Spoons? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Spoons?

This is the best forum on spin fishing for trout I have ever found. I've been lurking for months but just had to join.

I do have one question, though (and it's not whether FrankTroutAngler's numbers are real - I'm a believer!).

What I want to know is why doesn't anyone use spoons? I've caught trout on spinners and plugs, but I've probably caught almost as many on spoons, which are even less expensive than spinners to make for yourself. It seems like no one here uses them, though. Why not?

Each of you must have a reason. Care to share?

Last edited by Stewart; 07-01-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 12:44 PM

I sometimes use spoons but generally only when spinners and plugs aren't working.

There are people who really like the Niti spoons and when I use spoons I generally use Nitis.

The thing I don't like about Nitis is how light they are. They're no good in streams with elevated water levels or heavy current. I never use split shot with any kind of artificial lure.

Other types of spoons like Dardeveles, Little Cleos, and Kastmasters are very heavy and are better for lakes and big rivers. Most of the trout fishing done by people in this forum is on small to medium sized streams.

I think spinners work better than spoons most of the time. I think strike detection is easier with spinners because of the irregular action spoons have. I've seen trout swim all the way around Niti spoons without hitting on several occasions. That doesn't happen with spinners.

That's my reasoning anyway. I may fish a big river or two for trout late this summer or fall and might give spoons a try then.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 11:03 PM

I do carry a niti-1 with me and use it every so often when the mood strikes. They are hard to fish on small streams and the irregular action causes me to get snagged, thus ruining the hole im fishing. I believe that trout usually hit spinners out of aggression and not so much on the side of hunger. Imo, niti's look more like an injured minnow or creek chub. I have found spinners to be a more consistent way to keep catching fish after fish and cover more water....but there has been a few times where the niti's have been on fire in the bigger water. Just my 2 cents on why I prefer a spinner. What's the price of a niti-1 these days anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

No idea on the price of a Niti-1. I have never used them. What I have used is a lot closer to a Dardevle shape - and the Dardevles come in a 1/8 oz size, which is the same weight as the white bead gold spinners. I replace the treble hook with a single barbless hook and almost never get snagged.

I was just curious why people didn't use them, because it seemed to me that they give pretty much the same flash as a spinner but don't cause hardly any line twist.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
No idea on the price of a Niti-1. I have never used them. What I have used is a lot closer to a Dardevle shape - and the Dardevles come in a 1/8 oz size, which is the same weight as the white bead gold spinners. I replace the treble hook with a single barbless hook and almost never get snagged.

I was just curious why people didn't use them, because it seemed to me that they give pretty much the same flash as a spinner but don't cause hardly any line twist.
I don't see a website, but here is the contact information to get a price on Nitis.

Pcola's Lures
516 Fifth Street
St. Michael, PA, 15955
814-495-5007

Spoons have an irregular action that makes strike detection difficult. Spoons tend to work better when they flutter when sinking vs. a straight retrieve. The retrieve with spinners is more consistent than with spoons.

There is another thread that addresses single barbless hooks. I don't use single barbless in PA because it is easier for trout to swallow a single vs. a double or treble hook.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page