First Day!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

First Day!!

Trout opener 2017 for the rest of the state. Where are you going? Post pictures of your day.

I'm taking the kayak out on the Quemahoning Dam in Somerset County. This isn't specified as trout waters but they do have some dandy brown trout in the deep lake thanks to natural reproduction and a supplement of fingerlings by the PFBC. Plus, I won't have to deal with crowds.

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 02:49 PM

Ended up going by myself this morning since everyone bailed on me again. I did well. Managed two big breeder rainbows amd probably 15 smaller ones. Trout magnets, Berkley Gulp Minnows, amd spinners. Could only fish till 11.

Noticeably less pressure where I was. Game Commission came through last year on the opener and dinged everyone for fires, camping, and alcohol. Not a tent in sight this year.
nomad_archer likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I took a friend this morning and our first stop was Dunbar creek. Didn't catch or see any fish in the 3/8 mile of stream we fished. Last year on the first day I caught 52 in that same stretch. Left Dunbar and went to a smaller stream that has a mix of stocked and wild fish which saved the day as we split on about 100 trout in a mile of stream. I have been seeing people fishing Dunbar creek illegally the last few weeks. They just plop down in a lawn chair out in the wide open. I reported it to a fish warden that I saw in the fly area last week.Most likely the same people who litter and dump garbage all through the watershed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:12 PM

Took my two nieces out with my dad. They practiced casting a good bit, and played with wax worms, trying to keep them as pets lol. Mostly we just goofed off, but we caught one trout and one perch. Duman lake was packed to the brim. We were going to go to Rowena but there wasn't even a place to park, let alone an open area of shoreline to fish!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:21 PM
The Man

I spent opening day washing clothes and getting my gear together to head to camp tomorrow afternoon. Opening day for me is Monday and we'll fish through Wed AM. I have heard reports that things were very busy this morning around home here. Hope everyone who went had some success.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The weather was perfect today. I thought with all of the deer I saw running this morning I thought the fishing would be great but caught nothing. The paddling in the kayak got tough about 11 AM due to the wind. But, I enjoyed the day nonetheless.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
I took a friend this morning and our first stop was Dunbar creek. Didn't catch or see any fish in the 3/8 mile of stream we fished. Last year on the first day I caught 52 in that same stretch. Left Dunbar and went to a smaller stream that has a mix of stocked and wild fish which saved the day as we split on about 100 trout in a mile of stream. I have been seeing people fishing Dunbar creek illegally the last few weeks. They just plop down in a lawn chair out in the wide open. I reported it to a fish warden that I saw in the fly area last week.Most likely the same people who litter and dump garbage all through the watershed.
Saw the same thing last week. People fishing all over the place in Dunbar Creek. Talked to a Waterways conservation officer about it. Don't know if anything came of it though. Dunbar Creek has become somewhat of a joke anymore. The Fish commission only cares about the no harvest fly fishing only section, so the lower section receives less and less fish each year. I haven't fished there in years, and I only live minutes from it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I live about 5 minutes or less from it too and have noticed the same thing. It keeps getting worse. Even the fly fishing section gets hit pretty hard with bait fishermen now. In the summers I run from my house up along dunbar creek and last year I was able to successfully alert a WCO to a family bait fishing one of the jack dams in the FFO.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:17 PM
The Man

First Day

1st day at Rattlesnake Camp in Northern Clinton county, filled with big smiles, the American Flag was flying and the yard needed mowed on Good Friday!
It was a good day.

VaPa hunter likes this.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
I live about 5 minutes or less from it too and have noticed the same thing. It keeps getting worse. Even the fly fishing section gets hit pretty hard with bait fishermen now. In the summers I run from my house up along dunbar creek and last year I was able to successfully alert a WCO to a family bait fishing one of the jack dams in the FFO.
Poor old Dunbar. I used to fish there a lot. Love the FFO section but the stream really seems to get low pretty frequently. Last time I was there a year or two ago a few of the jack dams and other structures had been totally destroyed by flood waters. I hiked up stream about 1/2 mile from the end of the road and found a GIANT log jam up in the valley. I had never seen anything like it, totally rerouted the stream in that section. I've fished up to glade run a few times but never caught any wild fish.

I never had any problems but I have heard stories from old timers about people getting robbed and stuff up in the FFO section. I "alerted" a WCO to a couple that was spin fishing in the FFO a year or two ago. By "alert" I mean I called the PFBC and a WCO returned my call two days later. I gave him a description of the people and their vehicle. He gave me the old ho hum story "yeah, we've had a lot of problems at Dunbar over the years". WCO said that he would give me his cell phone number so I could call him directly if I saw anything going on, but I couldn't write it down at the time and he never texted it to me like I asked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page