• 1 Post By bjb2799
  • 1 Post By bjb2799
  • 1 Post By bjb2799

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

August Vacation Fishing (2017)

August Vacation Fishing:

As with most family vacations over the past few years, I don’t get to get out and trout fish as nearly as much as I envision going into the vacation. We spent the last two weeks at our camper, but between the numerous friends and family visiting along with pre-planned family activities, my fishing time on the streams was very limited. We visited a lot of State Parks, which allowed me to do some lake fishing from my kayak, but it’s not the same as being knee deep in a cold stream chasing trout. Most of my trips were short in nature, but had decent results. Here’s a quick recap with some pictures.

Day 1 – Monday, August14th (My 13 Year Wedding Anniversary)

We arrived at our camper on Friday, August 11thand had close friends and their kids stay over the entire weekend. We took some great hikes (a few of those hikes were along awesome trout streams that were in prime condition from Friday’s storms), but my first crack at fishing wasn’t until Monday morning, which also happened to be my 13th wedding anniversary (thankfully my wife isn’t big into the sentimental events).

As I parked my car, I was greeted with this cautionary sign.This section of creek is maintained by a chapter of TU (signage posted), so I ignored the ‘no wading’ sign.

2017.08.14by Brian B, on Flickr

The water appeared to be in decent shape for late August.

I missed trout on my first several casts, but I was finally able to bring this guy to hand from the first pool.

Before long, the trout were coming to hand at a pretty consistent basis.

Every likely spot coughed up some action.

Before I knew it, I had hit the end of the open section. I decided to flip a cast under the chain (this is technically illegal) to see if I could totally maximize my time of the water.

And wouldn’t you know that I brought this trout back to the Public Side of the stream lol.

I had only fished for an hour and a half at this point, but given that it was my anniversary, I called it a day.

Day 2 - Wednesday,August 16th (Fishing with the Father-in-Law)

Wednesday morning found me exploring a new stream with my father-in-law. He turned 70 in April, so I was looking to fish a relatively easy-wading stream.

On the way to dinner the prior evening, I had my wife drive for the sole purpose of allowing me to do some window scouting of streams. Of course I also had her go the ‘long way’, but in the end, I was able to find a decent stream section that was relatively flat with open access.

Passed this homemade, Poconos road sign on the way to the stream. I see quite a few of these type of political signs scattered throughout the Pocono region.

2017.08.16by Brian B, on Flickr

It took us about 10 minutes to find an open way into the stream, but once we were touching water, we were impressed with the water levels and habitat before us.

My Father-in-Law working a stretch.

Average wild brown

I was expecting this stream to only yield wild browns, but I was surprised when we caught a few native brookies.

After about 45 minutes of fishing, my FIL lost a screw in his reel that made it inoperable. I offered to share my rod as we made our way upstream, but he opted to head back to camp. I was cooking my famous ‘camp breakfast’s’ that morning, so I completely understood haha.

Walk back to the car was just as impressive.

bigguy54 likes this.

Last edited by bjb2799; 08-30-2017 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Day 3 - Thursday,August 17th (No Pool for Me)

My in-laws departed our camp late morning on Thursday. The kids wanted to spend the rest of the day at the swimming pool. I’m not a big swimming pool person (especially when there aren’t any sights to partake in).So with that, I decided to fish a small stream that runs behind our campground.I knew the water would be low and clear and probably not very productive at1:00 in the afternoon, but ‘lousy fishing’ is better than ‘no fishing’.

Campground trail to the stream.

2018.08.17by Brian B, on Flickr

As expected: low and clear water.

The stream is small and so are most of the trout that I’ve caught out of it.

Probably the biggest brown that I have ever pulled from this stream came to hand from a decent pool.

Looking downstream

This is a small waterfall that comes from a Spring Pond above the hill. The Spring Pond is crystal clear and full of trout.

The stream comes to an abrupt end. This waterfall looks like it’s completely dry at the moment.

I only spent a little over an hour fishing, but I was impressed with the results.

Day 4 – Friday,August 24th (Picking up where Day 2 ended)

We had more company coming in early Friday afternoon and with the water levels pretty low, I decided to pick-up where my FIL and I left off on Wednesday.

Still decent water flowing.

2017.08.18by Brian B, on Flickr

Conch shell in the Poconos? Actually found another one further upstream.

A nice looking pool, but not even a bump.

It gets my adrenaline going when there is promising water ahead.

And just like that, the action really picked up.

Another short trip (1.5 hours), but I was more than pleased with the results and the fact that I found a new stream to add to the fold.
bigguy54 likes this.

Last edited by bjb2799; 08-30-2017 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Grammar
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Day 5 – Tuesday,August 22nd (Finally Hit the 3 Hour Mark)

Tuesday was going to be the day that I put in some decent time on a stream (at least more than an hour and a half). A quick thunderstorm had blown through the area late Monday night. I already had my sights set on a particular stream, but I was hoping for more water. Would Monday’s storm achieve this?

It was light out when I left the parking lot, but still dark at the bottom of the forested valley.

2017.08.22by Brian B, on Flickr

Even with a fast moving thunderstorm the night before, the water was still clear and on the low side. I guess it takes more than a quick moving thunderstorm to get this stream stirred up.

Even with the low and clear water, the trout didn’t seem to mind at all. In fact, my first 2 casts of the morning and cast number 4 were all met with a trout at the other end of the line.

Every nook seemed to have a trout hiding behind it.

The action was consistently good from start to finish.

At a certain point, the stream goes from predominantly wild brown trout to solely native brook trout.

When I reached a certain point on the stream, I had covered the water that I had intended to and really didn’t have it in me to push on any farther. I looked at my watch and I was two minutes short of 3 hours. With that I pushed out a few more casts and was able to add two more native brookies to my total.

bigguy54 likes this.

Last edited by bjb2799; 08-30-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Day 6 – Saturday,August 26th (Reminder How Good I Have it Near Our Camp)

We returned home on Thursday night so that the kids could go with their grandparents down to the beach and my wife had a fitness seminar to attend over the weekend. That gave me Saturday morning all to myself. Seeing that water levels were looking good in a certain area, I drove the hour and fifteen minutes from home to my target stream.

2017.08.26by Brian B, on Flickr

The action was fast and furious, but I couldn’t get these trout to commit. It seemed like almost every cast was greeted with a bump or a chase, but the trout just wouldn’t take the hook. It took me fifteen minutes to land my first of the morning.

It certainly didn’t help that a couple of anglers had made their way to the stream ahead of me. With this I moved upstream to another section and again, before long there was a fly fisherman ahead of me. Time to move on.

I headed to a new stream and parked my car up in order to hike a little downstream. It didn’t take me more than a minute to spot another angler working his way up. Okay, time to jump in and head upstream.

First trout on the new stream was a nice looking stocked brown.

I had fished this stream with a friend a couple of years ago in early May and we’re catching about 75% wild fish to stocked trout. Today was a different story. This was the only wild trout to be landed.

I was just happy to be catching trout at this point. Around my neck of the woods, the stocked trout are pretty much done by early July due to the streams warming up and the oxygen being depleted.

I always enjoy catching rainbow trout. Especially back to back rainbows.

Just like before, I rounded a bend and spied an angler slightly upstream. Given that I was at a good exit point, I decided to hop out and head for the car. Not the best way to end my August Vacation Fishing, but it was a good reminder of how fortunate I am to have a camper located near some fine trout streams.
bigguy54 likes this.

Last edited by bjb2799; 08-30-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Grammar
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:55 PM

I suck at recognizing streams but I finally got the day 5 stream. I haven't been there in years but used to more often. I've probably fished the others but I have no clue what I'm looking at in 2D lol.

Must have taken a while to post that one up so thanks for taking the time. When all those storms pushed though I thought about you up there and how lucky you where cause normally you have the worst like with rain haha. That was some good fortune cause things were getting really really low in recent days up north.

You saw a lot of fishing pressure that last day. I've been seeing more guys of late too. I will assume that with waters falling fisherman are now getting pushed into tighter and tighter locations. It's annoying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page