Unique Wildlife Experiences - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Unique Wildlife Experiences

Mauser06ís experience with the trout that had a frog in its mouth, yet still attacked his spinner made me wonder about other anglerís unique wildlife experiences, so I decided to start a new thread. I invite you to share some of your memorable experiences. Some may well have been listed here before, which is perfectly OK.

Trout 2003's experience when he was an intern and the huge brown coughed up a 3' water snake shows how predatory big browns can be.

Iíve had quite a few memorable wildlife encounters when fishing. Mauser06ís experience with frog eating trout made me think of a time many years ago when I was fishing the DHALO area on a NC stream. It was mid-June and the fishing wasnít good. There were tremendous numbers of tadpoles in the creek and I saw a nice smallmouth bass that was in the 14-15-inch range. The bass cruised along the bank until the tadpoles bunched into a tight group, then he took off, mouth agape and grabbed as many as he could. Such behavior fascinates me, and I stopped fishing to see if the situation repeated itself. I watched that bass make three more dashes through the mass of tadpoles before I returned to fishing.

One morning several years ago, Frankís brother Mark and I had agreed to meet at a state park in Potter County to fish a nearby stream. As we were getting ready to get into our cars and drive to our starting point, Mark saw an osprey with a fish being pursued by a bald eagle, which was trying to steal the fish from the osprey. It was a very cool start to the day.

Iíve had several experiences with bears over the years, some of which Iíve shared here. One occurred in a state park in the northeast part of the state. I had fished a large river and was headed back to my car when I decided to slip down the bank and fish a favorite pool on a tributary to the river. I worked my way down the steep bank and came face to face with a bear that was probably only 15 yards away. It wasnít a large bear, probably 200-300 pounds, but itís big enough to do some serious damage. It raised up on its hind legs and dropped hard on its front paws toward me, an obvious warning. I turned and started to scramble up the bank, but remembered that you donít run from a bear, so I slowly backed up the bank until I was out of sight of the bear, then beat feet back to my car.

Last year I shared an experience when I encountered a female mallard with two ducklings that was struggling to get away from a small snapping turtle. While I am normally a proponent of not interfering with the cycle of life, I knew the two ducklings were on borrowed time if their mother bit the dust, so I put my wading staff on the snapperís head until he let go. The mallard then made a noisy exit, with her brood in hot pursuit.

I shared another experience last year involving ducks. It was one of the funniest wildlife occurrences Iíve seen. It occurred quite a few years ago on a SE limestone stream during low water. I approached a small dam on the creek. The water was low enough that only a small stream of it was going over the left edge of the dam. One by one, the ducks walked across the top of the dam and rode the water going over the dam to the base, and then walked up the face of the dam. They did it repeatedly, seemingly for the fun of it.

There are lots more experiences I could share, but I donít want to make this a lengthy post. Iím interested to read about otherís wildlife experiences. They're an integral part of the fishing experience.

TT
bigguy54 and jimsdad like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:46 PM

I recall a wildlife encounter that occurred a number of years ago that was most unusual. It was not so much unusual for what it was, but for how it came about.

I recall it was a Friday evening and I was sitting in my Lazy Boy thinking about where I was going to go trout fishing the following morning. All of a sudden a clear vision flashed into my brain of seeing a large black bear crossing the hollow in front of me from left to right while I walked back to my SUV after fishing all day on one of my favorite mountain streams. The premonition was so strong and vivid that I felt like it was almost real. Keep in mind that I had never seen a black bear in this watershed before.

The next day I fished the aforementioned stream, often thinking about the premonition as I fished. Shortly after beginning the nearly two-hour hike back to my vehicle, in an area where the hollow was wide – just like in my premonition – I looked ahead and, you guessed it, watched as a bear ambled across the hollow exactly like in my vision. Exactly.

The interesting thing is that I wasn’t stunned. I truly expected it to happen. The premonition was that strong. The only difference between seeing the bear and my premonition is that the bear in my premonition was larger than the one I saw, which I would guess at 150 pounds. Other than that it was identical, right down to the color of the springtime foliage and the distance the bear was from me.

This was an experience I’ll never forget.

By the way, I’ve had other premonitions come true. I recall a summer day when I was fishing a mountain stream about a mile and a half below a reservoir. From the time I began fishing and also off and on while I fished, I kept having a premonition that I would find a dead beaver. Now keep in mind that I had never found a dead beaver before or after this day, nor had I ever even seen a beaver on this stream. The premonition was strong though. I honestly felt it was going to happen.

Anyway, I fished the entire stream up to the right side of the base of the reservoir and never found a dead beaver. I decided to fish over to the left side of the plunge pool at the base of the overflowing waterfall. When I got to the far left, at the spot where I had to quit, there was, you guessed it, a dead beaver lying on top of some debris. It had probably washed over the dam in high water.

I’ll never forget this experience either.

Now, if the feeling I get every time I reach a certain spot on a tiny mountain stream -- the feeling that I'm going to find a stash of pure gold bars, ever comes true, then I'll really begin to wonder about these premonitions.
bigguy54 and Trout Traveler like this.

I can be contacted at [email protected].

Last edited by FrankTroutAngler; 04-30-2017 at 08:55 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTroutAngler View Post
I recall a wildlife encounter that occurred a number of years ago that was most unusual. It was not so much unusual for what it was, but for how it came about.

I recall it was a Friday evening and I was sitting in my Lazy Boy thinking about where I was going to go trout fishing the following morning. All of a sudden a clear vision flashed into my brain of seeing a large black bear crossing the hollow in front of me from left to right while I walked back to my SUV after fishing all day on one of my favorite mountain streams. The premonition was so strong and vivid that I felt like it was almost real. Keep in mind that I had never seen a black bear in this watershed before.

The next day I fished the aforementioned stream, often thinking about the premonition as I fished. Shortly after beginning the nearly two-hour hike back to my vehicle, in an area where the hollow was wide Ė just like in my premonition Ė I looked ahead and, you guessed it, watched as a bear ambled across the hollow exactly like in my vision. Exactly.

The interesting thing is that I wasnít stunned. I truly expected it to happen. The premonition was that strong. The only difference between seeing the bear and my premonition is that the bear in my premonition was larger than the one I saw, which I would guess at 150 pounds. Other than that it was identical, right down to the color of the springtime foliage and the distance the bear was from me.

This was an experience Iíll never forget.

By the way, Iíve had other premonitions come true. I recall a summer day when I was fishing a mountain stream about a mile and a half below a reservoir. From the time I began fishing and also off and on while I fished, I kept having a premonition that I would find a dead beaver. Now keep in mind that I had never found a dead beaver before or after this day, nor had I ever seen a beaver on this stream. The premonition was strong though. I honestly felt it was going to happen.

Anyway, I fished the entire stream up to the right side of the base of the reservoir and never found a dead beaver. I decided to fish over to the left side of the plunge pool at the base of the overflowing waterfall. When I got to the far left, at the spot where I had to quit, there was, you guessed it, a dead beaver lying on top of some debris. It had probably washed over the dam in high water.

Iíll never forget this experience either.

Now, if the feeling I get every time I reach a certain spot on a tiny mountain stream -- the feeling that I'm going to find a stash of pure gold bars, ever comes true, then I'll really begin to wonder about these premonitions.
I want some of whatever you're taking hahaha
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 09:09 PM

When I was a kid probably around 12-14 I was up at our family cabin in Bedford Co. The adults were off doing some grounds keeping work so my younger cousin and I headed down to the local spring to play around and catch crayfish and salamanders. We were there messing around and turning over rocks for probably 30 mins or so when I stood up and looked behind me. There was a bear standing there looking at us roughly 20-25 yards away. It never made a sound. I was pretty startled but my mind immediately went to my younger cousin who was still playing around in the stream next to me. He was only about 8 or 9 at the time so I was worried that he would be really scared and possibly scream or run or do something foolish. I slowly turned around and put my hand over my cousins mouth and whispered in his ear to tell him about the bear. We both turned around slowly to face the bear, it was clearly disturbed by us and was pacing back and forth and sort of pounding its front paws on the ground. It wasn't a huge bear, but certainly no cub. So we slowly walked away until it was well out of sight and then we ran back to where our family was working.

Strangely enough this is the first and only bear that I have seen in PA, despite seeing a lot of other bears at places all around the country.

The other day while I was out walking the dog I saw a mink along a well known trout stream. It was right in the middle of a local park and I thought that was pretty cool. Probably 1 of only 2 or 3 that I have seen in my life and certainly the closest encounter.

I wasn't there but some years ago my father was hunting small game with some friends. They flushed up a pheasant and it flew straight into a tree and snapped its neck before anyone could take a shot. There wasn't any places nearby that stocked birds so I don't know where it came from or if it was wild...although I would hope that a wild bird wouldn't die such an undignified death hahaha.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Since I only fish streams in SE Pa I don't see as much as you guys do that fish up north but a couple of experiences come to mind. Many years ago I was fishing a popular trout stream here in Lancaster County and back in those days the creel limit was still 8 trout, so I had 6 on my stringer at the time. I didn't see any other fishermen at the creek and I wanted to try a spot downstream so I decided to leave my stringer and pick it up on the way back. When I arrived back at the stringer and lifted it up all my fish were gone! The rings were all closed but not a shred of any fish remained! The only explanation was that a snapper turtle got my fish. This was confirmed a few days later when I was fishing the same spot and actually caught a glimpse of the huge snapper. The other experience was on opening day this season in Lebanon County. I was fishing around a huge tree that leans out over the water. All of a sudden I catch movement on the ground near the tree. Here only a few feet from me was a mink.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTroutAngler View Post

The next day I fished the aforementioned stream, often thinking about the premonition as I fished. Shortly after beginning the nearly two-hour hike back to my vehicle, in an area where the hollow was wide – just like in my premonition – I looked ahead and, you guessed it, watched as a bear ambled across the hollow exactly like in my vision. Exactly.

The interesting thing is that I wasn’t stunned. I truly expected it to happen. The premonition was that strong. The only difference between seeing the bear and my premonition is that the bear in my premonition was larger than the one I saw, which I would guess at 150 pounds. Other than that it was identical, right down to the color of the springtime foliage and the distance the bear was from me.

This was an experience I’ll never forget.

By the way, I’ve had other premonitions come true. I recall a summer day when I was fishing a mountain stream about a mile and a half below a reservoir. From the time I began fishing and also off and on while I fished, I kept having a premonition that I would find a dead beaver. Now keep in mind that I had never found a dead beaver before or after this day, nor had I ever even seen a beaver on this stream. The premonition was strong though. I honestly felt it was going to happen.

I’ll never forget this experience either.

Very cool Frank. It's amazing how those premonitions work.

I've had a few similar occurrences, but none really that vivid.

There's a freestone stream that I've been fishing since 2004. It has a class A population of brook and brown trout. In 2010, I was there and I had this thought, "There's a good population of brooks and browns with the brookies outnumbering the browns, I might catch a wild tiger here." About three hours later, I did.

Another time, I was fishing a NC freestoner and it was getting dark. I thought about continuing to fish to see if I could catch a large brown after dark, but I got a foreboding feeling that something wasn't right and that I should get out of there, so I did. A few minutes later, I was walking up the road to my car and I heard a animal crashing through the underbrush. It was just upstream of where I had gotten out. I figured the only animal that would make that much noise is a bear. I caught a glimpse of it from the road and that's what it was. If I had continued fishing, I almost certainly would have run right into it.

This doesn't involve animals, but it is premonition-related. I was fishing a SC freestoner. The fishing was pretty good, but I got a incredibly powerful feeling that something wasn't right and I needed to get out of there. Since the feeling was so strong, I reeled up and left. There was a spot near a large tree that I really wanted to fish, but I left anyway. It was about 45 minutes upstream from where I quit. A little while after I drove out, a thunderstorm rolled in and there was a huge flash of lightning and a loud boom. I later found out that the lightning had hit the tree where I had planned to fish.

Eerie.

TT

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 05-03-2017 at 09:07 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Has anybody in their PA fishing experiences seen any of the following:

rattlesnakes/copperheads
beavers
skunks
bobcats
large flocks of turkeys
elk
fishers
otters
bears
coyotes
foxes
turtles
hawks/eagles/ospreys

I've documented some encounters here with bears, turtles,deer, eagles, ospreys, skunks, and shown pictures of large flocks of turkeys.

I've seen beavers on streams of course and had them scare the crap out of me a few times when a beaver slapped its tail on the surface when I didn't know it was there. I've seen some amazing beaver lodges.

For all the time I've spent fishing here, I've only positively seen one rattlesnake, though I've heard a couple. I've seen two copperheads for sure.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has seen an elk while fishing. I've only seen them when driving to/from fishing destinations.

I can't say for sure that I have seen a bobcat while fishing. Several years ago, when fishing a stream with Troutspinner, we saw an animal zip over a log on a stream late in the day. Troutspinner said he thought it was a bobcat, but wasn't sure.

I saw a fisher once while fishing a well known limestone stream. I saw a red fox in April while walking out from a NC freestone stream. I saw one hunting mice in a field once day, which was pretty cool.

Otters aren't widespread in PA but some watersheds do have them. I've not been fortunate enough to see one.

I'm interested to read about your wildlife encounters.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 05-05-2017 at 10:06 AM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 01:12 PM

the only real unusual sighting in pa was encountering a pack of about a dozen coyotes sitting on the back of my truck with my boots off.
daylight was just about gone and I heard them yipping up the mountain coming towards me ,they spit up going around my truck then reformed on the other side and continued down the mountain like I wasn't even there.

I have seen some stuff in fla tho.
while bass fishing near a spillway I had a fla panther come out of the brush and cross the spill way .
I was I a boat about 30 ft away .I just appeared , stopped about halfway across ,paused to look at us ,continued across and vanished again.
on the same spillway another time while fishing from shore I had a raccoon take everything out of my tackle box .
I let it above me up on top of the dyke when I heard rustling up there this big old coon pops up from inside the box and takes off,my lures are spread all over the ground and I mean everything except for a small bullet weight that I threw I the coons direction since it was the only thing it didn't touch.

I've feed many an expired wild shiner to ospreys ,they will come to within an arms length of the boat for an easy meal eagles no so they wait till it drifts off a ways from any boats.

but what sticks in my mind the most was a 5lb largemouth I named Cloe I used to hand feed.
every day a 11:00am i'd go down the dock with a piece of bread and an ultra light with a small hook.
i'd lean on the handrail and a big shadow would rise up and slowly swim below me under the dock.
i'd put a small piece of bread on and drop it in and immediately hook a bluegill
Cloe would sit and watch.
then i'd pull the bluegill out unhook it ,lay down on the dock and hold the bluegill by the tail over cloe.
she'd jump out of the water take the bluegill out of my hand .
she would then eat it and reposition herself again.
then i'd catch another bluegill and repeat.
i'd feed her 2 everyday shed then hang out in front of the dock for a few minutes then descend out of view.
when ever I took somebody to show them this fish I trained , Cloe wouldn't show up and I started questioning my mental status.
till one day my sister was with me ,the difference was she didn't walk on the dock she was standing on shore. Cloe came out and ate and I had a witness.
I seems she'd only come out when I walked on the dock alone at 11:00 am

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:14 PM

Trout Traveler’s mention of the wild tiger trout got me to thinking about a couple other premonitions that I’ve had while fishing. Both were not unique wildlife encounters but were unique fishing experiences. I’ve mentioned both of them before on this website but there may be some new people on here who will find this interesting.

On April 25th, 2009, I fished a tiny mountain stream in the Rothrock State Forest in central Pennsylvania. This creek has mostly native brook trout with an occasional wild brown. Without checking I believe almost all of the streams where I’ve caught wild tiger trout had strong native brook trout populations and just a few token wild brown trout. Prior to this day I had caught sixteen wild tiger trout out of nearly 200,000 trout in my life.

Anyway, I had caught two or three wild tiger trout in this stream in years past, but catching one was still certainly nothing to expect. Prior to this day I had caught over 23,000 trout since my last wild tiger trout. On this crisp spring morning I went to this non-stocked brook primarily to avoid the early season crowds.

When I started fishing I immediately got a strong premonition that I would catch a wild tiger trout. The premonition was so strong that I felt certain it would happen. As I fished I expected one of those mint green gems to show up on the hook of my White Bead Gold spinner at any time.

About a half hour into the morning it happened -- I landed a 6.5” wild tiger trout in a tiny pool! There was no surprise to it; I expected it. That’s the way premonitions work. But what was even more interesting is that as soon as I released this rare fish I got an even stronger premonition that I would catch a second wild tiger trout. On every cast I watched closely, expecting it to happen. My concentration was intense.

Within about two minutes I landed a small wild brown trout. As I moved upstream I came to another little pool, and you guessed it, cranked out another 6.5” wild tiger trout! Again, I was not surprised. That’s the way premonitions work. What are the odds of catching two different wild tiger trout in one day within five minutes? Many anglers fish their entire lives and don’t catch even one. After releasing this trout I did not get another premonition.

This was an experience that I’ll never forget.

Another time I was fishing a medium-sized mountain stream in the summer the day after a hard rain and had another strong premonition, but it didn’t involve a tiger trout – it involved two trout. While fishing I keep getting an intense premonition that I was going to catch two trout in one cast with my spinner.

I had fished for a few hours and the premonition kept repeating itself over and over in my mind. It wouldn’t go away. I came to a long pool with rhododendron hanging in from both sides. I knifed a long cast up the center of the pool and immediately hooked a native brook trout, about 7” or so long if I recall correctly.

As I retrieved it a brown trout about 14” long or so came up behind it in hot pursuit. The brook trout fought from left to right and back again as I played it toward me, while the brown trout made a beeline straight down the center. When the brook trout crossed the center of the pool the brown trout engulfed the brookie from behind up to the dorsal fin in one colossal bite. I played both of them in to my feet and released them – two trout in one cast!

Again, I was not surprised. I expected it to happen. That’s how premonitions work.

This was another experience that I’ll never forget.
Trout Traveler likes this.

Last edited by FrankTroutAngler; 05-09-2017 at 09:34 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:24 AM

This is my 39th year to fish seriously for trout and Iíve had a lot of wildlife encounters. Most of my fishing is done alone, so that increases the odds of viewing wildlife.

Iíve seen over fifty black bears while trout fishing, including a mother bear and three cubs on four different occasions. These family groups were seen along Spring Creek, Vanscoyoc Run, the Little Juniata River (on the first day of bear season), and a secret little mountain stream. The sighting along the secret stream about five or six years ago was the most unique of all of my wildlife encounters because two of the little cubs were cinnamon-colored, which is very unusual in Pennsylvania.

I also once saw a small light-colored bear floating along some debris in Spring Creek below Bellefonte, but it turned out to be a teddy bear, so I canít count that one.

Iíve seen a dozen or so rattlesnakes, including a beautiful yellow-phase rattler in the sedges along Penns Creek. I cringe when I see bare-legged hikers walking through the sedges there. I tramped within six inches of it but it didnít strike. Iíve seen two along Cherry Run, tributary of Penns Creek, as well as two or three on the road between Woodward and Penns Creek while driving, which I donít count as seen while fishing. Iíd mention some others but then Iíd be giving away some of my special streams.

I have never seen a copperhead while fishing.

About thirty years ago I saw a coyote chasing a fawn along Penns Creek in the flat across from the PFBCís building, which I believe is called Station 22. I recall seeing only one other coyote while fishing but Iíve seen about ten while driving.

Iíve seen hundreds of mink, including one that launched itself off of a rock and onto my bulging waist-pocket of my fishing vest. Yes, I screamed like a little girl on that one, but since no one was around to hear it we canít be too sure.

Iíve never seen an elk while fishing. When and if this ever happens I will consider it a true event, particularly if it is a large bull elk. I once had a bull elk walk across the road in front of my SUV in the blueberry meadows at the upper end of Wykoff Road (near the Quehanna Highway) at daybreak in the fog.

A few years ago I think I saw an otter in Spring Creek across from the Kwik Fill below Bellefonte, but Iím not sure enough to count it as my first otter sighting. It was definitely not a mink or beaver.

I once saw two wood turtles on top of each other under the water in November. I guess they were trying to stay warm.

Iíve had so many bald eagle sightings that they are now just mini-events. The sighting that sticks out is when I saw one attack an osprey that was carrying a 12Ē wild brown trout while fishing Penns Creek. The osprey dropped the trout from about a hundred feet in the air and it sailed through the air and hit the water about 75 yards upstream from me, then floated down past me.

One summer morning when I was fishing a small mountain stream I looked upstream and saw a grey fox walking along the left bank coming my way. The sun was shining down through the hemlocks and fog on a very damp, still morning. The fox trotted past me within five yards. It had a half-grown rabbit in its mouth.

About ten years ago I saw a bobcat swim across the Frankstown Branch of the Juniata River, which at that spot was about 120 feet wide. Only its head stuck out above the water. Once it crossed it turned around and crossed again. I had my binoculars along and zoomed in on just the head as it swam across. There were two Canada geese near where it swam. Later that same year on a smaller nearby stream I saw a bobcat walk down the trunk of a fallen tree to the water in the middle of the creek and then hop on rocks to the other side.

One time along Spring Creek I stopped to inspect the animal tracks in the mud under a large dead tree. I bent over and looked under the roots and probably spent a minute there. I fished upstream maybe thirty yards when I heard a loud ďcrack,Ē almost like a gun going off. The noise was caused by the trunk of the tree hitting the water. The tree was well over a foot in diameter and had it fallen while I was there I suspect I might not be writing this today.

Thatís all of the major sightings I can think of right now.
Trout Traveler likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page