Return to Fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Trout Traveler
  • 1 Post By FrankTroutAngler

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Return to Fishing

Today I returned to fishing after missing the last two months. I had surgery in late June and had a longer than expected recovery process. I went to an extremely popular limestone stream. I knew that I wasn't in shape to make a long walk in and out.

After I'd been fishing about ten minutes, I had four trout hit my spinner and every one slipped the hook. I checked my hook points, which were sharp. My next cast landed on the mark next to a large rock and a dark shadow tracked my spinner and grabbed it. I set the hook and the heavy brown bolted for the heavy current, but I was able to maneuver him to my feet.

My first trout measured 17 inches. Not bad after a long absence.

In short order I landed browns of 9 1/2, 14 1/2, 12, 11, and 13 1/2 inches before the action slowed down. I lost two trout before closing the hour with browns of 9 and 13 3/4 inches.

Unfortunately, a fisherman had jumped in front of me, par for the course on this particular stream. I got out and walked upstream, out of sight of the angler. The action was slower and I caught only four trout in the second hour; three browns ranging from 8 to 10 1/2 inches, and a small rainbow trout.

I saw another fisherman upstream so I walked a good distance upstream and got back in. I was getting very little interest on spinners, so I switched to a plug and caught three small browns before switching back to a spinner. I caught only one more trout there before I decided to walk back to my car.

I drove to another section, a few miles upstream. I saw one other fisherman and started in an unoccupied stretch. The action was very slow and I left after a little over an hour. Only three browns from 9 to 10 1/2 inches came to hand.

I tried one other section of that stream briefly which yielded only a few follows so I fished up the main tributary. Shortly after starting there, I caught a nice 14 inch wild brown. Unfortunately, that was the only trout I caught there. I felt my legs getting heavy and although the air was cool and the skies were cloudy, I decided that I shouldn't push it and called it a day. I caught 20 trout for the day. Not a lot of trout, but great to be back in action!

I saw a bald eagle, which is always great to see.

TT
bigguy54 likes this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 08-25-2017 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:57 PM

Welcome back!

Due to low water elsewhere, I've been pounding a nearby extremely popular limestoner. Don't know if it's the same one you hit, but if it was I can see where the action might be a tad on the slow side.

A 17" wild brown is a nice way to get back into the saddle again.

It won't be long now until autumn. Some leaves are already coming down. Can't wait!
Trout Traveler likes this.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 11:41 AM

Excellent Andy! I know we've been in touch a lot but I'm thrilled to see you back in action and wish you a lot more recovery in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great to hear you are back in fishing shape. Sounds like a decent outing considering conditions and popularity of the stream.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Not in fishing shape really. My legs felt weak while I was fishing and I was pretty sore the next day. I didn't fish as long as I usually do. I'll have to work up to that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page