Some Late Fall Trouting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Some Late Fall Trouting

Although I don't fish a lot in October and November I seem to always get out 2-3 times each year. I'm very picky about my days and don't even consider fishing when the night time temps are below 50 degrees as the action is inevitably less then great. Obviously waiting for this types of conditions doesn't leave many options for spinner fishing. On November 3rd I got the overnight temps I was looking for at 55 degrees so I took my last fishing day off of the year and hit the water.

On the drive to the stream I was extremely optimistic about excellent action for giant wild browns. Surely every cast was going to be met with a 20" brown on this day because they are soooo easy and vulnerable this time of year! At least that what we're always told. In reality I wasn't overly surprised by the extremely slow action to start the AM. In water that will produce trout after trout in July and August, there was barely a trout to be seen today. The first hour produced only 1 single small trout and the second hour wasn't much better with 4. I was off to a blazing start (not) and beginning to regret spending a vacation day in the fall to trout fish. Thankfully the foliage was breathtaking through the AM and that occupied much of my time taking photos.

20180822224129_IMG_4920 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

20180822193419_IMG_4910 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr
as the morning wore on into the 3rd hour the air temps started to pick up a little steam and the water temp followed in tow. The stream started at 50 degrees and by the time the clock struck 10am it was up to 51.5 and finally the trout started to cooperate. 7 and then 11 trout were landed the next two hours before I finally decided to move on from my first stream locations.

20180822230547_IMG_4937 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

20180822225100_IMG_4931 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

It was only lunch time and since I'd taken the whole day off I figured it would be a waste to just head straight home on such a warm day so I decided to try another large stream in hopes of finding some cooperative large browns on this fine late autumn afternoon. Following all the rain lately, streams are up and in excellent shape in most areas headed into winter.

20180822215217_IMG_4912 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

while the big trout again did not cooperate the smaller fish were out in force and I enjoyed 2-3 hours of very steady action.

20180822231308_IMG_4952 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

20180822230642_IMG_4939 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

20180822231955_IMG_4962 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

Since I'd forgotten my bike at home that morning I decided to pull the plug before I got too too far away from the truck and ended up having to waste a lot of valuable time walking back instead of riding. During the short walk the sun finally peaked out and really lite up the leaves so I spent yet more time taking photos. It's something I've come to enjoy more and more with each passing year now.

20180823000133_IMG_4964 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

During the trip I did not see any trout spawning, I did not see a single redd anywhere, I didn't even catch a trout that appeared to have eggs in it. I was hoping that I could 'ruin the sport of trout fishing' today as another member implied might happen on a recent TroutTraveler post, but I don't even think I managed to make a dent on this day ;-)

Today we had another 50+ degree night but after the less than stellar action last Friday I wasn't about to blow another personal day on a 'chance' so I just came into work. The extended forecast has a taste of winter arriving the end of this week and the likelihood that quality fishing weather will return is poor. It certainly looks like its archery hunting and waterfowl action from here on out which suites me juuuuuuuust fine. I'm where ever the best action is. Who knows though, maybe mother nature will provide a warm spell in there somewhere.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 11-06-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great pics Zak. You are getting really good with that camera. If you have time to spare, hit me up and I will drag you out Striper fishing. They are picking up, we boated 80 this past week, not many keepers but I can't tell you how much fun it is. Time for you to get great at another species.
bigguy54 likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Now that trout season is basically over I'd be willing to hit up some strippers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
Strippers or stripers? Slight difference
bigguy54 likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
This weekend conditions look favorable. Text me if you want to go. I practically pass your house on the way.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:52 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Traveler View Post
Strippers or stripers? Slight difference

LOL....you have no idea how on point you are. If you strike out on the stripers on Raritan bay, you can cruise the local strips, there are more "clubs" per capita there than I think anywhere in the world. LOL
bigguy54 likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Why are you questioning what I write???????? ;-)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 08:57 AM

Excellent pictures! Friday was a tough day fishing despite good conditions.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Part of the Community

Have you been using you net for landing or for picture taking purposes? When I take mine, I do actually find some use for it in landing fish, despite years of not using one. There was a time or two this summer where I think I might have otherwise lost the fish.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

If I wasn't taking pics I would never carry one I doubt but I like having it so I don't lose decent picture fish while fooling around with the camera.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page