Northwoods Adventure - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By FrankTroutAngler

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Northwoods Adventure

Northwoods Adventure

On Friday morning, June 9th, 2017, I got up at 3:00 a.m. so that Iíd have time to drive to a stream in the Sproul State Forest and get there at dawn. A full moon lit up the front porch when I peered outside to see if my newspaper had been delivered yet. I wanted to see if the Penguins had won game #5 of the Stanley Cup Finals the night before since there was no way I was staying up late on a fishing night. I have my priorities. It was a little too early for the newspaper to be there, but I checked on my Smartphone and saw that they had won 6-0.

I pulled out at 3:35 a.m. and headed north to a place I hadnít fished in many years. In fact, I had little memory of the stream and had only ever fished just the lower end of the section I chose. This was my fourth trip northward from Blair County this year. Previous visits had me believing that the small streams took a major hit from last yearís drought while the larger streams seemed to still hold a good population of wild trout.

I arrived at 5:30 a.m., and after answering an urgent call to nature, began fishing at 5:55 a.m. The stream was about twice the size of how I remembered it, which was a good thing.

The air temperature was a crisp 47-degrees and the water checked in at 50-degrees. No complaints there.

Like many of my outings this year, the action began slowly and it took fourteen minutes before I was able to corral my first trout of the day.

There were often wide shallow sections of stream, a common theme to the larger creeks in the northcentral region of Pennsylvania. Today they were mostly trout-free, but Iíve had some days in the past were there seems to be a little wild trout in nearly every depression in such stretches.

The fishing was certainly a lot different than fishing on a limestone stream, such as the one below, where there seems to be trout nearly everywhere.

This pool, though nice, yielded no trout.

But by moving quickly upstream, especially through the long stretches of riffles that probably didnít have one holding spot during last yearís drought, I was able to catch enough trout to keep myself entertained, though there were times when Iíd go fifteen to twenty-five minutes without landing a single trout.

There were also some nearly magical times where Iíd catch a pile of trout in a matter of minutes. Usually this happened when I was at or near a good pool, likely a place where the trout had refuge last summer and autumn.

The creek braided often, which I hate because I like to cover all of the water, so this means often walking back downstream through the woods to pick up the other channel, which kind of breaks up my rhythm.

But those braided sections often had the best habitatÖ

Öand the most trout.

After three hours of fishing the first column of my little notepad was filled with 35 trout, a mixture of native brookies and wild browns.

A barred owl was out hunting during the day, something they do when they have some owlets to feed.

Though the area is infected with hemlock woolly adelgids, as evidenced by the little hemlock needles floating in the stream and along the banks, it was nice to see some healthy growth on some of the hemlock trees.

Although the trout action was slow at times, I hung in there because I had no other options planned and I kind of just liked being there regardless.

Often cool air wafted up from the robust flow to cool things down a bit since the air temperature gradually rose into the eighties.

I guess the highlight of the day was catching this 14.5Ē wild brown.

It was a very attractive fish.

I ended up covering 5.10 miles, including hikes back to pick up braided channels, per my GPS unit. I caught 104 trout in 8.00 hours including two small brookies in a feeder run where I fished for a half hour. It took 64 minutes to walk 3.76 miles back to my SUV in the heat and bright sunshine.

Some fleabane grew beside where I had parked my vehicle.

Fleabane, which comes in a few varieties, is a rather common wildflower. Canada anemone, on the other hand, is not common, at least not where I travel. Iíve only ever found one patch of it, and that was along the Little Juniata River.

Overall it was another good day despite the slow times and I was glad to see a decent population of wild trout had survived last yearís drought. Iím sure there will be more north-bound trips for me this year as long as water flows remain adequate. Letís keep that rain coming!

- Frank Nale -
bigguy54 likes this.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 PM

Another superb outing! I enjoyed reading it. Great pictures as always. The stream pictures, wild flowers, owl, and the trout; all excellent.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:18 PM

Good stuff Frank. I'm glad that we're starting to see some better north woods reports out of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

I enjoyed the story and pictures.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 06:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

How close were you to the owl? Looks like you were right on top of it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
How close were you to the owl? Looks like you were right on top of it.
I got within about ten feet of the barred owl. I have other photos of it where it fills a good 1/3 of the frame. Unfortunately, my camera focused on the background rather than on the owl so those photos are no good.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 04:26 PM
Sage

Good read, good photos..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great pictures

Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page