A Relaxing April Day on the Water - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

A Relaxing April Day on the Water

Typically when I get out trout fishing, I have my “gas pedal” to the floor from start to finish. My usual goal is to cover as much water as I possibly can in a fixed period of time to yield the greatest number of trout. For me, this is what I typically define as a relaxing outing on the water.

It was different last Thursday when I met up with a good friend of mine from high school (Nick) for a day of trout fishing. I had two possible areas picked out to fish - one area was North and the other was West from us. The area West of us had more favorable weather conditions and that became our target.

We arrived shortly after sunrise to very pleasant and spring like temperatures. The stream runs through a park so there were some joggers and dog walkers moving about, but the stream itself was wide open for us.

It didn’t take more than a few casts before I brought the first trout of the day to hand – a nice 4-5” wild brown. Although we were moving at a gentle pace, we were consistently catching trout at a pretty good rate. We even had a half dozen “doubles” or so during the day.

Since the action was so decent, neither one of us ever had the urge to start moving any faster. It was just a nice relaxing stroll upstream with plenty of fish to boot.

Nick with a nice 14” wild brown.

The stream even got ‘urban’ in a section.

But there was still wild trout to be found.

We even landed two rainbows (each one was from the same pool).

When we ended the day after a little over 5 hours of fishing, my pitch counter showed ‘48’ trout for me. Nick is not a fish counter, but he had to have caught just as many trout (or close to it). Not a bad day of fishing at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I also snuck out Monday morning for about an hour to a local ATW. The habitat is blah at best and all the trout were dumped into a single stretch, but it was fun to mess around with the micro rod and reel before hitting the gym.

Weapon of Choice

The Trout Spot

I only brought 4 trout to hand and was able to land this nice stocked brown. I’m not sure how big he was, but he really ran the drag on me and had the micro rod doubled over. After a few quick pictures, he was back in the stream ready to become someone’s Powerbait victim.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice stuff. Good pictures.
I have been retired for 3 years and I still have to remind myself to slow down. Limited time always makes one speed up to get stuff done. My tip of the day is slow down and relax. It's tough to do and you have to work on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:44 AM

Nice outing bjb, I would consider that entire first stream pretty "urban" haha...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:25 AM
The Man

Nice
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:11 AM

Very nice!

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwright032 View Post
Nice outing bjb, I would consider that entire first stream pretty "urban" haha...
Although the stream flows through an "urban" park, it's really tough for me to call that area "urban" as that neighborhood is one of the wealthiest in Pennsylvania. I felt bad parking my 10 year old Hyundai amongst all the new Mercedes, BMWs and Audis lol.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 AM

Nice, water looks to be in good shape!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:49 AM
New Arrival

The first pic looks super familiar. Pretty sure I've fished this creek a bunch of times. Most people have no idea there are wild browns in there. If this is where I think it is, you should've seen the park during the Pokémon Go craze lol.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:47 PM
Banned

nice pics. looks like great outings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page