on those trips. Congrats on those bull trout. Not many people can say they've caught them. And once again----tremendous photography. I wish I had that knack.
When I lived near Ennis, I used to drive down to the Varney Bridge and wade fish pretty frequently. That stretch and the Beartrap Canyon were my favorite spots. Can't wait to get out there this summer. The Madison and Yellowstone are definitely on the list and for sure the Firehole in the park. I also have a high mountain lake that we'll hike up to for some cutthroats. And a small local stream that I won't name. My final destination is actually an irrigation ditch on a ranch owned by a guy who I used to do some work for. I'm going to stop by and see if he's still there and if he'll let me fish it again. Used to catch some browns in that ditch that would just knock your socks off.

Thanks for building the anticipation and great job!!! I am jealous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page