The 'Break-In' period. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Trout 2003

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

The 'Break-In' period.

The last week plus has been a trying time for me on the water. There’s been a lot of changes in my equipment. New spinner materials,new reel……big problems haha. Add to that that my Korkers are falling apart already and it’s been a hassle in a way. It’s just a lot of change for me to tackle at one time and when you never ever bounce around equipment, even little changes can cause big problems. The reel in particular has been murder to get over. The feel is just so different and so unfamiliar that I’ve been losing a tremendous number of fish. Several times I’ve considered punting it out into the middle of a deep pool but in the end I know that it’s just a process that I have to go through and will just need to suck it up and do my best until I adjust. Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later. The new reel looks Purdy though!

20180601195456_IMG_2859by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

On the first trip out following the new reel arriving I was greeted with an August morning temp that I haven’t seen in a while.

IMG_20170806_125920by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

It’s not every day that you see 40’s during the dog days ofs ummer and actually it was a bit of a concern as I didn’t want an already cool running stream to plummet in temp so instead I chose a stream that routinely gets into the 70s but hold wild trout none the less. I figured that this would lessen the impact of the cold air temps. I was correct as when I took the stream temp I picked up an excellent 59 degrees. Much like the next few trip this was onlya short trip to start the reel break in process. I missed a ton of trout and sent many more casts into the stream side bushes but in and around that I managed to catch a few fish including this 18” wild brown.

IMG_20170804_091840612by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

I was glad when it was time to leave as the trip was more frustrating than it was fun. I lost many nice trout that a week earlier I would have caught. I can only handle so much of that nonsense;-)

The following day found me persistent in my attempt to wear in the gears on the Ci4. I chose a smaller stream this time.

IMG_20170805_112241049by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

I figured a smaller stream would allow me to cast shorter thus cast more. The most I cast the more comfortable I get. Again I lost a lot of fish and grew frustrated. Thankfully the fishing was very good so even though I lost a lot of trout I caught a lot too. There were also no lost bigtrout. It’s much easier to lose run of the mill little trout than lunkers.

20180525195859_IMG_2765by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

Again, after a short trip I was on my way home again.

Outing #3 found me on a stream with a decent chance ofc atching some larger than average trout because it’s a larger than average stream.

20180525202515_IMG_2786by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

Some nicer fish came to hand again, including this 17” brown

IMG_20170806_220017by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

And many smaller wild browns as well

20180525213304_IMG_2790by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

Devil Liliy’s spotted the hill side along the creek in areas.

20180517020926_IMG_2721by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

Outing #4 found me on a very heavy flowing, turbulent, and famous waterway. It was an easy milewalk to the stream but the wading was anything but easy.

20180529175721_IMG_2815by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

While the stream wasn’t ‘high’ it was certainly pushing ahead of steam and in most areas it was impossible to even cross without risking ones life. Powerful runs like this were normal.

20180529182709_IMG_2818by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

It was here that I finally started to turn a little bit of acorner with the new reel. I was still having trouble but the little sublties that were causing so much issue were starting to feel at least a little normal. While I still missing a lot of fish and still thought my casting was dreadful, there were signs for optimism. Some really nice trout came to hand.

IMG_20170810_124849_571by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

This Tiger was one of the nicest stocked tiger trout I’ve ever seen and it was clearly in the stream for a long time.

20180529173336_IMG_2805by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

That trip lasted only 2 hours but it was well worth the effort to wake up in the pre-dawn hours.

The last outing on the write up happened over the weekend and I finally planned a long trip to see what was up. Friday as I left work, walking across the parking lot, I was giddy with excitement about finally fishing ‘perfection’ the following AM. Air temps, stream temps, overcast skies, water levels, no timeline, steady barometer, storms kicking up to chalk the water,everything you could ever ask for. And then at 1:45 AM I woke to a clap of thunder and driving rain on the house. I opened my computer right then and there and saw the unbelievable amount of rain that was falling. My heart sank, I shut my alarm off, and went back to bed. When I woke Saturday am and checked the streams they were blown out all over. There was no way I was fishing. I just called it a day and planned for Sunday.

With waters receding I knew I’d have to fish a smaller stream to find a place that was productive. The first stream drove to was still a little too high for my tastes. The second was a little too low but I hadn’t fished it in several years and it happened to be one of my favorite streams of all time, so I decided to have a go at it anyhow. This stream is remarkably beautiful at every turn.

20180601192422_IMG_2845by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

And its trout are no slouch either.

20180601200839_IMG_2872by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

20180601191754_IMG_2839by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

Orange Jewelweed dressed the banks throughout.

IMG_20170813_193821by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

Since the water was low I fished a long stretch of stream much faster than I would normally and was off to another location that I had never fished in past. The water was flowing much stronger there.

IMG_20170813_123704348by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

And more trout came to hand.

IMG_20170813_100403667by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

In the end I broke the century mark for the first time with the new reel which is a step in the right direction. I’ve still got a ways to go but hopefully I’m happy with it by the time I put it away for the winter. I’d really like to be clean and clear of all this when next May comes around and it’s time to start fishing again.
bigguy54 and Trout Traveler like this.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 08-14-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

That tiger is really cool. I love how the wormy pattern persists the whole way from top to bottom. You have some good crepuscular ray shots too. It took me 7-10 trips to feel completely comfortable with my new reel. I'm sure your almost there with yours.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 03:45 PM

The meticulous and "sensory" approach some of you guys have to Trout Fishing simply astounds me. The approach to detail in every aspect, just incredible. I could NEVER be that calculated. LOL.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

I had to look up 'Crepuscula' haha. Big word
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:32 AM

The 49-degree morning was a chilly one for August. That was one long drive you had that morning, and apparently just one-way, too. I thought Trout Traveler was the king of travel.

Good report. I wish we had that kind of great-flowing water here in SC PA, or even NC PA.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

I was waiting for someone to comment on the 'trip' lol. 2100 miles........maybe I hit the 49 degree mark someplace around central Canada haha. I actually hit the trip every 3500 miles so I know when to change my oil but it does look funny.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:30 PM

Great trips! I enjoyed the pictures. Great stream pics and trout pics. I especially like the tiger trout picture.

I'm jealous. I hope to be back out fishing soon!

TT
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

We hope to have ya back fishing soon as well. You've been off the water tooooo long.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
I actually hit the trip every 3500 miles so I know when to change my oil but it does look funny.

You still driving a vehicle from the 70's ? Last book I checked, 7,500 was the recommended mileage on a Honda.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Ya, my Silverado is recommended 7500 miles. I tried that method and replaced a $6000 engine at 130,000 lol. Piston and cylinder wear. Never ever again. Oil changes are cheap and easy. That recommendation is for people that don't intend on driving their vehicles till they die, unless they want them to die sooner then they should. Jap vehicles don't apply lol. They just run forever. I'll never ever drive a car or mini SUV and a ridgeline is the ugliest truck in the history of man kind, cant afford a tundra, so I drive my full size chevy or ford.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page