From Browns to Brooks - My Last Two Outings - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

From Browns to Brooks - My Last Two Outings

Friday, July 28th:

My family was heading down to Maryland for a Little League baseball tournament during the last weekend of July. When I looked over my fishing log, it had been 20 (long) days since I had wet a line. Knowing that we werenít leaving until early afternoon on Friday, I was determined to get a couple of hours on the water Friday morning. There were some overnight showers that didnít impact the streams significantly, but the stream levels were better than most late-summer trips.

There was a nice fog coming off the water that certainly helped me be a bit more stealthy on the water.

2017.07.28by Brian B, on Flickr

It didnít take more than a few casts before I was tallying my first trout of the morning.

This bend in the stream is hit or miss for me. Sometimes I come up empty handedÖ

Ö and sometimes Iím rewarded with a nice brown.

Always nice to see future generations getting hooked on the spinner.

After exactly two hours of fishing, I was at a good jump out point and had to make a decision Ė press on and fish or call it a day. As I already had 34 trout punched up on my pitch counter and knew I would be fishing the following weekend, I decided to call it a day.

Sunday, August 6th:

With Little League baseball now behind us for the summer, I could finally start to focus again on trout fishing. My family was back at our camper this past weekend and we had a few friends stop by for dinner and drinks on Friday night. Being honest with myself, I knew I could rule early Saturday morning out for fishing (even though this would have been the better morning to be on the water). After looking at the USGS gauges early Sunday morning, I focused on a small brookie stream that I had fished once before.

When I arrived to the pull off spot (and was a bit more awake), I was surprised how chilly the air was. Thankfully I had forgotten to take out an old rain coat and had some warmth Ė it also kept the bugs off my arms as the air warmed up.

Itís a tight stream with tannic water, but there were ample openings for me to carefully cast my spinner.

2017.08.06by Brian B, on Flickr

The first run coughed up an average brookie.

The water was higher than the last time I had fished the stream. Couple that with the tannic water, and it definitely slowed down my wading pace.

Some of the better holes would produce 2-3 trout and then I would hit a stretch of promising water and come up empty handed over a decent bit of water. Itís funny how that works sometimes.

Not a great numbers day (hours or trout), but it was certainly an enjoyable outing for me. Next weekend my family will be in the Poconos for two straight weeks. Although my wife has lined up a bunch of friend visits (none of those husbands are serious fishermen), Iím hoping to sneak out a few times. Now I just need the weather to cooperate.

bigguy54 and Trout Traveler like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Those brookies really match the tannic water! I can't remember if you got a new camera or were using a phone for pictures now? The pics look pretty darn good.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 08:11 PM

Nice pictures and write up. Those streams were in Maryland?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 09:30 PM

Man that is some seriously tannic water. Wow. There's no place in the state with the number of tannic streams let me NE PA. Places like the aptly named Black Creek are simply incredible in their tannic appearance. It's almost like fishing it iced tea.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
Those brookies really match the tannic water! I can't remember if you got a new camera or were using a phone for pictures now? The pics look pretty darn good.
Instead of investing in a new point and shoot camera, I opted to stick with my iPhone 6 and bought a $12 waterproof case (with a wrist strap) off of Amazon. I've been impressed with the quality of the pictures so far as I feel the iPhone adjusts to low light levels better than most point and shoot cameras that I have seen. On top of that, I no longer have to carry both a phone and a camera. I also have a GoPro that I use once and awhile (mostly for underwater video and photos), but it doesn't take the best still pictures.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Traveler View Post
Nice pictures and write up. Those streams were in Maryland?
No, both were in PA (1st one was in SEPA; 2nd one was in NEPA). I've been busy with work and tried to knock out a quick post; I guess I should have clarified better.

Although Maryland does have some nice trout streams that I would love to fish some time. The problem was that our Little League tournament that we traveled down to Maryland for, was on the wrong side of the state - we were 25 minutes from Ocean City, MD.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 10:54 AM

Not surprised that the 2nd stream was in NE PA. Lots on tannic streams there.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 01:04 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
Man that is some seriously tannic water. Wow. There's no place in the state with the number of tannic streams let me NE PA. Places like the aptly named Black Creek are simply incredible in their tannic appearance. It's almost like fishing it iced tea.
I know there are some Streams like that in the Pocono's

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 01:27 PM

Yes there are quite a few tannic streams in the Poconos.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 11:16 AM

Q about "tannic" water. What produces that effect ? We fished a Somerset Co. stream in July, and the water was almost coffee-like. Haven't seen it before. There were quite a few hemlocks lining the stream, so not sure if needles has anything to do with it ?

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page