Muggy and Buggy Trout Fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bjb2799

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Muggy and Buggy Trout Fishing

Note: With the PhotoBucket ‘Pay to Play’ issue impacting forum posts, I took Grousedog20’s suggestion and tried Flickr to upload the photos below. As this was my first time using Flickr, I was really impressed with the ease of use and quality of the website. I think Flickr may be the way to go for everyone looking for a new, free photo hosting site. Also, this was the first time that all pictures came from my iPhone 6 with a waterproof casing, which again, I was pretty impressed with. Now onto the post…

My family had a rare extended period off from tournament little league baseball over the holiday weekend and was able to head up to our camper in NEPA. We had a pretty packed schedule with family visits, so Saturday was the only day for me to get out for a few hours. As the weather forecast for late Friday night / early Saturday morning didn’t include any substantial rainfall, on Friday morning I picked out a target stream that I had only fished once before. I intended to fish two separate sections of this stream, which I knew would take me about 3.5 to 4 hours to fish.

I arrived to the first section of stream to water that was low and clear – just as expected. The unexpected part was how muggy it was outside. It was so muggy that it didn’t take long before my hat and tee shirt were soaked in sweat.

2017.07.01by Brian B, on Flickr

The action was consistent over the course of the morning, which made the trip quite enjoyable. Every good looking spot produced.

After an hour and twenty minutes of fishing the first section, I bumped into someone’s backyard and although there were no visible Posted signs, I decided to move on to the second stream section further upstream.

The upstream section required more of a rugged hike to the stream, but I was rewarded with better fishing action. The only downside of the rugged landscape was all of the bugs that seemed invincible to my bug repellent. I probably lost close to 20 trout by stopping the reel mid-fight to shoo a bug out of my eye, nose, or ear. It’s been a long time since I encountered bug action like this.

Almost all of the trout caught during the morning were wild browns, but I did manage to catch three sub-legal brookies.

Given the so-so water conditions, I was more than happy with the morning’s results and hope to fish this stream again next year under better water conditions.

This little guy greeted me on my hike out.
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Nice outing!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 07:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

Looks like a great stream to fish...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 08:01 AM

Great post, thanks for sharing!!!

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 08:27 AM

Excellent. That place could look a heck of a lot worse. Doesn't look that ridiculously low. Not surprised to hear about the bugs. Wood nats generally don't give a crap about bug spray in my experience. I've gotten so used to them that I hardly even notice. They just dance around my head like Indian at a war party. Good times lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page