Maryland Waters: Part 3 (last one) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Maryland Waters: Part 3 (last one)

So after toting only the fly rod on Sunday with my buddy, I was kind of itching to toss a few spinners in some of the better water we found. So Monday I packed everything up, and took just the spinning rod and camera and headed back to the Gunpowder. Almost immediately I picked up a little brown:

Gunpowder Brown 10 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Lost a few more, then connected again:

Gunpowder Brown 9 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

I got up to some of the deeper and faster water that looked so promising, but the bites were few and far in between, but I did manage a few:

Gunpowder Brown 8 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Gunpowder Brown 7 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Noticed the sun making an appearance:

Gunpowder Morning by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Then disaster...I picked up a beautiful, sparsely spotted brown and snapped his picture:

Gunpowder Brown 6 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

....and noticed the fog in the camera. It seems at some point the camera strap got wet and inside the case with the camera, the lens began fogging. Not a big deal really, but with the humidity and my sweaty body and the cold water, it stayed like that for the hour or so.

I got towards the upper end of what we had though would be the more productive waters and I had hopes of hitting 20-30 for the morning, when suddenly the fish went mad. They attacked the spinner 2-3 at a time and were slamming it. I was landing and missing trout on every cast (I was fishing barbless). Suddenly 50 seemed like a possibility and the camera cleared up!

Gunpowder Brown 5 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Gunpowder Brown 2 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

But I didn't risk getting it out much...and then I hit a wall...literally, the dam wall....

Pretty Boy Dam by Jason Weller, on Flickr

I decided to actually fish my way back to the car and experiment with different spinner looks I've been toying around with since the trout had been pretty aggressive. I wanted to see if they would still be up for chasing spinners and I thought maybe a different look might trigger some strikes...it did....

This is a special spinner for me. It's made with a blue and pink blade, the colors for infant loss. Several years ago my niece was born sleeping and it was very difficult time for my brother and his wife and the entire family. My brother named it Alexa's Gift in her memory. It does very well on stocked rainbows and it was special to land a few wild trout on it on Monday, especially since the first one it landed was #40 for the day and this trip was to celebrate turning 40 in a few days:

Gunpowder Brown 3 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Gunpowder Brown 4 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

I then switched to a fire tiger blade and caught 2 more ending the morning with 45, which I think is good since the most anyone else told me they got was 6 (fly fishermen though):

Gunpowder Brown 1 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

I should probably do a separate post later with just some of the pictures of my buddy fishing since the fog made for some great shots...well, at least I think they look nice:

Tying Up! by Jason Weller, on Flickr

All in all it was a great trip even if the water was really low and we had to alter our plans slightly. The only real negative was the amount of "rock snot" aka Didymosphenia geminata, that was in the Gunpowder...the flies and spinners had to be cleaned off frequently if not every cast!

We did run into lots of people on the water, fisherman, hikers, swimmers, and kayaks...but everyone was nice and courteous and i was only given bogus information once and only had one nasty encounter while carrying the spinning rod on the Gunpowder...you'd think I was using dynamite!

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed the summary and the pictures!
SHEDMAN25 and Trout Traveler like this.

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 04:49 PM

Thanks for your posts. I'm glad you had some great fishing. I assume most of the other anglers you encountered were fly fishers? Glad they weren't like snob who gave you crap for spin fishing.

I really enjoyed your pictures. The pictures in the fog are particularly good.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

I didn't see another spinner fisherman the entire trip. To be fair, Big Hunting Creek is Fly Fishing only and so are parts of the Savage that I was on...and I really only had the spinning rod yesterday on the Gunpowder and everyone was very nice, even asking what I was using and having a look at my spinners. Only one guy yesterday was a jerk, I said hi, nice day, any luck, etc...and he said something inaudible nodded his head and kept walking (maybe that's his personality though).

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 05:13 PM

I was under the impression you heard him say something nasty.

I haven't had a fly fisherman make a cutting remark to me about spin fishing for several years. Hopefully that will continue.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 06:40 PM

Very cool and as always, some exceptional photos there. I enjoyed reading all of that. Kinda stinks the water was apparently so low. It's been a weird year for that. You're either drowning in water or don't have enough of it. Sounds like the weather just didn't cooperate all that well but also that you made a heck of a run at it. The Gunpowder has always been a place that I've wanted to fish just to say I did but much like the Ken Lockwood Gorge on the South Branch Raritan River in New Jersey it's probably just constantly crowded with other fisherman 365. Seems like a neat place though and you did dang well! thanks for taking the time to post all that up. Fun to read.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Nice catches and captures. Great way to spend a week.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:13 AM

A pard and I were exiting the Yough River 2 years ago. We were armed with 9' St. Croix Wild Rivers, so our appearance must have just screamed, BAIT-CHUCKERS ! Haha. Well, there was a Fly-Fisherman suiting up at the back of an SUV right next to ours. I tried to make small talk right off, you know, "Nice morning", "Have you been fishing" etc.... The man would NOT speak to us. I was thinking deaf mute for a spell, but he heard his text tone go off on his cell, so that was out. LOL. He was a slight, and diminutive statured little fella. Looked to be about 60'ish. The stickers on his Range Rover lead me to believe he was a yuppie that grew up pooping silver spoons, and we weren't worthy of his conversation. My pard and I just chuckled and murmured to each other some un-pleasantries, and chalked it up as he was just simply an aloof, miserable, "Son Of A Fly-Fisher". LOL

By the way, if you ever make your way to Western, Md. again, try the N. Branch Potomac around Barnum, WV. You can fish it with either WV or MD license.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 01:56 PM

Some people just have to be jerks, unfortunately.

Thankfully, most fishermen aren't.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 05:17 PM

I enjoyed reading the three parts. Good story.

The photo I like the best is your very first one in Part 1, of Big Hunting Creek with all of the rocks and your signature misty water. It is difficult to get perspective when looking at the photo but it is nice whether the rocks are just big or really big.

I was glad to see that fishing spinners on your final day "salvaged" the trip with 45 trout.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 02:30 PM

Excellent pictures and post, thanks for sharing!!! :-)

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page