Mother's Day Trout Fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By bjb2799

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Mother's Day Trout Fishing

With the middle of May upon us, little league baseball is beginning to take over my weeknights and weekends – my sons are finishing up their “in house” leagues and then we move right into the “tournament travel teams”. Since tournament baseball engulfs our entire schedule come June and July, we decided to head to our new camper this weekend despite the predicted heavy rains for Saturday.

New Camper – 2018 Wildwood Heritage 356QB

The area near our camper received slightly more than an inch of rain on Saturday, so the streams were in decent shape for Sunday. As my wife and I are not into the “Hallmark holidays”, she had no problem with me sneaking out for a couple of hours on Sunday morning (Mother’s Day) to do some fishing. Despite the chilly morning (air temperature of 41 degrees), I was optimistic for a good outing.

The first cast of the morning resulted in a feisty wild brown. The second cast yielded a hard hitting stocked brookie. Trout number three came on cast number 4 and trout number four came on cast number 5. At this point, I was still standing in the same spot in the stream and had four trout tallied. I started to think that this day had the makings of a great one.

It didn’t take long before I was tallying trout number thirteen of the morning and I was only 20 minutes into fishing. But then it happened - the action just died without warning! Prime spot after prime spot yielded nothing. I wasn’t even seeing anything swiping at my spinner.

I fished for another 40 minutes on the first stream and only brought two additional trout to hand. Amazing how things can change that fast on the water.

One of the two trout appeared to be a wild rainbow trout

At the one hour mark, I knew I had to move before it was too late to salvage the morning. On my way back to my car, I was mentally flipping through my options when I decided to take a gamble and fish a stream that I had fished only once about 2 years ago. When I arrived at the second stream, I could see the stream was flowing nicely. Thankfully the first cast didn’t turn up a trout (bad luck for first cast trout?), but the second cast produced a nice wild brown.

Unlike the first stream of the morning, every good looking spot on the second stream really produced. The below hole, yielded three decent browns in three consecutive casts.

Although the stream was tight in a lot of places, it was more than fishable with a spinner.

Before I knew it, my predetermined quit time was upon me and it was time to high-tail it back to the car. One of our traditions at the camper is Sunday morning breakfast prepared by dad. The outdoor kitchen came in pretty handy. I might have to add Bloody Mary’s to the tradition going forward.

grousedog20 and bigguy54 like this.

Last edited by bjb2799; 05-15-2017 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Gramma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Banned

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:20 PM

Nice outing. It sounds like you ran into already fished water on your first stream. Did you see any boot tracks along the stream?

That's a beautiful rainbow. Nice stream pictures as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:39 PM

Wow...you really rough it when you go camping.

Thanks for taking the time to put this story together.

I've been running into a lot of slow action here and there too. I'm not sure it is caused by other anglers that day.

Nice trout and nice stream photos!

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I like your 4th picture taken from a low angle. I might have to try that next time I'm out. Interesting perspective.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTroutAngler View Post
Wow...you really rough it when you go camping.
Haha. Yeah, it's hard to call that camping at all - it has 2 full bathrooms whereas my real house only has 1 full bathroom.

Fishing is actually the root cause for us going from a tent to a travel trailer and now to a 43' fifth wheel. We kept having bear encounters while camping in the Poconos, so my wife put it to me simple - either get me something with 4 solid walls or stick around the campsite and forget about fishing. We had a travel trailer in less than 3 months lol.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:29 PM

Wow look at the size of that Hemlock in the second to last picture. It's crazy to think that in 5-8 years it will probably be lying on its side. Water sure looks great in those pics. Weird action on stream #1. That's pretty uncommon for it to just shut down. I'm pretty sure I know that stream which makes it even more surprising to me. Either way, nice pics. Everyone is sporting much better photo equipment these days. Gone are the blurring old cell phone pics. Well done gents!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page