2 out lightning - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By troutdoorsman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

2 out lightning

The last two days have been absolutely great for trouting. The rain we got over a 36 hour period came steadily and absolutely soaked the ground. The spring seeps are still all discharging at what seems like max capacity. Today, I had my best day ever on a tiny mountain brook which was flowing so full that I often walked on the bank. Most times, it could be fished with knee boots.

I am just very pleased to see this much water in the last week of june!

The "fly fishing bugs" were buzzing around over the water and getting picked off by birds waiting in the trees.

And to get to the fishing...This segment of stream that I fished today is only a 3 hour excursion. If I continue past the normal stopping point, it turns into a 6 hour venture as the next exit point is much further away. Today started with the first three casts connecting.

The first two hours were just about on par with how I have done there the last few years.

Almost all of the fish were wild, as this stream is not stocked. Most fish were 6-9", with the wild browns being near the top of that range and the native brook trout being near the bottom.

The stream channel split quite often. The branch shown below ran about 200 yards and yielded 8 native brook trout. I went back and fished the other branch parallel to it(which was larger) and didn't catch any.

This stream has a lot of ironwood trees along its banks. I don't see them often so I was very tuned in to how many were along this stream.

For the precious 4 years, I have seen this real estate sign in the exact same location, about a quarter of a mile up from where it was today.

Nearing my stopping point, my numbers were similar to what they usually would be. I was very content with that. But, this is where my baseball reference comes in to play... With 50 yards of stream left, I really just wanted to catch 2 more trout to break my previous best.

The 2nd to last fish holding spot was my favorite on the stream. A 4-5 foot deep, narrow chute with rhododendron growing over the side.

The first three fish from there, on consecutive casts were a 9.5" native brook trout, an 11" native, and a 17" rainbow. I hadn't caught any stockers for a while so that big beef stick took me by surprise.

I caught 11 more trout from that one spot without moving. I just kept slowly increasing my casting distance until I had worked through the entire length of that hole.

This left me with one more "hole" left to fish. The riffles just before that spot gave up a little wild brown and I thought I'd try my hand at a bubble shot.

And lastly, my ending point. I never ended up photographing this last spot because it got very fast and furious from there on out. You can see the top of this hole in the back of the next picture. The deeper water lies to the right of the picture.
This 14" brook trout was the 2nd largest of the day.

From this one last spot, I caught 22 trout without moving. I bet I caught at least 10 or 12 in a row at one point. Most of these fish were stocked. I think 5 of them from this last spot were wild fish. In the last 50 yards, I caught 37 trout. I have an idea where these fish may have come from. This stream is not stocked, and these fish were above any points where they could reasonably be stocked from a private party. I am going to investigate my hypothesis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:25 AM

Great outing and pictures.

Normally a concentration of trout in one place like that when water levels are good is a sign of a recent stocking.

Unfortunately the PAF&BC seems to have no appetite for prosecuting people who illegally stock streams.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 06-28-2017 at 01:32 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:13 PM

Waders?!?!? That's not like you at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:38 PM
The Man

Nice
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a huge open cut on my leg or I would be swimming as usual.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:51 AM

Haha understood! Hope that heals up fast.

Nice trip though. Glad to see water levels so good for you guys over there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great pictures!

Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page