When a Dud Leads to a New Discovery - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By bjb2799
  • 1 Post By FrankTroutAngler

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

When a Dud Leads to a New Discovery

At the last minute on Friday evening, our entire Sunday freed up. We already had a Saturday afternoon commitment, but once that was over, the family now planned to high tail it up to our camper. I didnít have much time to prepare for a weekend outing and I didnít want to spend more than a few hours on the water Sunday morning, so my options were very limited. The stream levels near our camper havenít been awful, but they havenít exactly been great. I quickly settled on a stream that was only a 15 minute drive from our camper. I wanted to fish a section that I had fished about 2 years ago and then move on to another section of the same stream ran through a ďNatural Land TrutsĒ according to Google Maps.

I expected the water levels to be low and clear, but didnít expect them to be that low based on the rains that had fallen a couple of days before. With no better options in the immediate area, I decided to stick it out and fish the first section.

Untitled by Brian B, on Flickr

Things started really slow and it took almost 15 minutes before the first trout would come to hand.

The better looking spots would produce action, but I had more than a few trout race out to chase my spinner only to give it a half-hearted smack and then turn right around and take cover.

The pace seemed to be getting slower and slower so I started to think about my exit strategy relatively early in the outing.

One of the reasons I stuck it out so long on this first section was to fish the below pool. When I fished this pool 2 years ago, I had a huge trout swipe at my spinner a few times on my retrieve only to miss my spinner and retreat back into the depths of the dark pool. Today would be no different Ė same thing happened again. After coming up empty handed in this prime spot (again), I was really ready to move on to the next section. With two so-so outings on this stretch, Iím not sure Iíll return.

When I drove along the road bordering the ďNatural Land TrustĒ in which the second section of the stream ran through, I found 2 or 3 clear pull offs that had Posted signs all around them. I was baffled as the Posted signs seemed to only be near the pull offs. As I couldnít find any reliable info on the net for the ďNatural Land TrustĒ, it left me scattering for a last ditch effort to salvage the day.

I quickly remembered about another stream that I had driven by many times and had always thought to myself, ďthatís probably worth a tryĒ. Plus, this stream was only 5 minutes from our campground. No better time to give it a try.

The stream was low and clear, just like most of the other streams in the area, but fished really decent for me.

The below pool surrendered 3 wild browns on consecutive casts.

Since the stream flows were far from optimal and the trout were coming to hand at a good clip, I decided to quit after 30 minutes of fishing and save the upstream sections for another day in the near future when flows are better Ė probably a bit of wishful thinking there.

Although I didnít fish as long as I had originally planned, it still felt like a productive morning as I found a new stream to explore another day. And since I quit sooner than anticipated, I showed up to our camper with a dozen donuts and made my kidsí morning. So overall, it was a win-win morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 10:16 AM

Some beautiful pools on those streams! Thanks for posting.

TT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 02:41 PM

The Newt Pic is straight up awesome. I like the perspective!

Smart move on backing off the low stream that you liked. You'll be rewarded for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:04 PM

If there are lots of small pools even a low flow can produce quite a few trout.

I think both of those streams have some pretty pools.

Nice outing.
bigguy54 likes this.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:23 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb2799 View Post
One of the reasons I stuck it out so long on this first section was to fish the below pool. When I fished this pool 2 years ago, I had a huge trout swipe at my spinner a few times on my retrieve only to miss my spinner and retreat back into the depths of the dark pool. Today would be no different Ė same thing happened again. After coming up empty handed in this prime spot (again), I was really ready to move on to the next section. With two so-so outings on this stretch, Iím not sure Iíll return.
Nice looking little stream.

What I call the pool phenomena is something I've often wondered about and you pretty much described it above. It basically boils down to this: when I fish pools, I often tend to raise fish, but rarely catch them. Why is this? With the exception of dry flies, which large trout rarely rise to on freestoners for me, anything else I fish in a pool will often draw a fish out, but I won't get a solid strike. The fish either gets wary and returns to it's lair, or it just sort of nips at the spinner or wooly bugger, or it just follows along, maybe a foot behind (I call those fish runners). The only time I seem to get a break is if there is some turbulence in the flow, and my theory is that in more broken water, the fish have less time to analyze an offering and it is pure instinctive reaction strike to something they think is food. But long, flat pools are my bane (although they often produce well at night).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Nice pics!!

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page