An Autumn Day on The River - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

An Autumn Day on The River

20180804191741_IMG_4659 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

As I stumbled over a jagged submerged boulder mound to spy my next target the faint smell of wood smoke and autumn leaves filled my nostrils. I paused to glance at my surroundings and thought to myself....'FINALLY......Fall is here'. While the leaves around me were a bit slow to change due to the extended summer we've had of late, at least on this morning, everything was tuned in just right for a very enjoyed fall day on the water.

I found the river to be in rare form and I was awfully excited about it. It had been 2 full Falls since I was able to test my skills on what I consider to be the most challenging fishing experience Pennsylvania has to offer this side of the Yough River. Boulders the size of school buses, depths that can change from 1' to 10' in a mere step, cross currents that would make a fly fisherman huddle in a ball in the corner rocking back and forth for hours on end, and last but not least.....TROUT....and plenty of them if you able to negotiate the water effectively. And there in lies the challenge. It's snail-pace fishing at times due to the rivers overall power and challenging wading. You simply cannot catch a 'lot' of fish here because you simply can't get to them fast enough. At least I haven't figured out how to yet ;-). The fish you catch are hard earned and robust and at least to me, worth the time and effort it takes. It's a truly unique fishing experience in a near wildness setting. How could you ask for more.

I was lucky on my first cast when I missed the trout that hit. Two casts later, from a different eddy behind a massive boulder, a nice wild brown churned the surface and a big smile went across my face. I quickly brought trout #1 to hand and knew I was in for a good time.

20180804191653_IMG_4657 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

Hook ups were coming from almost every likely spot but getting to those likely spots was never easy. Many situations required careful decisions to avoid 'A River Runs Through It' moments. The sights on the river are always amazing though this time of year.

20180804204541_IMG_4683 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

20180804205825_IMG_4691 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

I missed quite a few trout in the terrible cross currents but the action the hits provided kept me plugging away for more moments like this.

20180804194443_IMG_4669 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

20180804191536_IMG_4652 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

Eventually the sun came out and I had fished to the bottom of what looked to be a half mile long pool that was bank to bank 10 feet deep with sheer cliffs on either side. I made the decision to pack it in rather than bust a path to the head of the pool where I am sure more willing trout would have been holding.

On the walk back and came across this amazing waterfall.

20180804211451_IMG_4696 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

And even dipped my spinner into a new brookie stream to the tune of two native trout.

20180804212133_IMG_4699 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

I was in no real rush to get back to the truck. The 55 degree air temp and cool breeze where just all too inviting. But duties called and I had to go. Not sure if I'll get out again in the foreseeable future. I guess PA's Rut activity will dictate that for me. It's time to hang the fishing rod up for the time being and get into the tree stand. With any luck I'll fill that tag in hurry (but not too much of a hurry) and get back onto the water. If not, it was a heII of a way to end a fantastic trout fishing campaign!
Trout Traveler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

I give you major props for wading a river like that. I have waded rivers in Vermont half that size with similar features and always seem to come home with a few bumps and bruises. Part of my problem is that I like to move upstream at a decent pace and as you point out, that really can't be done in rivers like those.

Still, looks like a great outing and some decent sized trout. This is one of those posts that I prefer to live vicariously through the poster.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 AM

I really enjoyed this! Thanks for sharing.

Pence/Putin 2024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 11:49 AM

Beautiful stream shots! You caught some nice trout. I have fished that stream, but not for a long time. It is brutal to wade. Congrats on catching some nice trout when streams with enough water to fish are few and far between.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

On that note. It was the first time using the aluminum bar boots on what I consider to be the most slippery wading in the east. They did really really well and definitely better grip then my felt the last time I was there. I've used the aluminum now probably 12-15 outting in a row on a variety of stream bottoms and I'm definitely sold at this point. I just feel so much more stable with those boots on. More durable then felt with the same grip. What's not to like!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
20180804191741_IMG_4659 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

...Boulders the size of school buses, depths that can change from 1' to 10' in a mere step, cross currents that would make a fly fisherman huddle in a ball in the corner rocking back and forth for hours on end...

20180804191653_IMG_4657 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

!
Tripping over one of those stones could also damage a personís nicely manicured fingernails.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Oh, you got offended by the fly fishing comment. I figured some anti spinner fly fisherman would. It wasn't malicious man, relax. It was a comment about how cross currents effect fly fishing a d flyfisherman and how it can make you crazy at times. I know because I fly fish at times. It was a play on words for a description and a story. It wasn't a fly fishing attack as I dont participate is that and support ALL forms of trout fishing. Why you feel the need to occasionally be a jerk on my posts is a whole other mystery......
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Nice outing.

The few rare times that I've fished streams with lots of boulders and water that goes from shallow to deep in two steps makes me appreciate where I usually fish.

Had the action been good I would have been all over that small stream you fished before quitting for the day. Of course, even it looked hard to navigate with all of those large rocks. Its flow looked pretty good considering how dry it is lately.

As far as to why MT_Flyfisher occasionally feels the need to be a jerk on your posts, there's really no mystery to that. When you're on top there's always going to someone trying to knock you down a peg. He's been doing the same thing to me for years and the reason is pretty simple.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 08:43 PM
Part of the Community

Beautiful shot of the river. That is a perfect day in my book...overcast,cool,scent of decaying leaves,fall colors...doesn't get any better than that.

That river looks like it would be dangerous to me. It looks significantly smaller than the Yough, and I think I would get myself in trouble by trying to blast my way into places I shouldn't be wading.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsmen View Post
Beautiful shot of the river. That is a perfect day in my book...overcast,cool,scent of decaying leaves,fall colors...doesn't get any better than that.

That river looks like it would be dangerous to me. It looks significantly smaller than the Yough, and I think I would get myself in trouble by trying to blast my way into places I shouldn't be wading.
It is a beautiful river. I fished it recently and didn't do well at all. I only caught a few trout before I left for another stream, but I did catch a 17" brown.

The wading is absolutely brutal. On some streams, you can walk and fish and not worry too much about falling. When fishing this stream you have to concentrate on wading and be sure of your footing. As Trout2003 said, there are huge boulders, rounded slippery rocks, and step offs. If you don't pay attention, you will fall, and you might anyway. I don't have one, but an inflatable vest would be a good idea there. A helmet might not be a bad idea either. The only stream that I've waded that's harder to wade is the Yough. Most streams can be fished with hip boots. It would be extraordinarily difficult on this stream unless the water was very low.

I think to fish there you just have to reduce your expectations on how much water you're going to cover.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 10-22-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page