A Wild Start to the 2017 Trout Campaign - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

A Wild Start to the 2017 Trout Campaign

A Wild Start to 2017 Campaign

As usual I’m off to a late start here in 2017. The normal culprits are to blame. Firewood stockpiles, kid’s sports, and turkey season have held me back. I like to takecare of all these things before I really get moving and fishing starts tobecome a priority for the summer. Italso allows me to wait out the cold water for better conditions in mid May.

Thankfully the wood cutting went great.

The kid’s game is as sharp as ever

And the turkeys fell early on just like I like.

And following my buddy cracking an excellent gobbler with meon Saturday AM, it was about time for me to blow the dust off the ole fishin’pole and hit the water finally.

I arrived at my chosen location bright and early…….9amhaha. The weather was breezy,overcast, and still quite warm yet so I was cautiously optimistic, especiallysince the late start would have allowed a little day time warming on thestream. I hopped in at a familiarlocation that is typically quite productive, registered a stream temp of 54degrees, and went at it. The first 15 minutes yielded only 3 trout and I had myconcerns about the days outcome. I didn’t mind though as Iwas in it for the long haul regardless. I was just happy to be out in the woods and on the water again following a 6 month break.

As I progressed further away from the road the fishing gotbetter.

And better.

Being so early in the year I really would never expect thefishing to get crazy but in this particular instance it was starting to buildtowards one of ‘those days’ and in a bigway. As I got about Ĺ mile from thenearest access the fishing reached that feverish pitch where literally everysingle cast was drawing a reaction from an unsuspecting trout. Places like this ‘TDM Special’ would produce4-5 wild browns in 3 minutes or less.

And some other spots would anchor even more fish to hand.

By noon time I was already cresting the century mark whichreally surprised me. I had a bit ofstream ahead of me yet so I figured I’d just ride it out and see what happens.

Some of the browns I was catching were amazingly strikingincluding this fishy with a cool design.

And this one that was missing a few spots but made up forthat with huge spots up front.

As I approached my chosen quitting spot I looked at myclicker for the first time in 2 hours to see 179 trout. On that note, and knowing that there wasanother couple hundred yards of open water yet ahead before the posting startedI decided to just go for it and chase 200+. That’s not too normal for me but it was the first outing and I had a lotof fresh energy. I didn’t really thinkI’d get there but the action picked up again and the trout really hammered meover the next 45 minutes. I wasn’teven sure I’d made it but I looked at my counter when I came to the sign overthe creek and saw 212 trout to my delight.

I walked back to where my bike was stashed and took off for the truck. Since it was only 2PM thoughts of furtherconquests danced through my mind but my back was staring to get a little soreand I’d had enough for the day. Ireally couldn’t have asked for a better start and to be honest there’s a goodchance that I won’t have a better day all season. Thegood news is that I have about 5 months to try!!
grousedog20 likes this.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 05-10-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Frequent Contributor

212 trout in one day!! That is incredible!! Congrats on your successful first trip!! If only they were all like that!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks John. Surprisingly, I'm glad they not all like that. It makes that days that are like this all the more special!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:43 PM

What a superb day! Congrats!

I will go out on a limb and say your daily and hourly average is at its peak for the year.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 05-11-2017 at 11:19 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:00 AM

Picture perfect day. Some real beautys.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If only you could find more "leaning tree" holes you might have caught 500 on the day... Great first outing and I liked the oversize spots on that fish.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

That is one heck of a way to kick off the trout season! Reading a post like this definitely increases the urge in me to get back out on the streams. Not that I'm complaining, but kids sports have pretty much kept me off the streams as well this spring. Hopefully, I can sneak out early Saturday morning before the monsoon hits in SEPA. Again, very nice first outing.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice start Zak! Glad to hear all things are in order for you guys. Your boy looks so much like you it's insane....poor kid.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Congrats on your fine day. It just shows once again how productive spinner fishing can be in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. It might be tough to hit 200 again this year.

I trust that you had your clicker re-calibrated and certified by the proper state agency during the off-season.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Did I mention that my clicker strikes 2 for every push??? Don't Tell anyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page