Higher water temperatures - a question! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Higher water temperatures - a question!

Hey guys, I had a pretty good day out on the water with my wife today. We fished close to the house in a fairly large river that runs through our town (shouldn't be hard to figure out which one!) and the water was cool but not cold. I went there specifically to catch the nice smallmouth and fallfish that inhabit that water. Imagine my surprise when my very first cast into the water landed me a 19 inch brown trout! Unfortunately we didn't have the camera with us since we were wet wading But that is where my question comes in. I didn't anticipate catching trout in that section of the river, and the water was definitely too warm to specifically target trout (I would have to guess not much colder than 70) but I still ended up catching one. I feel bad; he didn't seem stressed and he swam away fine. He came out of a fairly fast moving run with plenty of cover but I am worried I stressed him. So the question is, what are the odds I significantly hurt that fish, and what do you guys do to avoid catching trout in a river when the temperatures are too high and there is a chance of trout being present? I was using a green weenie because the bass there go nuts for them and I never thought I would catch a trout there, especially such a beautiful one as that. He had clearly been in the water for quite some time, had that nice blue gill spot, bronze belly and everything. It was a beautiful fish, I just feel terrible for catching him!!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 09:00 PM

It depends on how warm the water was, how long it took to land him. Did the trout fight hard or did it come in easily? When they do that, they're pretty badly stressed. If the fight was short, you got the hook out easily, and didn't remove it from the water it should be fine.

I always carry a stream thermometer so I know what the temperature is and can adjust accordingly.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 08-27-2017 at 04:17 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Eh, he fought fairly hard, added to the fact that he was a pretty hefty trout. Looked like he's been eating well for sure. I didn't remove him from the water completely, removing the hook took only a split second and I returned him to the water as soon as he wanted to swim. I was using gear for smallmouth so a 6wt rod; he was definitely pulling pretty good, but the bigger gear made a fairly fast fight. Like I said I have seen stressed out trout before and to me he didn't appear to be stressed. I just am hoping he didn't head back into the stream to his death. He certainly got back down and away in a hurry, he didn't swim away lazily or anything so here's hoping he's good!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:30 PM
The Man

If you're fishing for smallmouth and catch a trout, just release it quickly, then go on with your life.

What's more interesting to me is that you caught a nice trout in the Conemaugh River, if that's where you were fishing.

Where did it come from? Are there more of them in the river? Stocked trout? Wild trout? Are there tribs nearby with wild trout?

Is there a dam somewhere upstream with a cool water releases?

Trout are like cockroaches. There's never just one. (Or usually not.)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 04:03 PM

The USGS gauge in Seward shows that the conemaugh has been below 70 since Thursday and was 66 yesterday. I think you're fine. The trout swam off good and was obviously a big healthy fish I wouldn't worry.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Troutbert - Sent you a PM. I need a stream thermometer! Anyone have a recommendation of a good one?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 11:11 PM

You should be able to get one at a tackle shop near you for about $ 10.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 07:21 AM

You have no worries at all. There is a lot more that goes into dissolved O2 level then just stream temp. You also have to consider gradient as the more turbulence and more O2 regardless of water temp. Both of the rivers near where you live (and I assume it was the other one that you caught the trout from) have plenty of gradient and there is no issue at all in catching and releasing a trout assuming you don't mess around with it. That fish is juuuuust fine this cool AM. No worries.

Also, if you were fishing early I'm willing to bet that both rivers in your area are under 70 at daybreak and don't move higher until 10:30-11:00am. Mornings have been very cool and lake, stream, and river temps are dropping super fast right now.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 08-28-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page