9/17 Salmon Report - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

9/17 Salmon Report

Cousin of mine fished the Salmon River yesterday with little success so we decided to head to Oswego this morning.
Arrived there just alittle late due to a friend oversleeping. As we were heading up to the dam there were a few guys leaving saying "no fish".
Great I figured. So we worked our way up to the dam, water was pretty low. Decided to fish the left corner of the dam where the most water was running.
Fish were stacked in the fast water like cordwood. Hooked into one every other cast. Landing them was the problem. Must have had 50 fish hooked over the course of the day. Spent more time retying and chasing fish attempting to
Net them then anything else. It was 82 degrees and sunny, not quite great salmon fishing conditions. Overall had a great day however.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7409_1505689477511.JPG (1.00 MB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7404_1505689491609.jpg (1.23 MB, 30 views)

Never Misses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 09:04 PM
Banned

Very nice. Fish the SR on Thursday and we were slamming the cohos. Action was good all day with a couple slow times during the day. Fished the SR and it was slow but fish were still in the river. It was nothing like Thursday with mostly kings being hooked and some cohos. Way too hot out for my liking for salmon fishing and the lower section of the river was mostly empty. There were some people early morning but by 11 it was a ghost town. Mid river was a little crowded as we did a quick drive by before headed home.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 07:44 PM

What all do you use when fishing for salmon? Spinners, spoons, plugs, bait, flies?

What do you find most effective? I'm just curious. I've never fished for salmon in the Ontario tribs. I fished there in the fall for steelhead a long time ago. Almost all the salmon were dead or dying at the time I was there.

I assume it's very crowded just like it is for steelhead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

I use a fly rod primarily. Mostly throw egg pattern/estate eggs. When using a spinning rod will put a couple Jensen eggs on a #2 hook.

Never Misses
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Estaz egg pattern flies, I hate spellcheck. And yes, generally large crowds, especially on weekends.

Never Misses
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagler View Post
Estaz egg pattern flies, I hate spellcheck. And yes, generally large crowds, especially on weekends.
The last time I was there, I fished the Salmon and Oak Orchard (at the end of the day) and was amazed how many fishermen were there. I haven't been back since.

I fished the Erie tribs in the Spring quite a few years ago after not having been there for several years. I read that the fishing was a lot less crowded in the Spring, so I went there on a Wednesday and lower Elk and Walnut were almost elbow to elbow. I found an unoccupied spot on lower Walnut and a guy stomped right through the head of the pool not 20 feet in front of me. I left there and went to an area that was away from the road. It wasn't as packed, but there were still quite a few people. I loathe fishing in crowded conditions, and have not been back since. I've heard another Erie trib in NY doesn't get as much pressure, but I've learned that "not as much pressure" is relative. Some people consider it not to be crowded if there are less than 5-7 people fishing a pool.

I consider 5 people in a pool to be extremely crowded.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 09-23-2017 at 07:49 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 06:17 PM
Banned

With the the spinning rod I use the good ole Wooly bugger in black or olive. Sometimes I'll go with a weighted head on the Wolly bugger. Sometimes an egg pattern fly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page