4Likes
  • 1 Post By Trout Traveler
  • 1 Post By bjb2799
  • 1 Post By FrankTroutAngler
  • 1 Post By Trout 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Last Outing of the Year

I took advantage of the warmer weather today to fish a very popular limestoner. Many streams have a lot of ice on them from the recent spate of cold weather so the fishing options were limited.

The stream was lower than expected. The water temperature was 45 degrees and I did not have high expectations. It was a strange day of fishing. I had long periods of inactivity and was ready to leave, then I would catch a trout or two or get follows. In the first half hour I didn't have a single follow on a spinner, so I switched to a small Countdown Rapala. The first two casts produced nothing but a nice trout followed on the next two casts but didn't hit. A few minutes later my first trout of the day came to hand. It was a 14 inch wild brown trout. Only two more trout were landed the first hour, browns of 13.75 and 13 inches.

The second hour also produced only three trout; a 9.5 inch native brookie and browns of 12 and 10.5 inches. I decided to try a spinner again, but tied on a different one. On my first cast, a big trout drilled it and took to the air. Fortunately, the hooks held and a few minutes later, I measured a 16.5 inch brown. On the very next cast, I caught an 11 inch brown. A nice trout followed on the next cast but didn't hit. I wondered why I hadn't tried that spinner earlier. I caught two small browns before having another period of inactivity.

A 13.5 inch brown and a 9 inch brook interrupted the inactivity before another dead period made me decide to head back to my car.

I went to a section I hadn't fished this year. I caught three browns of 12, 10, and 12 inches, along with a 10.75 inch brook trout. I fished up a little further before heading back to my car. On the way back, a pickup truck with two fishermen pulled over and asked me how the fishing was. I told them it was slow for the most part. They said they had not yet caught any.

I drove to one more spot which has been very reliable for me this year. Unfortunately, it became very apparent that the section had recently been fished. I only had one trout follow, so I decided to call it a day. For the day, I caught only 16 trout; 13 browns and 3 brooks. The biggest trout was a 16.5 inch brown. I caught my first hog of the year and what will likely be my last big trout of the year in the same stream.

Even though it's supposed to warm up this Saturday, it's very unlikely that I will fish again in 2017, so hopefully 2018 will have great conditions and superb fishing.

bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for consistently posting year round! Looking forward to reading your reports in 2018.
Trout Traveler likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:56 AM

I'll second what bjb2799 said. You've been a great addition to this site and I always look forward to your reports.

That's a beautiful adipose fin on that large brown trout! Those are large native brookies, too.

I fished yesterday (Tuesday) too and I may try to get out again if the weather cooperates. Saturday looks like the next potential day weather-wise. Hopefully there won't be too many other anglers out that day since it is winter and Christmas weekend.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb2799 View Post
Thanks for consistently posting year round! Looking forward to reading your reports in 2018.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTroutAngler View Post
I'll second what bjb2799 said. You've been a great addition to this site and I always look forward to your reports.

That's a beautiful adipose fin on that large brown trout! Those are large native brookies, too.

I fished yesterday (Tuesday) too and I may try to get out again if the weather cooperates. Saturday looks like the next potential day weather-wise. Hopefully there won't be too many other anglers out that day since it is winter and Christmas weekend.
Thank you very much for the kind words gentlemen. I very much appreciate it. I will posting my yearly summary fairly soon. I hope everyone will enjoy reading it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 01:24 PM

Well done and a fiiiiine season TT. Hope you and everyone else have a splendid holiday season.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
Well done and a fiiiiine season TT. Hope you and everyone else have a splendid holiday season.
Thanks Trout2003. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page