A Humbling Outing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

A Humbling Outing

I had a rare Saturday morning off from Little League baseball (the 6/7 year old team that I coach is playing for the championship tomorrow morning) and decided to make the most of it. I didn’t put a lot of research into today’s trip, but browsed over the USGS map and knew which general area I would focus on. Since my trips are limited each year, I decided to fish a stream that I really enjoy fishing. It’s a stream that fishes well throughout, but is pretty brutal on the body and can be tricky to navigate in its bottom half – one of the reasons that pressure is rather low given the location.

The action was pretty good from the get go, but with the water being up and flowing harder than usual, I had to skip over quite a few productive spots that I couldn’t seem to get into safely. Five years ago it would have been no problem, but I’ve come to know my limits as I’m getting older. Still the action in the spots I could get into was very good.

Big trout of the day at 16”

And an underwater shot with the GoPro

Most of the trout were browns on the first stream, but I did manage one rainbow

And I even hooked into some stocked brookies before I ran into some other fishermen and decided to move on.

After bailing on my first stream, I moved on to a nearby stream that I had fished once before in late November. Well, let’s just say the vegetation in June Vs. late-November is like ‘night and day’. Even with stream flows being up in the general area, this stream was still pretty skinny and shallow.

The spots with fishable water did produce, but it was tough moving from one spot to another. My legs are aching just thinking about it as I sit here and type.

After 45 minutes of ducking, dodging, and crawling from spot to spot, I had enough and threw the towel in. Not a huge numbers day, but it was fun to get out and clear my mind before tomorrow’s Little League championship game!

pahoytman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:57 PM

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:15 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Congrats on a great outing.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

NRA Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:51 AM
The Man

Nice
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:48 AM

I really like the underwater shots and there were several other excellent pictures.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

As a follow-up, my Little League team won the championship Sunday morning. I was glad I was able to clear my mind and relax with some fishing on Saturday. Here's a photo of my twins and me with their trophies.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Traveler View Post
I really like the underwater shots and there were several other excellent pictures.
The GoPro is great for underwater shots and video. The "above water" shots are not as crisp as I think you get from a true digital camera. I'll try the iPhone on my next outing and see how the pictures come out (I just got a waterproof case for it). I'm just not sure I want to buy another digital camera for several hundred dollars just for pictures of fish... I've read reviews about the waterproof / life cameras and again, the crispness of the "above water" shots are not as good unless you get in the $500+ range.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:10 PM

Congrats on the championship! I know how from coaching my son how cool that can be. Unfortunately he and I lost 3-4 championship games together but they were always special experiences none the less.

Good fishing too!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Nice fish!!

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I didn't know go pro's took pictures. I thought they just did video. Pretty much all smart phones take good pictures now. Can't go wrong with that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page