Dang! It's Chilly!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trout 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Dang! It's Chilly!!

Well, it’s August 28th and that is pretty much awrap for my primary trout fishing season this calendar year. By no means does that mean I’m done fishing for the year but instead that it becomes much less of a certainty that I’ll head out any given day or weekend. Some weeks I’ll go a few times and others none. Other things like the kids fall sports season, fall archery preparation, other hunting, and just the fact that Sept is almost always the worst month of trout fishing the year can offer, all combine to draw back my interest a lot. 2017 has been an amazing year for me. Although I haven’t totaled everything up for the season I’m pretty sure that I’ve set personal records in almost every category including the most trout I’ve ever caught in a year. Everything from this point forward is just a bonus and I’m sure quite a few additonal trout will come to hand over the next 2 months until I truly hang it up for the year to pursue other, more efficient, outdoor pursuits.

The start of my primary season wrap up run started last weekwith some bonus storm events that really hammered a lot of areas and left smaller free stones in prime shape. Arare treat from late August but not a very rare thing for this summer. The sun was shining bright early on but the air temps was cool and the dew point had been met in the big way.

20180607183131_IMG_2894by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

As I expect this time of year when storms brings streams upafter long periods of lower water, the fishing wasn’t really that great to start. I missed my first 4-5 trout asmy reel struggles continued and then had a decently long stretch of mediocre trout activity at best. I never really considered leaving as the options were limited and I was definitely on my best chance for success stream so I just figured I’d wait it out and see if the action improved as the light of day improved. As is normally the case, by 8am, the fishing improved greatly and most trouty looking spots were giving up a trout or two.

IMG_20170819_152826by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

Brooks were the minority though. They were far out numbered by the many browns in the stream.

20180607230430_IMG_2948by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

What I’m pretty sure are Hairy Sunflowers grew in the nearby woods with regularity

20180608000001_IMG_2957by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

I suppose it’s the time of year for spiders to really be out,as I’ve seen around my house, but this stream was CRAZY with webs. Some areas of the stream that were choked with vegetation were more like a horror story with spider webs. Oddly enough though there were few to no spiders evident. I’m sure they were hiding but as I broke through 50,000 lineal feet of web I never saw more than onespider and I was fine with that!

20180607180708_IMG_2885by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

But once I got out of the thick lower portion, the stream opened up into a more enjoyable forest layout.

20180607225148_IMG_2932by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

And more timber browns came to hand

20180607230405_IMG_2945by Zak Appleby, onFlickr
This lonely bench in the woods was interesting

20180607220047_IMG_2916by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

I crested well over the century mark by the time I had to leave. As I coasted on my mountain bike back to my truck I couldn’t help but think that this could well be the last day I get to fish a small mountain stream for the year. Looking at the 10 day showed little to no rain forecasted.

A few days later, with larger streams still flowing ok, I decided to squeeze out before work for a few hours to a local creek that is notoriously fickle with its brown trout. That trend didn’t change much on the morning. Browns came to hand but it was never really feverish from the streams gin clear flows.

20180611182004_IMG_3006by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

I was starting to consider my exit plan to get to work whenI tossed my spinner into the shallows at the head of the above photo’d run andwas greeted with a very heavy strike from a very heavy brown. It was the first fish that really zipped the drag from the new reel and it was a little awkward at first to dial the drag inas it was a very different feeling from the old reel. I sorted things out pretty quickly though and managed the bull dog to the bank in short order.

IMG_20170823_081418by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

At 20.5” it was another streak starter for the following days.

The next trip found me back in the water-seeking mode as most stream were now back to being low and not very spinner friendly. When I arrived at my chosen stream I arrived to the coldest August temperature that I ever recall seeing.

IMG_20170826_054822790by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

I’m sure I’ve heard of colder but I don’t ever recall seeing it. It felt like 45 too. Thankfully the stream has some thermal issues so the water temp was splendid 59 degrees. I was in wading pants and long sleeves tostart the day and I was still cold. My hands were numb so I was having trouble feeling the hits that were coming fairly consistently. The fishing wasgood until about 8am when the air temp finally become ‘comfortable’ and then things got very active and the big trout made an aggressive, albeit, short appearance. It started at the top of aheavy run when this 18” wild brown grabbed my spinner.

IMG_20170826_093941119by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

From a long slow pool not 3 minutes later this thumper shot off the bottom and hammered the offering

IMG_20170826_105058by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

Another 20”er in the bag for a 2nd trip in a row.

2 casts later an 18” latched on! And then 5 minutes after that I added another 16” trout. In 15 minutes I caught 4 large browns and figured the day was going from good to epic but just as fast as it turned on the light switch was hit and the fishing shut off. The sun had hit the water and that was that so instead of fighting it I decided to leave and committed to a return trip in the AM to see if I could capture more lightening in a bottle.

The next AM was a balmy 47 degrees when I arrived. I started at a different spot and was definitely on the hunt for larger browns but at the start only smaller ones were interested.

IMG_20170826_074047847_HDRby Zak Appleby, onFlickr

That was soon to change though as I approached the top of a shallow channelized area. A small cutin the stream had formed over the years and the 4’ deep run looked mighty inviting for a well placed cast. The spinner rolled deep through the churning water and a large flash let me knew to set the hook. I knew right away it was another 20” trout so I really wanted to get it in. By now I’ve FINALLY adjusted to the new reel and handled the brown fairly easily to hand.

IMG_20170827_131934by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

3rd straight outing with a 20. Now we have a streak going haha!

Even though the day was about as bright as possible the fishing was still pretty decent

20180611181515_IMG_3002by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

And the scenery was awesome as the sun cast its rays over the water.

20180615194950_IMG_3137by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

The Trico’s danced through the air regularly on this day.

20180615193329_IMG_3133by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

But eventually the sun shown too brightly and it was time to wrap it up and get to my kids games. I expect things to slow down now as we enter the true dog days of summer. The recent weather has been amazing……………..for golf, haha. I much prefer warm and humid AND WET weather for best trout fishing but I’ll take what Mother Nature gives and keep pushing along.
bigguy54 likes this.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 08-28-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 AM

Lovely looking water for late August.

2A-Wash. Co.

Last edited by Fleroo; 08-29-2017 at 06:51 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 11:01 AM

Excellent outings! Great trout pics and stream shots. Well done Trout!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 11:20 AM
Frequent Contributor

Some good looking pictures and awesome results for late August. It's hard to believe how fast this season flew by, but I'm glad that it fished well into August.

On a side note, I think in your last post, you mentioned that your Korkers were falling apart. Not sure if you resolved the issue, but Korkers has pretty good customer service. I had a pair a few years ago where the 'button' on the back heel of the boot snapped off. The boots were 18 months old (which I disclosed to them when I called). I was hoping for a $25 coupon that I could put towards a new pair, but instead they sent me a brand, new pair. I couldn't beat that and have been loyal to them ever since.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:19 AM

Terrific post and pictures once again, thank you for sharing!!!! :-)

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page