That Was a Short Storm Chasing Season!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

That Was a Short Storm Chasing Season!!

Well, for the time being the whole storm chasing theme that was kicking in this time of year is on the back burner. I have little doubt that it will return before too long, but for now it’s been more like storm dodging season. It’sbeen a crazy, but unbelievably excellent summer for water levels. We haven’thad great conditions in the east, as I’ve said over and over, but there’s been enough rain to keep stream up enough that trout aren’t in any danger. The fishing conditions haven’t been great all around but there’s been enough places on a weekly basis with great fishing. All in all it’s been anexcellent summer and an excellent trout fishing season so far. The trend certainly continued over my past 3 outings, 2 of which took place on unfamiliar waters and another on a stream I’ve been dying to fish all year but couldn’t get it low enough to hit.
Even though it had been dry out I’d been watching a small line of storms evening after evening hit a certain area of the state. Every night around 6 PM, BANG, there they would be. The first night there was a bump in the stream level and then a settle point about the same as earlier inthe day. The next day the same and a settling point a little higher. So on and so forth for about 5 days until the settling point was high enough for meto finally give this stream a first time look. Like with any first trip to a stream thatI’d been looking at for a long time I had an imagine in my head and for the first time in a long then when I pulled up to the wonderfully obvious allowable access point I was surprised to see that my mental image met reality! The creek looked to be flowing perfectly and I screeched tires in the haste to get upstream to ditch my bike at the first available spot. Access was alittle tricky after that so the first spot wasn’t for a long way. As I stashed the bike I knew I was in for along outing if the fishing was good enough to stick it out.

Well……the fishing was good! Very good. The first pool at the main access area gave up 5 trout. You can’t get a better sign than that of things to come. That should be the worst of a stretch so I figured I was in for a good time. The habitat from the get go was great.

IMG_20170723_100003054by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

IMG_20170723_084621697by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

As was the fishing

IMG_20170723_093317466by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

The stream change character over and over. It went from a mountain stream shown above,then ran through a series of dam and bridge ruins

IMG_20170723_115957361by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

And even entered into a long stretch that just oozed in aspring creek like fashion with the most amazing riparian buffer I have ever witnessed in my life.

IMG_20170723_122456223_HDRby Zak Appleby, onFlickr

The whole time the trout were coming to hand at a heavy pace. Lots of wild browns around every corner.

IMG_20170723_110310696by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

The stretch was definitely a lot longer than I’m accustomed to fishing but the action was feverish the entire time and when I finally made it to the next access point my counter showed 207 trout had been fooled. Gosh do I love those first outings when the trout get introduced to a properly presented spinner for the first time.

A few days later found me on the stream that I have been dying to fish this year. It is without question a top 3 stream that I enjoy fishing and I do everything I can to make sure I fish it at least once a year. I tend to get a little tired of streams that I see over and over but not this place for whatever reason. I’d tried to fish it 3 other times this year and each time water levels weren’t right and I didn’t want to force it cause I know how much fun the stream can be to fish when the conditions are right. Finally!

20180516002743_IMG_2659by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

Another reason I love this stream is because of the rainbows that reside there annually. True honest to goodness holdover fish that look almost wild and are robust and ferocious in their fight to escape my clutch.

20180515233458_IMG_2655by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

I progressed past 100 trout quickly and then 200 before too long. I took a few small breaks during the morning to just relax, have a snack and a drink, and rest my hip which usually starts to bother me as the fishing season wears on. It’s an issue that will only get work as time passes. It’s all the slipping and sliding on rocks. Usually I feel a lot better if I sit down for 10-15 minutes although I certainly feel a lot of anxiety to get my butt back into fishing mode because, well, I love catching trout!!

20180516230545_IMG_2671by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

I didn’t go out with any thoughts of catching 300+ on theday but when I finally decided it was time to hit the road 304 trout had been released. That one really surprised mebut I knew the stream was capable of that as 200+ is normal for a good day there. That was my second 300+ this year. It wasn’t too long ago that 300+was a goal that I was trying to achieve for years and years. It’s gratifying to know that I am still to this day improving in the sport.
Off we flash to the SW corner of this great state to visit the grandparents again (of course I need to do a little fishing too). I chose a larger stream and when I arrived it was flowing low, clear, but still acceptable. My hope was that it had attracted little to no attention recently since other streams with better conditions abound over there currently. My hope were confirmed when the browns started to roll in one after another.

20180516235629_IMG_2689by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

20180516233145_IMG_2683by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

The water was absolutely gin clear which made fighting some of the larger trout a pretty unique experience. I could watch the fish fight as if I was looking through a glass pain into the water. A wavy glass pain.

IMG_20170731_123946by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

The only time there was any color to the water was when Icame across one of the several colossal pools the stream holds. In which case the water was a deep turquoise color. Very New Zealand like in appearance.

20180517003956_IMG_2692by Zak Appleby, onFlickr

There were no giant new Zealand like trout out so I missed that but as the first raindrops fell I looked at my counter to see 204 trout for the outing.
And so ended another successful flurry of fishing fun withover 700 trout handled in the last 3 trips. That’s my second stretch like that this season. You never go out expecting that but when it happens you really just have just sit back and enjoy the ride. My 10 days over 200 trout this year is by far and away a personal record for me. I’ve never had a trout season like I’m having this year that’s for sure. Hopefully things stay consistently productive through August as well although I never plan for that to happen. Usually August in the beginning of the end but this year has been anything but normal. I’ll just keep plugging away as long as I can.
troutspinner likes this.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 08-01-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

That's an amazing stretch of trout fishing right there! I'm always curious though, what are you averaging for trout per hour on these types of outings as I don't believe you stay out all day on the water?

As always, you had some really nice pictures in your write-up. The underwater shot of the big brown is really awesome. I have tried quite a few times to get a decent shot like that, but haven't been lucky yet. Gotta keep snapping I guess.

I'm hoping you're right and these conditions continue over the next month or so as I'm finally free from Little League baseball until the fall sports start up in September. We have 2 straight weeks in the Poconos in mid-August, so I'm hoping this August isn't like typical August's when it comes to stream conditions.

Thanks again for posting.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

That blue water is really cool looking. I know of a few streams that look like that, but they are practically glowing blue with aluminum. They hold no life in them. 300 is such a big number it seems like a pinball score! I'm assuming you had your reel repaired or got a new one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb2799 View Post
That's an amazing stretch of trout fishing right there! I'm always curious though, what are you averaging for trout per hour on these types of outings as I don't believe you stay out all day on the water?

As always, you had some really nice pictures in your write-up. The underwater shot of the big brown is really awesome. I have tried quite a few times to get a decent shot like that, but haven't been lucky yet. Gotta keep snapping I guess.

I'm hoping you're right and these conditions continue over the next month or so as I'm finally free from Little League baseball until the fall sports start up in September. We have 2 straight weeks in the Poconos in mid-August, so I'm hoping this August isn't like typical August's when it comes to stream conditions.

Thanks again for posting.

The first outing I spent 9 hours on the water. The 300+ day I spent 10 hours on the water, and the final 200+ I spent another 9 hours out there. They were all definitely much longer days than I normally put in although 'normal' is starting to change and I am fishing longer then I have in the past. Trout per hour is such a deceptive number to me though. A persons spinner fishing style really makes a huge difference in how many fish you catch per hour but it doesn't really mean much more than that. Little things can influence that number a LOT.

That underwater pic.........I took 37 pics of that fish in about 30 seconds to get that one good one. There were a few other good ones but in general you have to take a ton of pics to get some good ones. An average fishing trip has me taking about 75+ pics easy and what gets posted are the small number of good ones. Lots of junk in there that just doesn't turn out right. The key if to take a lot of pics. I don't fool around much or waste my time with it though. I just blast pics everywhere and hope some of them 'stick' haha.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
I'm assuming you had your reel repaired or got a new one?

New reel should arrive tomorrow. I was still nursing the old ones flipping the bail over and stuff like you used to. I'm very apprehensive about the new reel and not excited at all really. I'm so consistent with my gear that adjusting to a new reel is a truly miserable experience for me. This Saturday I fully expect to want to punt the reel into the next county as I miss trout after trout. Hopefully I'm wrong though. I just have a lot of trouble feeling the strike on the newer Shimanos. The gearing is too efficient for me. It's almost like the gears reel in the spinner and not my hands. I'm sure I'll get used to it after a trip or two though. It was inevitable though and has to happen at some point.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:06 PM

Those are some fantastic outings! It just shows what you can do when you follow the weather, as well as having an expertise with spinners.

Nice pictures, too.

What model of new reel did you order?

Have you done any fishing with troutspinner this year?

I can be contacted at [email protected].

Last edited by FrankTroutAngler; 08-05-2017 at 05:23 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

I stopped at Cabelas last week and ran a few different shimano's. The Stradic, Ci4, and Sustain. They all pretty much felt the same so I ended up purchasing another Ci4. The 2017 model. Being honest, I doubt it will outperform the Stradic in any real noticeable way when talking about a trout stream. I couldn't afford the Sustain. The Ci4 has a beefier gear system then Stradic and it has a water proofing component that prevents any water from getting to vital area. I spent the extra cash but probably didn't need to in reality. I also like the way the Ci4 look and not a lot of people use them. That's just a silly though haha. Stradic was a nice reel and always has been. One thing is for certain though, the price points are getting up there for all these high end reels. When I bought my first Stradic back in 1998 it cost me a college life crushing $97. They're now $199. They're also A LOT nicer now though. The 2017 Stradic is far and away the nicest Stradic they've made. The thing feels like a tank. I'm not a fan of the new gearing system on any of the Shimano's but I'm going to have to get over that cause it's not going away. To me its so efficient that it kills the feel of the spinner but I'm going to force myself to adapt and get used to it cause there's no choice. No other good options out there.

Unfortunately Craig and I haven't hooked up in some time now. We've been talking about it lately though.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:10 PM

Superb outings! You're really having an amazing season. I really enjoyed the pictures too, especially the beautiful pool.

I don't take nearly as many pictures when I fish as you do. I should take more than I do.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I got my sustain for under $200 brand new from Australia. It has a 10 year Shimano-Australia warranty on some parts of the reel. I would just have to mail it back there. Took about 2 weeks to arrive. Well worth the wait to save two hundred dollars.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Ya that's a great deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page