Continued Excellent May Trout Fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Continued Excellent May Trout Fishing

I’ve built up a lot of vacation reserve over the last 2years so considering that it rained all last Saturday, I didn’t go fishingSunday due to Mother’s Day, and the night time temps were less than conduciveto great trout fishing, I decided to take a day off this week and spend the dayon the water. While looking at theweather earlier in the week I knew that yesterday was the day. Stream temps were going to be at yearlyhighs following a 60+ night and I knew that the events of the past weekend wouldprobably have reduced pressure greatly on local streams.

I had originally decided to fish a few new stream, one ofwhich is stocked, I did a lot of planning for this trip but at the last secondI thought ‘ya know….I better looking at the stocking schedule’ and saw that the stream had been very recentlystocked. That was bad news so Iabandoned that idea immediately due to the fact that there was surely going tohave been other anglers there recently and there were probably going to be guysthere all week. I really didn’t wannabe messing around with other fisherman at all. So with very little time to regroup I chosea plan A, B, and C for the today and off I went.

I arrived streamside to a steamy 73 degrees at daybreak. I debated wet wading but for whatever reasonI couldn’t get into the mental state for that just yet. Seemed early regardless of the weather. Stream temps were not going to be anissue on this day. I wasted little timegetting start but as usual, near the parking area the fishing was rather‘blah’. I caught 5 trout I the first30 minutes of fishing but have had much much better on this stream. Eventually as I fished my way upstream thepace began to improve and once I got into hour 2 I was catching trout at a veryconsistent pace and having a good time.

Stream levels were outstanding today, which I expected.

Some of the browns on this stream have amazing red markings.

And the habitat is exceptional throughout.

This stream runs through a very fertile valley and it’s ajungle along the stream with every square inch taken up by greenery (and purplehaha)

I was on a fairly short section of stream and told myselfearlier in the day that if I crested 50 trout in that stretch that I’d bepretty happy. When I made it to myhop out point I took my first look at the counter and saw 67. Ahead of schedule and off to stream #2 at8:45!!

Even though stream #2 was flowing great and had good coverthe fishing was very slow at first.

Only a few trout came to hand in the first 25 minutes

But much like stream #1 the fishing picked up the further Igot from the parking area. In thiscase though the fishing got really good much like it was last weekend. I was pretty focused and giving the trout agood education when I had the feeling I was being watched and caught a littlemovement out of the corner of my eye. When I turned my head there was a black bear about 20 yards off standingwhat looked like a good 5.5’ tall searching for whatever noise he’d justheard. It was kind of cool to watch asI’ve never seen a bear standing in the wild like that. He stood there scanning shifting his headleft to right for about 20 seconds before I figured it was time to alert him ofmy whereabouts. He got down on allfour paws and slipped into the maze of mountain laurel behind him. Pretty cool encounter.

It was back to business after that and business wasgood……real good!

When I finally made it to the end of the stream at 12:30 pmI looked at the counter again and saw 170+ showing. That was some really productive action forsure.

I had one more stream on my list for the day and with a good3 hours left I figured I’d check it out. I had fished there before but only very briefly so I was excited to trysome new water. Again……like the firsttwo streams the fishing was slooow for the first 20 minutes of so. The habitat was pretty crappy for the first╝ mile or so but once the gradient picked up the wild browns started coming tohand. Even a random little nativefound my offering more than it could resist. The only brook I’d catch on this day.

The fishing was good enough that I just kept going and goingand going. I couldn’t wait to see whatwas around the ‘next bend’. Eventuallythe stream started to break up into many tiny little channels and get reallythick. My hips and back were a littlesore and since it was 3:45 I figured it best that I head for home. I hadn’t looked at the counter in a whilebut knew I was over 200 at that point. When I saw that I have handled and released north of 250 trout I was abit surprised. I’d put in a long daythough, a lot longer than usual so when the fishing is really good and you sendmany’a’casts you’re bound to catch a lot of trout. I wager that I sent my spinner flyingtowards a likely target about 3500 times today. Man it was hot on the walk back to thetruck (forgot my bike!) and I was woefully under packed with stuff todrink. I was in pretty sore shape whenI finally made it to my wheels. I shotto the nearest gas station for the largest Gatorade money could buy. Boy did that hit the spot.

May has really started out tremendous for me and I can onlyhope it stays that way although I know it won’t. Conditions have been absolutely perfect on the2 days I’ve fished but that isn’t going to be the case each time out. I’m in central PA this weekend for a littlecamping and fishing trip and I’m not expecting the fishing to be too very goodat all but we’ll see. It’s fun to atleast try.

pahoytman and bigguy54 like this.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 05-19-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Another exceptional day!

Beautiful browns with the vivid red spots.

Any day that you see a bear is a memorable one.

For your next outing you need to top 300!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Another great day on the water for you!

I see you've changed up your 'spinner recipe' in your last 2 outings. Any reason behind that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I'm finding that the heavier you make your spinner the less line twist you get. I have no plastic terminal bead at all anymore. That combined with the type of blade I use gives me literally zero line twist on most spinners. 2 out of 3 I would say. It's been a phenomenal change and Something I've been trying to achieve for over a decade now. I hate.....and I mean hate line twist. It drives me crazy.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I was a little concerned with not having the off color terminal bead but it's clearly made no difference at all.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:05 AM

The brown trout in the third photo with the vivid red spots is a real beauty.

I've never seen a bear standing on its hind legs...don't care to, especially if it's only twenty yards away!

I really like the stream photo with the false hellebore in the lower right-hand corner. Nice way to frame the shot.

When I read about a productive outing such as this one, I often wonder what fly fishermen think.

Congrats on another fine day.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Your doing great so far this year. The low water levels from last year must not have had any adverse effects in your area. I've fished with brass only beads quite a few times. The simulated pearl beads that I have seem to crack fairly easily so if the action is fast, I just keep fishing without a plastic colored bead.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:15 PM
The Man

nice pics
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
Your doing great so far this year. The low water levels from last year must not have had any adverse effects in your area. I've fished with brass only beads quite a few times. The simulated pearl beads that I have seem to crack fairly easily so if the action is fast, I just keep fishing without a plastic colored bead.
Where do you buy your simulated pearl beads? I've been fishing with them for about 35 years and I don't recall even once having one of the plastic beads crack apart. Well...maybe once if I cast into a bridge abutment, but don't tell anyone I ever had that happen to me.

I once bought some 6mm plastic simulated pearl beads in a craft store and the covering wore off quickly. I buy them at Hagen's and have no problem with them cracking.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I bought mine from Hagens. The covering wears off quickly on every single one. And yes, they only crack when you hit something with it...which apparently I do more than most. This is one reason why I like my economy ruby beads. They are softer plastic and can take a lickin'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page