September's Almost Over - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Trout 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

September's Almost Over

Thank god! This September has been pretty much like all the rest over the years. Hot........DRY.......Stale. With no meaningful rain in about 4 weeks streams are at their lowest point since last September and options for a quality fishing experience are about as slim as they could be. Over the past 2 weeks I've been forced to dig as deep at possible to find a place to keep my knees wet.

Last week I had a chance to visit a stream that I haven't been to in a while. I arrived early on this hot and humid Sept morning and was pleased to hear the sound of the stream in the distance, indicating that it was hopefully flowing well enough. After a short walk the stream came into sight and I was excited. The water fog hung tight to it's 57 degree flows.

20180706210823_IMG_3781 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

It only took short time for the first few trout to come to hand so the day was starting out as well as I could have hoped for. My intentions were to fish a long day so decent action was most welcome.

both brooks and browns were active.

20180706201154_IMG_3748 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

20180706230020_IMG_3800 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

Even though the forecast was for highs approaching 90 degrees the cold water kept me from ever really even breaking a sweat and even with the heat there where still signs of Fall all around.

20180706215548_IMG_3788 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

20180706201250_IMG_3757 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

After the quick start the fishing settled into a pretty normal Sept gallop which is much slowing than June, July, and Aug provide. Every 5-10 minutes a trout would come to hand.

20180706182340_IMG_3709 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

These Bald Faced hornets didn't seem too bothered by me as they continued to brood next years queens. I gave them a wide berth however

IMG_20170917_140538 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

Once the sun rose over the steep ravine things started to steam up good and it was time to hit the road. This would end up being my only long trip and century mark outing of September.

Back on the water a week later to what I expected to be a much shorter outing. The forecast again was hot and humid and there were no clouds so the sun would be on my back in no time. I got and early start and the 10 trout per hour pace was JUST enough to keep me going.

20180713204818_IMG_4263 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

20180713195734_IMG_4201 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

As usual on slower outings I sometimes press on hoping for that 'moment' and towards the end of the outing it arrived when this 19" wild brown grabbed my spinner from the churning depths of a deep run.

IMG_20170924_112819 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

I wasn't expecting that fish or the 18" brown I'd caught during the previous outing. It just goes to reinforce that you never really know. Wake up and get out there.

This uniquely colored wild brown was also a highlight of the outing

20180713201740_IMG_4221 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

It changes color in the back half of the fish. something that I've never seen before.

At 9:56am the sun hit my back and that was that for the day. The fishing just wasn't good enough to burn it out through the heat of the day. The walk back to the truck through the deeply shaded woods was rather pleasant and not hot at all. Although it wasn't a banner day on the stream it was certainly a worth while trip and I was home in time for waffles!

That's probably a rap for Sept fishing for this year and I can't say I'll miss seeing it go. Bring on October and cooler temps!
troutspinner and bigguy54 like this.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 09-26-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looks like you got into some nice fish there. As always enjoy your stories and pictures from your adventures.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 05:49 PM

Nice post, thanks for sharing and the pictures!!! :-)

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:29 PM
Part of the Community

Good job finding water and connecting with fish. It would take a monumental effort to do that here in western PA unless I went to the yough. I made it out twice in september, but the recent 10 day stretch of 80+ degrees killed my itch. I'm completely into preparation for trapping season so it would take a perfect storm (literally) to get me out on the water again this year.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Can't say I blame you. I'm pretty much forcing it at some points now. Archery starts Saturday. I've got one or two more trout fishing adventures left in me though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 09:29 AM

Nice photo of the hornet's nest in particular. Good stream shot, too, in the first photo.

I haven't been out fishing in a week due to the low water and heat. This has probably been the longest hot/dry stretch of the year. Mountain streams are barely flowing here in south-central PA.

I consider the fishing to just be in a lull right now rather than the near-end for the year. In fact, I'm looking forward to my favorite time for fishing of the entire year. Once it cools down the larger streams will be quite inviting, and we should start getting some rain to improve the mountain streams.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

I certainly hope your right Frank. I think the entire state is pretty much in the same situation with nobody doing better than anyone else right now. It's hard to get too worked up over it with the year we had last year of course but it would be nice to get a rainy boost headed into mid October so that trout can disperse in the northern tier and start to replenish things a bit.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 06:16 AM

You did a great job in bad conditions. You caught some beautiful browns. I especially like the one with the different colors and the big red spots. One of the most interesting things about trout fishing is how different trout vary in appearance not only from stream to stream, but within the same stream.

The stream conditions this month have really been lousy. We need significant rain soon!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page