An Expensive Photo of a Trout - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

An Expensive Photo of a Trout

After a longer than usual outing for me on Thursday, I wanted to keep Saturday’s outing to around 3 hours as there were a lot of activities happening at our campground over the holiday weekend. By Friday evening, I had my mind set on a target stream that I fished briefly in 2016 and did fairly well.

My goal was to hike downstream about a mile further than the previous year as I hoped the extra mileage would pay off. The trail to the stream starts off fairly easy, but then starts to get narrow and tight with vegetation in long sections. Plus, it seems like great black bear habitat, which is supported by the several piles of bear scat I’ve come across.

After a decent hike downstream, I was feeling pretty confident when I finally broke out of a section of vegetation and was standing at the back of a small pool. My first cast yielded a strike followed by a trout chasing my spinner back to me, but neither trout would commit. My next cast also had a non-committal follow nearly back to my feet.

It only took 7 minutes before I brought my first trout to hand, but this seemed like a really long time as I was fishing some really nice looking water in half decent conditions.

I was really surprised how slow the action started off for the day. There would be great looking pools and beautiful runs that I would think to myself, this section will cough up a trout or two, only to come out empty handed.

It took another 30 minutes for the second trout of the day to come to hand. I was getting to the point on the stream where I had started to fish during my outing in 2016. I told myself that if the action was still dead, I would move on to another stream – even though I really didn’t have any readily available options.

Thankfully when I hit my prior year starting point, the action picked up and I was able to relax and enjoy the day more.

I had a good feeling when I walked up to the below pool.

My first cast yielded a very dark brown trout.

A couple of casts later and I was admiring this dark brookie. I caught another dark brookie before moving onwards.

I was coming upon posted land, but knew there was a fairly large pool that I could end the short outing with.

My first cast resulted in two quick hits followed by a chase nearly back to my feet. When the large brown (14-15” range) saw me, it retreated quickly to underneath a nearby log. My next cast barely hit the water and something big grabbed my spinner. The big trout made a few runs and leaps before finally surrendering. After what happened on Thursday’s outing (a big trout ran the spinner into my wader setting itself free and putting a hole in my waders), I was determined to at least get a picture or two of the big trout.

As luck would have it, I was able to get 3 quick shots of the fish before the trout smacked his tail and knocked my camera into the stream. I immediately powered off the camera and set the trout free. When I arrived back to camp, I threw it in some rice with the hope of saving it. The 12 year old camera was having issues as of late, and even after I let it sit in the rice for over 24 hours, I think it’s taken its last trout photo. So I guess I will be buying a new camera soon!

All in all, it was a great mini outing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Perfect ending for that camera.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 12:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice pics and story. I'm a big fan of spinner baits, what is your setup, rod length, pound test line, spinner weight? Also, what brand spinner is that??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNTRDAVE View Post
Nice pics and story. I'm a big fan of spinner baits, what is your setup, rod length, pound test line, spinner weight? Also, what brand spinner is that??
My setup is pretty much a knock-off of some of the spinner veterans on here, except my rod is store bought and not hand crafted. The rod is an inexpensive 5' graphite rod. I use 6# Stren MagnaThin line (diameter is more in line with 4# line). My spinners are home made and I have never actually weighed them, but I would put them around 1/8 to 1/10 of an ounce.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 02:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Very nice. That's about what I'm using. Except my spinner of choice is a panther martin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2669_1496256951161.jpg (1.33 MB, 29 views)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:40 AM

Man,. I have no idea how many camera's and phones have 'bought it's in a trout stream...........all of them lol. It's inevitable. Nice follow-up Trip.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

After losing 2 cameras and a phone to similar situations, I purchased a waterproof camera. I haven't had to worry about it going in the water since. You can find a pretty decent one for under $200.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 08:30 AM
The Man

Nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page