Recent Fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Recent Fishing

I fished twice in the past week. I intended to fish today but when I woke up, I felt lousy and not up to fishing, so I stayed home. I had originally intended to fish tomorrow as well, but I'm still sore and the overnight low temperature is only supposed to be in the low 40s, so I will almost certainly not fish.

Saturday Fishing with a Friend

With the heavy rain forecast in various areas of the state, I watched the USGS stream flow gauges very closely on Friday into Saturday morning. I was considering fishing a favorite NE stream which is very scenic but is physically demanding to fish. I contacted Troutspinner, whom I have not fished with in several years, and proposed fishing that stream. He was not able to fish that far away. Due to family obligations, he needed to fish close to home. I considered going to the NE stream anyway, but its level went up less than I anticipated. I had fished the stream that Troutspinner wanted to fish the previous week and I make it a point to not fish the same stream section with less than a two-week rest. He believes that a heavy rain resets the stream and this intrigued me. I also welcomed the opportunity to fish with him again.

I met him at a familiar spot and we dropped my car a couple of miles upstream. We returned to where we met, parked his truck and hit the stream. My first cast produced a trout when I fished there on Monday and it did this time too, albeit a much smaller one. It was a 10-inch wild brown. Troutspinner also caught a trout soon after starting, but the action was much slower than we anticipated. The water temperature was only 55. We agreed that the stream fishes best with a WT of 62-66 degrees. We fished that stretch for about 1.5 hours and combined for only 12 wild browns. We decided to walk back to his truck and try upstream of where Iíd parked my car, since I didnít fish that stretch on my last trip.

We waded in right below where I parked my car and fished upstream for about 45 minutes. Surprisingly, the fishing was no better. We combined for 10 more wild browns. None were more than 11 inches.

We returned to our vehicles. Troutspinner decided to quit and return home. It was great to fish with him again and I hope we can fish together again soon.

10-inch wild brown

9-inch brown

10-inch brown

I went to a nearby stream that was recently designated as class A. I had tried to briefly a few years ago and caught nothing. While wading in, I slipped and fell on my backside. I didnít get any water in my waders or hurt myself; just a little humility.

I fished the small stream for 1.25 hours. I only got action where there were deep pools or cover. I caught six wild browns, two smallmouth bass, and three fall fish in that time. The biggest was a nice 14 ľ inch brown. After I passed a spot where there was an ATV trail through the creek, the stream became stagnant with a mucky bottom, not attractive water at all. I returned to my car and headed to a stream I hadnít fished in several years.

11 ľ inch brown

14 ľ inch wild brown

I drove to a stream that is rated class A for brook trout but also has a few browns. It was on the high side, but what bothered me was how much more it was developed than the last time I fished it. There were several homes/camps along the stream which generally is not conducive to maintaining good native brook trout populations. I probably should have tried it but decided not to.
Instead I headed to another stream about Ĺ hour away which I hadnít fished for several years. Unfortunately, a section that I fished the last time I was there was posted so I parked my car and headed for an unposted section.

I fished from there up through a scout camp where I encountered two other fishermen. I talked with them for a few minutes and they graciously told me I could fish there when I told them that Iím an Eagle Scout and current scout leader.

I caught ten wild browns there with the largest being 12 inches. When walking out, I talked with the scout leaders some more and they invited me to share their dinner, which was nice, but I declined since I had a two-hour drive home. They asked me to stop in any time I wanted.

On the day, I ground out 29 wild browns in 5.25 hours. I usually expect to catch more than that in early May, but the weather and water conditions were more like April. Fishing in the next week or so could be tough with so many streams being extremely high, but after last yearís drought, Iím glad weíve received a lot of rain.

Very Late Start

I took a big chance on Wednesday and left in the morning to head to a very small freestone stream. It had been cold overnight and I hoped that the stream warmed up by the time I waded in. I fished the stocked stream it feeds for 15 minutes and caught one 12-inch stocked rainbow.

I fished up the tiny freestoner hoping that the good flow would mean good fishing. It did not. Most of the trout in that stream are native brook trout but there are also a good number of wild browns. The trout tend to be small. I fished the class A freestoner for two hours and caught only 11 trout; 9 brooks and 2 browns. The biggest brook trout was a surprise 11-inch stocker. Iíve never caught stocked trout on that stream before. Most of the trout were sub-legals. I decided to walk back to my car and head for another stream.

I drove to a stream that I had fished briefly many years ago and then again last year. Itís a class A wild brown trout stream, but it is also stocked in the lower reaches. It tends to get warm in the summer, but it was 56 degrees.
I fished the stream for 2.25 hours and caught 13 trout. Surprisingly, 9 of the 13 were stocked trout of all three species, the other 4 were wild browns. The biggest trout was a 15-inch stocked brown. Sometimes itís hard to distinguish wild trout from stocked trout. Iíve caught stocked trout that had good color and undamaged fins, but several of the stockers I caught looked like theyíd been through the spin cycle of a washing machine.

Overall because of the late start, I only fished for 4 Ĺ hours and caught 25 trout, all on spinners.

Stocked brook trout from two different streams

I'm hoping I'll be able to return to fishing next week as the weather is supposed to warm up dramatically.

TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:03 PM
The Man

Nice pics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page