A Wet May Day Chasing Trout - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

A Wet May Day Chasing Trout

Today marked my first solo fishing trip of 2017, where time wasn’t a factor. When I was looking at the weather forecast Wednesday evening and trying to decide where to go, it looked like Central and Eastern PA were going to be bombarded with rain all day long on Thursday. When I woke up Thursday to make my final decision, one of my potential target areas seemed to be on the cusp of the heavy precipitation area, and with that, my mind was made up.

As soon as I pulled up to the first stream, I could hear through the forest that the flows were up. When I finally laid my eyes upon the stream, I was quite impressed – water was up and slightly off colored, but more than fishable. Within the first couple of minutes, I was releasing my first trout of the morning.

The action continued to be really good and I was picking trout off at a decent pace as the rains began to pick up.

When I laid out my loose plans for the day, my plan was to fish the first stream for about 2.5 hours and then move onto the second stream and fish it for 2 hours and then possibly move to a third stream depending on how I felt and how the day was panning out. Well, plans changed in a hurry when I hit an unexpected posted sign 30 minutes into fishing on the first stream. I hiked backed to my car and drove around looking for a place to pop back into the stream further upstream, but I couldn’t find a reasonable parking area that didn’t involve a time intensive hike back to the stream. With that, I was off to the second stream.

The second stream, which is one of my favorites, didn’t disappoint and the trout were brought to hand on a fairly consistent basis.

Some trout were fairly big…

…others, not so much.

A few times, the rains would become quite intense. So intense that I would retreat into the forest and check my email and read the news – gotta love smart phones.

Here was a muskrat trying to hide from me after he disturbed a pretty decent pool.

The trout were coming to hand at such a good pace, I didn’t mind the terrible weather. Two and a half hours later, I was hiking back to my car and ready to venture off to the third stream.

View from the top on stream number two.

The third stream is a tributary that dumps into an ATW. Before I entered the trib, I fired a cast upstream on the ATW and was greeted by a stocked brown (only stocked trout of the day).

The third stream action started slower than I had hoped, but it eventually picked up.

The heartbreak of the day occurred in the run below. I hooked into a decent trout in the 17-18” range, which I fought for a minute or two until I thought he was ready to surrender. Well, just as I got my camera out, the trout charges towards my leg and uses my leg as a pick – he buried the treble into my left wader leg and made his way to freedom. Well, now I have no picture of this beast and I have a hole in my waders. I was quite thrilled after that…

The action was still really good and when I started doing the math in my head, I knew that catching trout number 100, was not that far off.

Trout #99 was a typical 6” wild brown that had a lot of spunk and leapt out of my hand before I could photograph him. When I came upon the below hole, I knew that #100 lurked in it’s depths.

My first cast was met with a ferocious and heavy hit, but I didn’t set the hook. My next cast barely hit the water and I felt the hit. I set the hook and brought #100 to hand. Not huge at all, but he only had 1 eye – that’s unique enough for me!

The ‘bad eye’ side.

I fished for another 30 minutes and was able to bring another 19 trout to hand. I could have kept fishing, but I was happy and content with the day and since I was near my car, I decided that the day was done.

When all was said and done, I brought 119 trout to hand (and 1 sunfish) in 5.25 hours. All trout were wild browns with the exception of 1 stocked brown and 1 stocked brookie (below). Since the weekend is still young, I’m hoping to get out another morning or two over the holiday weekend.

bigguy54 and VaPa hunter like this.

Last edited by bjb2799; 05-26-2017 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:36 PM

Great pics! Those were some pretty fish.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

Great story and awesome looking streams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great way to spend the day!

Thanks for sharing the story and pics.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:58 PM
Banned

sounds like a great day and nice pics
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 08:26 AM

Nice! Congrats of the big day there! I know your time is limited so I'm glad you got a good long outing in and they the fish cooperated even thought mother nature didn't completely. So good pics in there and I think I recognize maybe 1 or two of those creeks although I could be total wrong lol. I stink at recognizing pics haha.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 10:48 AM

Congrats on a superb outing. Your pictures are excellent and I enjoyed the story.

TT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 11:21 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I haven't had one single outing where time wasn't a factor in the last two years. I'm envious.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 02:09 PM

That's one of the pitfalls of breathable waders. Rose bushes seem to be attracted to them as well.

Overall a good outing though.

Time is not a factor in most of my outings. I hate having to be back at a certain time.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 02:24 PM

Nice outing BJB, good seeing you finally got out, Your camper might be bigger than my house though!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page