Big water already!? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By troutdoorsman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Big water already!?

Just last week I had been able to fish any stream any day I had wanted to. Things dried up rapidly as we went a week without any rain at all which left me with only a choice or two on where to fish. So, I've been hitting the big water lately. We did finally receive inch of rain last night. Driving to my target stream this morning I noticed that the rain had little to no effect on water levels...except the stream I wanted to fish, which was chocolate milk. I had two guests in tow today ( my brother and a friend). We went to the mouth of that dirty stream and started picking off spots on the only other place with enough water.

We started immediately picking fish up right on the border between the clear and muddy water.

I am constantly changing set ups for river fishing. For the last three years I have used 8lb line on a 6'6" medium action bass rod. I was fed up over losing a few biiiiiig fish because of how long it took to land them using 4 and 6lb line fighing the rapids and giant boulders. This year, I went the whole way back to 4lb line on that same rod to increase my casting distance. I can reach the whole way across practically any point on the river now using my heavy spinners and light line. I guess it will take me losing a few more big fish to switch back to heavier line.

It didn't take long today for me to almost regret my 4lb line decision...

I hooked into a heavy fish in some very swift water. It immediately ran downstream through some rapids and over a small waterfall.

It was what I expected. I knew it wasn't a trout by the way it fought. At just over 13", it had enough shoulders to test out my new line.

We worked upriver, skipping some spots with impractically fast flows and concentrated on my traditionally most productive spots.

At each new spot, we caught a few right off the bat. Then after the flurry activity slowed, I picked a few more up by working the same water but deeper and from slightly different casting angles. I think this is important and it always pays off for me when fishing water than can be over 10' deep with white water and swirling currents.

I let my brother and my friend fish up through everything first and then I came through last. My 2nd GRT came from a very deep run that had been cast into at least 20 times. I let my spinner sink 10' or more before reeling and got a hit after bringing it through the depths for a few turns.

My brother landed the largest trout of the day soon after I released my GRT. His rainbow was 16.5".

Over the millennia, swirling water has created some neat effects.

I have never noticed this little cave right along the bank and when I peeked in today, I was surprised not to find any snakes.

Walking up the bank back to our bikes we had to crawl and climb through rhododendron.

My brother arrived at my house today without a bike, which was to be a crucial part of today's fishing plan... We matched some deep sockets to the nut on the back tire for make-shift pegs so that my brother and friend could ride together. It looked sort of funny as 3 guys in their 30s were covering mile after mile on a total of 2 bikes like a couple of kids headed to play a pickup game of baseball.

Before leaving for home, I checked on one of the biggest ash trees I've ever seen. It is still alive and healthy. Based on its location, I assume that it receives the best treatment available for ash trees.
pahoytman and bigguy54 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

Nice fish. That is one cool looking golden.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:01 AM

Yes VERY cool looking golden. Looks like it's been there for a long time. Unique. The bike ride was great too
Entertaining post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:08 AM

They have a great new product out for Ash Trees called 'Tree Age'. At least new in the last few years. Treats the tree for up to 3 years on one application but it's recommended every 2 years for the first couple applications. Since the Ash Borers are just starting to populate my county or Northampton (95% or our ash tree are still thriving) I'm gonna wait until next March and treat the 2 large ashes in my yard. It's like $8 per inch but it's worth it to me to be able to see a healthy ash long term. Within 4-5 years almost all other ash trees in my area will be dead.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:41 AM

That 16.5" rainbow is very pretty.

The fifth photo down of the river with the big boulders is nice. Has a mood to it.

I also like the shot of the rhododendron with the nice tree.

Fishing there looks to be a little different than fishing for native brookies up in the mountains.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:01 AM

The Mighty Yough.

Good thought on the sockets for the bike pegs.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:03 AM

......Oh, and.... I find that a 9'6" St. Croix Wild River, controls that river and all of it's inhabitants quite nicely. 6 lb. Stren Magnathin.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice pictures!

Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page