Firsts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By troutdoorsman
  • 1 Post By FrankTroutAngler

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Firsts

I’ve been out a few days each week since the school year ended. Its nice in the early part of summer when I generally don’t have to worry about water levels and can choose any stream. With 5 years of data now for my fishing area, I have been trying to time my fishing trips to when I have historically had the most success on each stream. The patterns I notice obviously correlate to water levels and temperatures on smaller streams and to the proximity of state and private stockings on larger streams.

I’ve been having trouble recently with photobucket so I chose to include only 1 recent trip in this post. This stream has a 3 mile main steam and then it splits into 3 smaller tributaries. On Tuesday, I fished the 3 mile main stem. This part of the stream is stocked by the state and by a sportsmans club. There is good access for half of its length so it receives a lot of pressure during April and May. By now though, its been a few weeks since most of the trout have been bothered.

At my starting point, the stream was rolling with a perfect amount of water.

I usually don’t catch much in the first half mile of water, so I was taken by surprise when the first fish of the day was a splendid brown trout at 20” on the nose. My “new” rod doesn’t have any inch markings on it yet, so I grabbed an old tape measure from my tool bench and put it in my pocket.

However, as I expected, the day started off slow. A quarter of a mile further upstream, my 2nd fish came to hand. It was a battered and bruised 15” brown.

At this point I’d caught 2 trout in 35 minutes. But then, when the stream left civilization for the next mile, I made up for lost time.

And any time there is an American Chestnut root sprout within 50 yards of the stream, I can’t help but notice it.

Fish were being extracted regularly now, and to my surprise, a lot of them looked like this.

I’ve never caught any wild browns in this stream before. Perhaps somebody put a load of little ones in recently. The smallest little browns that I caught were 5-6”. This stream does drain into a larger stream, which has other tributaries that support wild browns. I guess its possible that some moved, but that seems like a lot of fish to move miles down a large stream and up into a smaller stream within 10 months since I last fished it.

I hit another traditionally slow section of water that is about ˝ mile in length. Its just shallow fast moving water.

Each year I resolve that next time, I will walk around this section and save myself half an hour, but I caved on this trip as well. I worked that half mile section and caught 4 native brook trout from it.

My biggest native of the day did come from this flat stretch so it was worth it. My 16’ tape measure told me this fish was 10” in length.

It had an interesting orange spot on its underside as if paint were spilled while detailing this fish.

Further along upstream, I found the first hemlock I’ve ever seen affected by HWA. I literally have checked thousands of hemlocks that I’ve walked under over the last few years.

On a separate watershed yesterday, I found another HWA infection. I guess the HWA finally made it here.

In the last ˝ mile of stream that I fished, I ran into about 30 stocked browns that must have come from the same stocking.

Of course this spot produced… The probability of catching a trout under a leaning tree increases proportionally with the angle of the tree from vertical…kidding of course…

This was the first time I’d ever seen so many forget-me-nots blooming stream side. I see pictures of some of you guys further east that regularly see them. I felt lucky to finally see some of my own.

Two browns that I caught from beneath deep log crossing holes were quite dark as if they had been there for a while and adapted to their surroundings.

At the last bridge I crossed under, there was evidence of recent angling…

I think this picture tells the story itself… And this is why, kids, you don’t FUI.

The last stocked trout of the day was a hefty 15.5” brookie. I rarely catch brook trout that big, stocked or wild.

At my exit point, the sun was shining brightly through the trees. I always like ending an outing on a positive note like that, which isn’t hard to do on PA wild trout streams.

In summary, the three firsts for the day were 1.small browns of unknown origin, which is not necessarily a positive thing because of the healthy native brookie population, 2. Hemlock woolly adelgid finally making its way into my corner of the world, and 3. Forget-me-nots in bloom. I stopped at exactly 100 trout in 6 hours. My previous best on that stream was 72.
pahoytman, jkhunter and bigguy54 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 12:55 PM

Entertaining read although it's a bit disappointing to see the Hemlock munchers are over there finally. I was hoping that prevailing north and westerly wind would hold them back just a little longer. They're slower to devastate then the Ash Borer as I'm sure you're very well aware of living over there but it's only a matter of time. Other than that cool post. My guess with the wild brown is that you just didn't catch them in the past. I have a stream out here that is Class A wild brown and for the first few years that I fished it I never caught a single brown. Only native brookies. Then on my 4th trip POW. Browns everywhere. It's possibly just a very fickle stream with the browns. Good discovery though cause now ya know!

Photo bucket is a P-I-T-A! Since I use my android to take pics most the time I just upload to the App which is waaaaaay more user friendly then the website these days. Dealing with it to upload to hear is enough to me a make gouge his eyes out. I've started using Instagram a lot more these days instead. It's just so easy and fast.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Looks like it was a nice outing other than the discovery of the HWA. As Trout mentioned above, it was definitely an entertaining read especially on a Friday afternoon while working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 03:08 PM

Forgot to mention, that 10" Brookie is awesome. Great fish.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I wish I could get my hands on some of the soil injection equipment for inoculating hemlocks against HWA. Some of the state parks around here have been treating trees in the park.

The amount of ground(water) that wild fish cover always blows my mind. The nearest water that connects to this stream where I caught wild browns last year was 11 miles away and through a small lake.

Last edited by troutdoorsman; 06-10-2017 at 02:13 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:58 AM

Very nice 20" brown! Great pictures and an excellent post.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Banned

great story and pictures
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Nice fish!!

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:46 AM

Nice photo of the 20" brown trout. It looks to me like a stocked fish that has probably been there for a while. Probably a trout from the sportsmen's club since it is not beat up.

The 10" native brookie is a nice fish.

When I see an American Chestnut tree I'm always amazed. To think it sprouted from a stump or root of a tree that died about a hundred years ago is amazing. Of course, wood that's underground (or underwater) doesn't rot too quickly. One stream I fish still has the virgin timber tree trunks lining the bed of a narrow gauge railroad track at a spot where the stream is chewing into the old RR bed. The logs are a good two feet in diameter and were cut down with axes. That's a piece of history.
bigguy54 likes this.

I can be contacted at [email protected].

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page