Leftovers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By troutdoorsman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Leftovers

Leftovers are my favorite. I prefer them cold, no matter what it is. I of course would not pass up a fresh, hot meal. Same with my trout preferences. I really don't get excited about fishing for freshly stocked trout. I don't even start fishing until the end of May (mostly due to my work schedule). Stocked trout become much more appealing to me when they have been in the stream a few months and have some wits about them. I don't consider a trout to be a "holdover" until they make it through a winter. I haven't really thought about my definition of a holdover until reading another post on here last week. Reflecting back, I guess i subconsciously used making it through a winter as a definition. . I think these surviving stocked trout deserve a lot of credit for not succumbing to live bait, power bait, snagging, floods, droughts, and everything else that they endure between march and the end of july. I consider them "leftovers".

With the copious amount of precipitation we recieved for a three week period ending last week, the bigger streams are still flowing like may. The tiny brooks are nearing their normal levels again. I have one particular stream that I have learned quite well over the years. Its sort of a "secret" spot to me. A few different factors go into this half mile stream section into almost always holding a few big trout. Each year, many of my 20+ inch fish come from this stream section during july and august. I knew that I would be trying it a bit early when I fished it yesterday based on how comparatively high the water is for this time of summer but I couldn't resist.

I started at a beautiful little washout under a root system. I have a history with this spot, or a lack thereof. In 5 years of fishing here, and thousands of trout caught from this stream, I have NEVER caught a trout in this great looking spot, until today!
Trt by eric reger, on Flickr
Not a giant, but the curse has been lifted.

Moving upstream, I could see the effects of how high and turbulent the water was a week ago. Sediment was washed clean from a lot of the streambed. This happens once every year or 2 on this stream due to its steep banks and elevation profile.

As I walked up through this next waterslide (and the 2" depth of water splashed up to my chest because of its velocity) I recalled wading this stream and others before wearing Korkers. I fall much less often now, I remain at least 50% more dry, and I can move quicker.

The first decent sized trout (14.5") came to hand after a thread-the-needle cast between the boulder and a tree limb pictured below.

Despite losing water to three different pumps and 3 different mobile homes along the creek who apparently get their water from the creek, there was still plenty for me and the fish.

This little waterfall gave up the first "hog" of the day at 17.5"

I took a foray up a small tributary. It looks like a stream where you would set a minnow trap. Tiny, not super cold, more tiny gravel in the stream than large rocks...I planned to work up until I found the first "good" spot to give it an honest try. I blanked in the first 3 casts into the first "good" spot but the 4th cast caught me daydreaming as a solid brown grabbed ahold of my spinner.

Surprised and satisfied, I went back down to the bigger stream.

On the main stream, I was very surprised to see that this raccoon dropped its midnight snack.

I was not surprised however, when my spinner stopped abruptly at the tail of a deep pool. This is one pool where I catch big fish every year. Its apparently a very inviting location for big stockers on the move.

I really wanted this guy to be 20", but he wasn't. At just over 19", he would be the biggest of the day.

The very last and usually best hole in this section did not disappoint. The first fish caught there was an 18" brown that did not cooperate for the picture. I should have done a "safety" picture, but I was strategically positioning the fish with the background and the lighting, it loosed itself.

I was more cautious with the last fish of the day. I had been carrying a net (which I only do once or twice a year, usually on the river) because a friend of mine that does woodworking is starting to build nets and I figured I'd get some practice with mine so I can make recommendations as he builds his. This was the only fish I used the net on, just to use it. The stream is small enough that I felt in complete control landing all fish.
This 15" rainbow fit nicely into my net.

After working the last spot throughly from tail to headwaters, I saw the writing on the wall...literally. My secret stretch of water is no longer secret...haha

I'm not sure if somebody wrote this just for fun, or actually knew they were in a big trout haven. I didn't get as many hogs as a wanted to, but as I stated, the conditions for this water will improve in the coming weeks and I will be back!
Trout Traveler likes this.

Last edited by troutdoorsman; 07-23-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Leftovers, I like that. If you don't mind I will steal that from you and use it going forward when I remember lol. I agree completely with you though. I could make a living on catching stocked trout once they've been in the stream for a little while. I absolutely love their predictability and think that act more like a trout should in some cases. Holdover.....I mean leftover trout fishing is a blast.

I see that big brown has those leopard like spots most common in that region.

I'm guessing this is the stream that you caught that absolutely gargantuan rainbow in last year or the year before? Seems like you fish this place every year under much lower water conditions and do a good bit better. I'd go back in a few weeks if water falls..........since it's such a short stretch of stream fishing it twice in a year, who cares. It's not like your going there in hopes of catching 100+ fish.

Lastly, I get anxiety a lot just reading that sign graffiti. But just like any good fishing spot in PA. Even then you think you have place to yourself, in reality, there almost always other people fishing it. Lots of guys poking around this great state.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 07-20-2017 at 11:41 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 01:53 PM

Some beautiful trout and beautiful pictures.

If you fish streams that are stocked but get warm, does that mean you will be catching warmed up leftovers ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 02:32 PM

Ahhhh, good one Andy! Cheesy as possible. I like it!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

In the worst of summers, this stream only gets up to 70 degrees even in its lower reaches, so more like room temperature
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 03:23 PM

I didn't figure that stream got warm, but I couldn't resist the attempt at humor.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 07-22-2017 at 04:53 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 04:16 PM

I really like the photo of the waterfall. Great flow, too.

I gotta admit, "leftovers" is a cute name for stocked trout that have survived until now. For me though I think I'll just keep calling them "stocked trout," "stockies," or "stockers."

I've seen water pumps in some of the steams I fish. I think in most cases people are getting water for their garden or lawn.

One stream that I fish has sections of solid bedrock like this stream you fished. It's amazing, but there can be just a little pocket in the rock and there will be a little native brookie there. Makes you wonder how they make a living there.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 03:23 PM

Very nice, great pictures and accompanying story!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :-)

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Beautiful trout and really nice stream!

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page