Old Richardson highway fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Old Richardson highway fishing

Headed back to Copper Center fishing. Taking some guys from work. While I've fished that area extensively I haven't ventured from there. Does anyone have any favorite spots from Glen Allen to Valdez? Be it fishing or site seeing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

I know we have and on the hunt forum but how about and on the fish forum. I'll keep posting to this as another adventure unfolds. Just keep in mind you can fish Alaska for much cheaper then you think. This trip with 4 guys will cost less then $1500 each total. Including everything from food to lodging. To transportation. Guys spend more then that on a black bear hunt. And for a small amount more we could do that as well. But in AK. If you haven't done it you need to. It is very addicting. Here is the cost break down.

Airfare-$600 each round trip. Very direct flight. Philly to Seattle to Anchorage. Leave at 5pm Friday from Philly. arrive Friday in Anchorage 11:30pm.

Rent crew cab truck 8days $700 divide by 4

Cabin rental on the bank of the river 6 nights $720 divide by 4

Fishing license $100 each

That totals $1055 each leaving $455 each for food and gas. And dry ice to get fish home. Cabin has a fridge, grill, microwave, shower etc. it's 200 miles from airport to fishing area so gas will be pretty low cost. Bugs will be bad except when fishing. The cold air from the glacier fed river keeps it reasonable. We will take 1 double gun case with 1 tactical shotgun and 3 handguns. We arrive in Anchorage at 11:30 and will drive to Palmer Walmart for groceries and bear spray. Proceed to fishing area and commence fishing. Leave here 5pm. Be fishing by 5am the next morning. With some time changes.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have visited Alaska twice in my lifetime,1986,and back again in 2004, both times by motor home. 1986 trip was 5 weeks and 11,000 miles round trip and did not stay more than one night at the same place. 2004 trip was more leisurely,up the inside passage on the ferry and still about the same mileage but was 10 weeks.
I am familiar with the area you speak of, but did not do any fishing there. As I recall the Copper River seemed to me anyway,
pretty violent and fast. Do you fish from a boat or from shore?
In 2004 there was a jolly old gent just off the Richardson Highway, near Copper Center, known as the Alaskan knife man. Charles (Chuck) Bowen, I have one of his custom made knives,made from I believe, Derlin steel (spelling) and Dall Sheep horn handle, paid $160 bucks for it, back then that was a lot of money for me anyway to pay for a knife. Chuck passed away in 2010 . Charles Bowen, 70, Copper Center, Alaska | Obituaries | lmtribune.com.
Sounds like a great adventure and a fun trip, what kind of fish do you catch,I suppose salmon would be one species? How many fish do you bring home?

I have often said that if I ever returned to Alaska again I would head straight for Valdez,and sit there and wait for the salmon to come into the bay,then go fishing. Age caught up with me so that's not going to happen.

Have fun and safe adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

We catch red salmon(sockeye) in the Klutina river. It is a very fast violent river. Most fish are with 8ft of bank. You can get kings but not keep them. There is a lake down in Chitna with good rainbow and silver salmon fishing. We have been researching 2 rivers the Gaulkana and the Tozlinia for rainbow and dolly varden if sockeye is slow. Last time I took old clothes and left them there bringing home a suitcase and a carry on full of frozen salmon with dry ice. This time I may buy a cooler. I'd say 65lbs last time for me personally. Hopefully with a cooler I'll get more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0495_1494852172862.JPG (444.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0494_1494852183980.JPG (562.0 KB, 51 views)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

The knife sounds awesome by the way
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:27 AM
New Arrival

When I lived up there I would just jump in the pickup and start driving. When I saw an interesting lake, pond, or creek, I would stop and fish. Most didn't even have names. Lots of trout and especially loved when I'd find a good grayling creek/pond. Some of the best fishing I've ever done. 4wt fly rod with a dry fly (humpy).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

After a really slow start to the sockeye run things have turned around at the fish counter about a weeks swim downstream from where we go. It is now up well above avg. also they have opened the king salmon season after closing it do to dismal run predictions. Looking good.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

We just added a 10-12 hr float trip on the Gaulkana River Glenn Allen Alaska. We will fish for king Salmon and whatever else we may catch. Gaulkana river rafts its called. $50 a man. Probably cost close to the same with Susquehanna outfitters on the Susquehanna or Juniata.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

2 more days of work and we're off. I've flown with long guns before. Never with handguns. As I read the TSA rules I don't see what would prohibit me from sticking a hard lockable pistol case inside of a hard suitcase that locks as well with waders and fishing gear. . I feel like a small pistol case in itself would be to easy to steal. Is anyone familiar with the ins and outs of this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

All packed and ready to go. Took packing wrap and wrapped all 8 rods individually then all together. Incorporated and aresol lid on end to protect tips. Then slid into rod tube. Wrap offers friction against tube so rods don't slide back and forth. I'm checking rod tube and a hard side suitcase. Suitcase only contains 2 pairs of waders, tackle, 6 reels and 2 large handguns with ammo. 49lbs. All day to day clothes in carry on. We bought our fishing license on line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page