10/01 Salmon Report - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

10/01 Salmon Report

Started at the Salmon River above the Papermill Pool. Stayed there for 45 minutes and only saw four fish so decided to make a move. Next went to the Muskrat Hole above the Sportsman's Pool. Stayed there about an hour. Only saw one or two fish hooked. There were about a half dozen or so holding in a seam in front of me but also about 25 guys bombarding them. River was packed with fishermen, circus in town for weekend.
We decided to head over to Oswego next so I put away my fly rod and switched over to spinning gear. Worked our way up to the left corner of the dam where the most water was flowing. There was a decent amount of fish holding in the fast water. It just took some time for me to get at them, had to wait for some guys to depart the area. I'm not one of those guys that walk up and crunch right next to you while your fishing. Overall the crowd wasn't bad at Oswego at all. Once I got in I started hooking up pretty regularly. Ended up having close to 25 fish hooked and landing 2. Buddies landed a few as well. Not a bad day.
CROW MASTER likes this.

Never Misses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 12:39 PM

Boy things are moving along with the seasons and months. I wonder is this again is going to turn out to be a 'ho-hum' year on the Salmon. Everyone was saying it should be amazing but I haven't heard that year. I think a lot of people cling to that run of 4-5 years back. Keeping it's coming and never does.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 12:46 PM

Everyone is saying it is one of the best runs ever. Follow some of the facebook sites. Epic, best ever, unreal, never seen so many, 100+ hookups....thats every report from blackhole to altmar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Heading up tomorrow. First time salmon fishing for me.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianahunter View Post
Everyone is saying it is one of the best runs ever. Follow some of the facebook sites. Epic, best ever, unreal, never seen so many, 100+ hookups....thats every report from blackhole to altmar.
I've been up four times so far this season, been fishing the river since the mid 80's. Yes there are fish but by no means epic. Just have to be at the right place at the right time. There were a few good pushes of coho but other than that I'd say a steady stream of fish, no huge runs. Been catching way more over at Oz.

Never Misses
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 10:09 PM
New Arrival

Ok , nice!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 06:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtop View Post
Ok , nice!
the river will be ok. just like the past few years warm temps no rain. low water.. the salmon are here and there,, it takes a little walk up or down you'll find a few fish to hook.. target deep pools in the morning and fast water channels during the day Yes it's not lights out but there are some to be hooked you have to move!!!!! lower, mid ,upper bounce around those sections each day. I don't keep them so it's no big for me. a few on , a few tail releases a day suits me.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Regular Visitor

I fished DSR a total of 8 days in September over 3 different trips.......no problem landing fish any day and some days were better than others but from what I have seen it has been a great season so far. Plenty of fish in DSR when my 12 year old hooks all he wants on the 11 foot 8 weight with him picking the spots. Low water makes it real easy to know exactly where the fish will be holding or moving up river.Friday 9/29 DSR had tons of fish all day long and Saturday 9/30 was great as well. My group and I landed tons of fish both days. Hearing great reports from all over the river and they are stacked like cord wood in all of the deep holes. Little movement during the day with the bright sun up river and they are holding right in the white water for sure. Hearing from several credible reports that the lake is still fishing great so there are plenty more to come! Heading back up on Friday with my kid......if you see a guy and a 12 year old kid in oversized neoprene waders in DSR this weekend say hello. GREAT season so far from what I have experienced but have been fishing the salmon river for 25 years. Cannot wait for a 6 day trip in November for chrome!
bigguy54 likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Went on Tuesday and had a nice flow of fish till about 1. 3 of us got our limit and were gone. My first time ever doing it. Going back up next Thursday.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

what was your technique / rig?

Catch and Release, You wont.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page