Spruce Creek Help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Spruce Creek Help

I've never fished Spruce Creek. My wife and I are talking about going tomorrow, but not sure exactly where to go. Can anyone give some insight on it for me? Also, is that section of Little J fly fishing only?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 01:33 PM
New Arrival

Spruce Creek - Sec # 3 - Huntingdon County(s)
Upper Limit UPST BNDY PSU EXP C&R AREA
Lower Limit LWR BNDY PSU EXP C&R AREA
Miles 0.45
Special Reg #1 Catch and Release, Artificial Lures Only

This is the only open water on Spruce Creek. The rest is private, either closed, or fee-to-fish only.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "that section" of Little J, but if you mean the section where Spruce dumps in, it is C&R All Tackle there and upstream for almost seven miles.

Little Juniata River - Sec # 6 - Blair, Huntingdon County(s)
Upper Limit RR BRDG AT EAST (DNS) BORDER OF IRONVILLE
Lower Limit MOUTH OF SPRUCE CREEK
Miles 6.97
Special Reg #1 Catch-and-Release All Tackle
Old 04-26-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonoid View Post
Spruce Creek - Sec # 3 - Huntingdon County(s)
Upper Limit UPST BNDY PSU EXP C&R AREA
Lower Limit LWR BNDY PSU EXP C&R AREA
Miles 0.45
Special Reg #1 Catch and Release, Artificial Lures Only

This is the only open water on Spruce Creek. The rest is private, either closed, or fee-to-fish only.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "that section" of Little J, but if you mean the section where Spruce dumps in, it is C&R All Tackle there and upstream for almost seven miles.

Little Juniata River - Sec # 6 - Blair, Huntingdon County(s)
Upper Limit RR BRDG AT EAST (DNS) BORDER OF IRONVILLE
Lower Limit MOUTH OF SPRUCE CREEK
Miles 6.97
Special Reg #1 Catch-and-Release All Tackle
Thank you! I did mean where Spruce dumped in. So the section of Little J that runs along 453 just East of Tyrone, is that open as well then? Not sure where to find all this information. I looked on the Fish and Boat Commission page, but I'm not exactly sure what I am looking for. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 05:28 PM
New Arrival

PFBC ArcGIS Web Application

Have a look at the above map. It should show you all the stream sections pertaining to trout. Toggle the layers on and when you click on a segment, it will give you information about the segment.

The Little J is special regulations for about 7 miles, to Spruce (and is Class A). Below Spruce to the mouth, it is also special regulations (and Class A). So basically Spruce sits about in the middle of the C&R All Tackle stretch.

As far as access on the Little J, the courts have held it to be navigable in fact, which means it's one of the few streams that the Commonwealth has confirmed you can be in the stream below the high water mark. It does not mean you can cross posted land to get the stream, so do your homework and pay attention to what is between where you park and the stream.

See Public Access To Waters for more info.

Last edited by salmonoid; 04-26-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Skip spruce creek and fish the little J. The penn state stretch on spruce creek is very short and gets a fair amount of pressure. I was at the little J today and the flow and color are perfect. Tons and tons of fishing were feeding on dry flies if your a fly fisherman. I was throwing spinners and still had an awesome day. Access for the most part is good with limited posted property. If you fish below spruce creek just remember to stay below the high water mark.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouttime View Post
Skip spruce creek and fish the little J. The penn state stretch on spruce creek is very short and gets a fair amount of pressure. I was at the little J today and the flow and color are perfect. Tons and tons of fishing were feeding on dry flies if your a fly fisherman. I was throwing spinners and still had an awesome day. Access for the most part is good with limited posted property. If you fish below spruce creek just remember to stay below the high water mark.
Thank you everyone! I was thinking of parking somewhere in Ironville, or just fishing right below Grier School.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in