Twins - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By troutdoorsman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Twins

The end is in sight. One more week of teaching and I can finally get on the water 4-5 days a week. Saturday was an example of a perfect day to fish with perfect stream conditions, but I was cutting grass all day. One yard that I cut borders a wild trout stream. The property owner has about 500 yards of stream frontage and has offered many times for me to come up and fish. I have fished that stream many times, but not within 2 miles of his place. I can't justify heading out to fish just a few hundred yards of stream.
I stopped to snap a picture after finishing up and as I took the picture a trout happened to boil up to the surface.

Sunday Part 1
I had a couple open hours this morning to get on the water and I brought a friend with me. We fished from 6:30 -8:30.
Our starting point was a beautiful deep run with a vertical rock edge and a leaning tree (my two favorite stream features).

Among others, this native was quickly lifted from edge of the rock.

Continuing upstream, more great habitat with fishermen friendly structure helped us run up quite a tally on the natives.

I had with a few retrieves where my spinner was knocked and chased by tiny YOY brookies, still too small to get hooked. I would say this particular watershed didn't suffer at all from last year's warm, dry summer. Although I don't think we had it quite as bad as other areas.

We encountered some stockers as well that must have moved up from somewhere lower in the watershed. The largest of which was a 19" brown.

The coloration on this fish really didn't do anything for me.

While walking back downstream after our 2 hour trip, a green frog jumped into the water and posed for a picture.

Sunday Part 2
All during the day, I was anticipating being able to get out for another short trip to a close to home stream. As expected, the obligations of the day ended, and my daughter was getting ready for nap #2.
This stream section really took me by surprise.

From just below where the logs are laying in the water up to where I was standing to take the picture, I caught 17 stocked trout. Most were unimpressive 9" brook trout. One fish in this stretch helped me to title my post. This 18" brown looked very similar to the one I caught this morning.

Just upstream of that hot stretch of water, a "dead" tributary stream emptied in. I have found articles online stating that this little stream can't support any type of aquatic life. I cast up into it and was immediately pursued by an ugly little brook trout.

I worked upstream a hundred yards or so and caught 2 more brook trout that had moved up from the larger stream.

Back on the main stem, my favorite honey holes produced as they always do. For some pictures, I pose the fish in front of the habitat that it was caught from. I'm not showing off the fish, rather showing off where it came from.

And some places were interesting enough to be photographed sans trout.

The last big trout of the day,a 16" brown, came from the previous picture with the vertical rock edge.

The two biggest trout of the day also looked strikingly similar to my first trout of the year that I caught from my dad's jet boat on the river. All 3 were rather bland.

Two hours this evening in a light drizzle produced 48 stocked trout and one native brook trout. My first 4 hour outing(which is the amount of time that I usually fish in a day) gave up 105 trout. This was the first pre-summer-break 100+ outing in 3 years. I rarely put in the time or effort to catch such numbers until summer when I switch my lifestyle over from physics teacher to trout bum.
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:56 AM

Nice! It's good to hear that things sound 'normal' and I really wasn't expecting that info to be any different than that. Like you said, it wasn't as bad in some areas as it was in the NC and CPA area. I'll look forward to more reports after the Memorial Day weekend when you really kick it into trout bum mode for the next month +. Good start though!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:58 AM

BTW that's a really excellent picture of the big stocked brown. The aperture setting is cool in that pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks, its a relatively new camera and I only take it out when I fish with somebody else.

Also, I forgot to mention that the only rainbow I caught that day and have pictured above was stocked as a fingerling a minimum distance of 12 river miles away from where I caught it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:16 AM

I know the rainbow stream....it was part of the paflyfish discussion......are you sure that local clubs don't stock any rainbows in there. You, of all people would know. Rainbows will travel though so I could see that being the case.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I haven't ever run into any rainbow stockings in that stream, and it looks identical to 95% of all the grown up fingerlings from where they plant them.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:52 AM

Those little buggers travel! You should email Rick Lorson with the PAFBC and let him know you're catching them. I recall a recent survey where they caught some there too in the past 4-5 years in the lowest portion of the stream. Small ones that some interpreted at wild repro. Might be a good place for future fingerling plantings.............

Last edited by Trout 2003; 05-23-2017 at 11:54 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Regular Visitor

I love catching those tiny brooks, they r beautiful. Where r u north east or west. No location needed. I love PA.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I fish the western half of the state mostly. I make a few trips each year central PA.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:40 PM
Banned

great looking pics, fish and habitat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page