Maryland Waters: Part 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By grousedog20

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Maryland Waters: Part 2

So after finding an unoccupied campsite Friday afternoon (the only one that didn't a chair or tent or cooler) along the Savage River, I did the self registration thing and waited out another storm before setting up camp. It wasn't a great camp site, lots of leaf litter, no fire ring, etc...but as I recuperated in the tent reading a book, a man pulled up and proceeded to tell me he had self registered for all the campsites along that stretch earlier in the morning for his entire family and their campers, he just didn't put anything out at the site (he admitted this was a mistake). He was nice, I was nice about everything explaining both our sides and long story short we agreed that I would stay there, but his family was welcome to pull their campers up in the open areas as well. I then put the 3 weight together and headed across the road to try some fly fishing. I got a look at a beetle and missed one on a hopper before the third storm...a nasty one, blew up. As I hid in the tent, the rain started blowing under the rain flap and when it was over the campsite was sitting in a swamp. I called my buddy who was running late and wouldn't arrive until 10:30pm that night and we quickly decided that maybe, roughing it this much (no running water, just a nasty outhouse for a bathroom), wasn't how we wanted to celebrate turning 40. I called my mother-in-law quick and she said we were welcome to stay at her place in Towson, so we decided to fish the Gunpowder instead. I went over and told the guy that I appreciated the way we handled the campsite situation earlier but there was a change in plans. His brother-in-law that was there said he actually preferred fishing the Gunpowder anyway, so I donated them my firewood and the spinners I made with a single hook, made 2 new friends and headed for the Gunpowder.

We got up early, not too early since we didn't get into town until 11ishpm, and hit the Gunpowder. We were all ready to go when a bicyclist wiped out on the bridge where we parked. I loaned my phone to another rider to call 911 and stayed with them until the ambulance arrived. Luckily he was wearing a helmet, or that would have been A LOT worse, I'm guessing he earned himself lots of X-rays, MRI's and CATSCANS and probably a night in the hospital, but he was going to be OK.

When we finally got on the water it too was pretty low. I carried in both the fly rod and spinning rod, and I quickly hooked up with a feisty brown trout. We fished for a bit with no more luck, then we spotted a few feeding fish an my buddy soon fooled one on an ant followed by one on an ant for me:

Falls Road 2 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

First Gunpowder Trout For Smitty by Jason Weller, on Flickr

We struggled finding good water, hopping from access point to access point. We tricked a few on terrestrials, but mostly we looked for better water. After a long day, we ended with roughly 10 or so trout between us and we weren't terribly excited for day 2, but we made a plan while eating at the bar and by 5:45 Sunday morning we were back at the bridge working our way upstream where we finally found better water:

Falls Road by Jason Weller, on Flickr

My buddy was quickly rewarded with a giant wild rainbow:

Bait...?? by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Giant Gunpowder Bow by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Gunpowder Boulder by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Off and on over the next few hours we struggled to catch fish, we struggled to hook fish, we struggled to land the ones we hooked, we fished long stretches with no action, we hit a few pockets where the fish were fighting over the flies, but mostly we caught a few here and there and had a great time before he had to leave around 2.:

Gunpowder Brown 12 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Gunpowder Brown 11 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Gunpowder Bow 1 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

My biggest problem was deciding between the camera and the rod...the light and fog were awesome and I had a willing, usually, subject!

Gunpowder Mist 7 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Gunpowder Mist 6 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

or do you like this one better? I can't decide...

Gunpowder Mist 5 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Gunpowder Mist 4 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Gunpowder Mist 2 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Gunpowder Mist 1 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Gunpowder Mist 3 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

I still had Monday to fish, so I went back to the Gunpowder for Part 3....when disaster strikes and threatens to destroy everything.....TO BE CONTINUED!!!
bigguy54 likes this.

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 01:46 PM

Dang! Ok, I'll with!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 04:41 PM

Great pictures! I really like the picture of the beautiful wild rainbow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Banned

awesome pics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page