'Killing time' outings - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

'Killing time' outings

Sept is annually my least favorite time of the year to fish. The summer is usually stale, it's typically very dry out, and it's normally hot as blazes, and the trout just seem to be lazy or resting prior to getting into that more aggressive pre-spawn mode. It's invariably my worst month year in and year out so instead of chasing my tail I try to bridge the typically very productive months of August and October by fishing places where I know I wont catch a lot of trout but maybe something interesting can take place.

This Sept has started out a little different and a LOT colder. This has created a different and unfamiliar Sept challenge and quite frankly, it hasn't helped matters. The month is already tough but when you're driving to your stream and the thermometer is saying 45 degrees day in and day out, it's not exactly a recipe for productive action. That's been the theme of the month so far. Much colder than average temps and very cold nights in trouty places.

During the first few days of Sept my old buddy Craigy 'Troutspinner' shot me a note about fishing. I hadn't fished with him in a long time so a trip was overdue. We decided to meet on a stream that was discovered by the both of us and a place we've fished at more than any other stream. After exchanging some pleasantries and suiting up we hit the water with tempered expectations due to the chilly 46 degree air temp. As expected the fishing was slow at first as we picked out way through some shallow riffles and swift deep pocket water. I figured as much but the fish just weren't cooperating in the faster current after the overnight temp drop. But we were picking up fish from slower pockets and pools so we decided to just skip the fast flowing quality habitat and focus more on the areas that we were finding active trout it. This approached turned the tide and provided pretty steady action.

IMG_20170901_231800 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

IMG_20170901_092106662 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

We ended up getting a very nice surprise when Craig set the hook on a smaller trout. As soon as it broke the surface of the water I knew something was off. I've caught enough 'strange' trout to know when something isn't right and sure enough he was tangled to the first Tiger that I've seen this year. He coaxed it in and what a pretty one it was!

IMG_20170901_090458507 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

Soon after that we came to the end of the line. The day was still very cold so instead of messing around we decided to just bag it and head for the home front. It was good to see him though and we'll do that again soon.

The last week plus has seen me bopping around this stream and that stream chasing water as usual. The action for the most part has been very slow but that's to be expected where I've been fishing. I suppose I could have went to any number of smaller stream that have been flowing well and caught more smaller fish but that hasn't held my interest of late. I go through cycles I guess. I've been on a kick of wanting to fish bigger water for bigger fish like this whopper that tackled my spinner is a shallow current at the top of a large pool.

IMG_20170909_105521_190 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

or this brown that hammered my spinner just as the sun was making its first appearance of the day.

IMG_20170910_073957_433 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

I have yet to fish what I would call a low stream this whole year.

IMG_20170911_095522_959 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

IMG_20170901_104839095 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

It really appears as though this will be the first year in a long time where there is no low water period. Most stream are lowish, but not seasonably low by any means. A good spawn should be in order so more of these can come to hand in the future.

IMG_20170901_191446 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

and these bigger ones

IMG_20170909_104601 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

It wont me long now until the fall fishing season kicks off and pictures like this all filled with green.

20180623180051_IMG_3191 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr

Start to fill up with autumn colors. But one thing that hopefully wont change is that I'll be fillin' the net with trout for at least a few more weeks.

IMG_20170911_095418_739 by Zak Appleby, on Flickr
bigguy54 and LenH like this.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 09-12-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:35 PM

Some very nice big browns you caught. Nice tiger caught by Troutspinner! I like the stream shots.

I've fished twice so far in September and both days were not good. One day was mediocre and the other day was lousy. I agree that trout fishing in September is often lousy.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great fishing with you again Zak, it was great to get out and chase some trout again. Great pics as well! Especially that handsome guy in the tan hat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=troutspinner;Especially that handsome guy in the tan hat![/QUOTE]
Modesty is overrated
troutspinner likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:57 AM
Part of the Community

I really like the picture of that brown breaking the surface of the water. I know how hard it is to get a shot like that with everything moving.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! And welcome back TDM. Glad you got that worked out and sorry I couldn't do more. My powers are limited.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 07:56 PM

Very nice photo of Craig.

That's one fine wild tiger trout, too.

September is kind of a transitional month. I think the fishing would be really good though if the water levels were higher. Around here the mountain streams are pretty much too low for any serious angling. I was hoping we'd get some serious rain from Irma but that's not going to happen.

You're probably waiting for someone to ask what that thing is attached to your spinner in the first photo??? Experiment?

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 PM
Part of the Community

My guess is that its a paper clip.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Haha, well I wasn't waiting but since you asked, according to Craigy it's called a 'quick change' clip and it's very popular around the salt water community. Its for guys that are changing baits and offerings very quickly. He used it for about 45 minutes before removing it since changing offers wasn't making any difference. Except for Trout Traveler I really see no benefit to it for regular spinner fishing.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 07:51 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTroutAngler View Post
Very nice photo of Craig.

That's one fine wild tiger trout, too.

September is kind of a transitional month. I think the fishing would be really good though if the water levels were higher. Around here the mountain streams are pretty much too low for any serious angling. I was hoping we'd get some serious rain from Irma but that's not going to happen.

You're probably waiting for someone to ask what that thing is attached to your spinner in the first photo??? Experiment?
Like Zak mentioned, it is a clip to change lures quickly and is something I enjoy using when fishing in saltwater. It is called a Tactical Angler Clip. I have NOTHING to do with the product but that day I tried it for trout fishing, exclusively with Andy in mind as I know he changes often to seize the moment hunting bigger trout.

FWIW, I could not find a reason to not recommend it to Andy (and did) as it had no ill or positive effect on the action of the spinner. For the typical spin angler, I see no reason to use it unless you also like to change often.....and if you do, you still can't forget to check for chaffs and nicks because you know that big one always hits when there is an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page