Last Few Outings - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bjb2799

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Last Few Outings

Typical for this time of the year, my fishing trips have been few and far between. I snuck out for several hours over a weekend in mid-September, but I felt that there was not enough content for a full forum post and decided I would include the photos from that trip into a later forum post with more substance.

Saturday, 9/16 and Sunday, 9/17

With most stream flows in NE PA at a little more than a trickle in mid-September, I fished two different sections of the same stream for about an hour and a half each day over the weekend. Saturday fished better than expected for me given the conditions and Sunday fished like I would have expected – slow and unproductive.

Not a bad looking stretch of water. On my walk back to my car, I found out that this section was actually running through posted land (the landowner group did their best to conceal the red Posted signs behind tree branches and other debris).

Stream3by Brian B, on Flickr

The highlight of Saturday morning was this big, stocked brown that made a few strong runs and tested the drag system on my reel.

BrownTby Brian B, on Flickr

Streamby Brian B, on Flickr

Sunday morning’s fishing was tough in the low and clear water conditions.

Stream2by Brian B, on Flickr

Sunday’s trip did end on a high note with this unexpected rainbow. After countless leaps and runs, I was finally able to subdue the trout and get a picture or two.

Rainbow10 by Brian B, onFlickr

Saturday, October 14th

With almost a month long layoff from fishing, I was more than eager to get back on the water and put a few hours in chasing trout. Since the beginning of the year, I have had a few streams that I wanted to check out and explore. With time running out in the 2017 fishing season, I put one of these streams to the test this past Saturday.

2017.10.14by Brian B, on Flickr

The fishing started slower than expected, but it was still a bit dark out when I started casting. While moving upstream in the first pool of the day, something caught my eye that was swimming in my direction. When I took a good look, I realized it was a beaver swimming downstream about 10 feet from me. I figured he was moving on, but was quite surprised when a minute later that same beaver came swimming back upstream and was a foot or two closer to me this time. With that I picked up the pace and moved on upstream.

Plenty of clearance room…

… the small brown reward.

As expected, the farther I moved upstream (and farther from the easy access points), the better the fishing became.

The stream held a decent amount of excellent trout habitat structures, which made it quite fun to fish.

Trout from overhanging roots

Although most of the trout were wild browns, I was able to land a handful of brookies.

This big pool was more of a lake than a stream pool. With the water moving super slowly and the ultra-clear stream conditions, I wasn’t expecting much from this section.

On my first cast, I had a huge wake following my spinner. As soon as I saw the trout take my spinner, I set the hook. It was a great battle with plenty of runs before I brought the trout to hand. It’s hard to tell from the below picture, but the brute of a trout had bent my spinner rather badly and rendered it useless.

After retying, the next cast produced another decent brown about 20 feet upstream from the last trout.

One of the last trout of the day was a nice brookie. It looks stocked to me, but it really put up a decent fight (especially for a brookie).

Not sure when I’ll make it out again, but I’m certainly hoping it’s not another month long lull.
Trout Traveler likes this.

Last edited by bjb2799; 10-16-2017 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:43 PM

Nicely done. You captured a really good water shot on that rainbow, I'll tell ya. The image really 'POPS'. Looks like you did ok in finding water that was suitable. It's been meager out there!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 11:58 AM

Nice fishing in tough conditions. I like your trout and stream shots. I recognize the stream you fished on October 14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 11:20 AM

Those water levels on the small streams really don't look all that bad considering how dry it has been. The small mountain streams here in SC PA aren't flowing that well.

I too like the photo of the rainbow trout. Those photos are hard to take. Luck helps.

Years ago I was standing in a strong riffle about knee deep right at daybreak when there wasn't enough light to really fish yet and saw a beaver swimming downstream underwater about five feet away headed for a collision with my hip boots. I shifted my feet just enough that he noticed me and just missed hitting my boots. That'll make the hair on one's neck stand on end.

I occasionally get a spinner bent by a large trout or by hitting a cement bridge. I just grab the eye that holds the hook with my pliers and then straighten it with my fingers. Works well.

I can be contacted at [email protected].

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page