What would you do? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

What would you do?

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 5.47.46 PM by eric reger

Maybe we can have a technical casting/fishing strategy discussion. I was on quite a streak upon reaching this hole. I knew there would be a willing fish or two in here if I could get a spinner through there. I'm curious what others would do if you were fishing with spinners, or spoons, or plugs... There is absolutely no cast from below, the tree has grown into the water.

In my younger days, I would have cut my spinner off and tied on a small jig and undoubtedly pulled out whatever fish were in there. This would also be a routine spot to drop a fly into. Maybe I'm getting lazy, but now I just reconcile with the fact that the more time I waste here, the less time I'll have to fish more inviting spots upstream.

I ended up sending a spinner over the top of the stick that starts at the waterfall log and runs directly down the middle of the hole. I tucked it back in the corner as far as I could and got about 24" of retrieve which I did very slowly to increase my visibility to trout. This was enough distance to raise a brown from the depths and have it strike as my spinner was being lifted out. No hook up. Two more casts and no action.

The long parallel log above the waterfall made up for my frustrations though. Two trout succumbed to my spinner running down the length of the log.

So, what would you do at the waterfall hole???
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 08:55 PM

I'd definitely fish it. I wouldn't try a bunch of different lures in the same spot. Usually trying more than one lure in the same spot doesn't produce for me, but there are exceptions. That generally works better on larger streams.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 09:49 PM

It's a lite tough to see in the pic but if there is an opening where a branch is about 8" off the water I might well be able to get something back in there but in reality there probably isn't so there no miracle casting happening. In a case that this, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm probably just moving past it. My thoughts are that you're not gaining much by fishing it. If you hook a big trout you're almost certainly losing it. It's probably going to take you a abnormal amount of time to get a decent cast in there and you'll probably miss the fish like you did cause the retrieve angle is poor. In the time it takes to fish the spot and mostly likely catch nothing I'd just skip it and catch two trout upstream in that same timeframe. So I'll take the defeatest attitude and just blow it off. Some battles are best left unfought.

Cool post though
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 09:53 PM

Sorry, I reread it and you were just referring to the small opening. I'd still try it, but only one cast.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'd get hung up, lose a spinner, and move on.
bigguy54 and Uncle Nicky like this.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 07:35 AM

At least you're honest Big Don lol.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 AM

It looks like a great spot to try a #18 Rapala!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

How about clearing the spot out for next time??? When I started spinner fishing and I fished each stream 2-3x per year I would do things like that. Now that I only fish streams 1x per year, I rely on mother nature to do that work for me.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:57 AM

I was just coming on to say that. I routinely clear spots enough for a skilled angler to fish. I don't completely clear then so that anyone can fish them easily though. If it's movable.....I move it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 01:04 PM

I would just skip over it and keep on going. It is excellent trout cover and habitat, and would never think of changing it or destroying it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page