I fished Monday through Wednesday this week and had quite a few problems. On Monday I drove to two streams which were too high to fish, so I went to a nearby freestoner. The water was up but it was at a fishable level.
The water temperature was only 46 to start and the action was predictably slow. I caught only two wild browns and two native brookies in the 1.25 hours I fished that stream. I continued past the junction of two streams that formed the creek where I had started. The action continued to be slow but I enjoyed hiking up a long way on the scenic stream. I landed nine native brook trout and three wild browns in the 3.75 hours I fished there. Unfortunately, the tip came off my spinning rod while I was fishing.
I saw a beautiful red fox on the walk out.
After I made the long walk back to my car, I drove to another nearby freestoner. Shortly after I waded in, my waders began (or I should say resumed) leaking. The waders were a gift but are the most useless waders Iíve ever had. Iíve only had them since October and Iíve had to patch them more than a half dozen times. They were a clearance item(wonder why) so they canít be returned.
I walked back to my car, took off my waders and put on my hip boots. I returned to the creek and caught 10 wild browns in the 1.5 hours I fished. I lost a heavy brown soon after starting.
For the day, I caught 26 trout in 6.5 hours, which I consider to be very slow action for mountain freestone streams. The biggest trout was an 11 Ĺ inch brown. All trout hit spinners.
I went to a familiar freestoner where Iíve done well in the past. This time though, the action was very slow. Most of the trout I catch there are small, but I usually manage to catch a wild brown or two near or exceeding 12 inches. I caught only 18 trout (15 native brooks, 3 wild browns) in three hours. The biggest was only 8 Ĺ inches long. I believe that stream has received quite a bit of early season pressure.
I had more fishing equipment problems. The bail on one of my reels broke.
I left there and drove to a class A freestoner that has native brookies. I caught 9 brookies in an hour and a half. The biggest was only 7 Ĺ inches. On the way back to my car I saw a wild turkey.
Overall, I caught 27 trout (24 brooks, 3 browns). All but one hit spinners. The other one hit a spoon.
The above fish makes a case for using braided line
I returned to one of the streams I left on Monday due to high water. The water level was still up, but was fishable. The action started slowly, but improved as the morning wore on. Unfortunately, I only had a limited time to fish since I had a meeting to attend in the evening.
I caught 30 wild browns from the first section I fished, and had 8-9 get off. I had a lot of trout flash/short strike. Unlike the previous two days where most of the trout were from the junior division, I caught several nice browns. I didnít get any big trout, but 9 of the browns were at least a foot long. The biggest was 15 ľ inches, one of two 15 inchers I landed.
I drove to a section that I rarely fish. There was a lot of construction there the last year or two and it hurt the habitat. There was a camera crew there who wanted to talk to fishermen about the regulations adapted for the area. I was asked several questions on whether I approve of the regulations (anglers must wade, no fishing from the bank to not interfere with walkers and people riding bikes. My mother called me to say that she had seen me on TV yesterday.
I only fished there for about an hour and only caught one trout. The stream is much larger there and the water was high and fast. I should have known better than to try it.
I had patched my waders for the umpteenth time on Tuesday night and I actually got through yesterdayís fishing without any leaks. When I arrived home, my new waders were waiting for me.
For the day, I landed 31 trout in 5.5 hours of fishing. All the trout hit spinners.
I saw an add on the telly a few days ago where a guy demonstrates using a "magic" waterproof tape to seal holes, such as a bucket of water with a one-inch hole in it. While the water is pouring out of the hole he takes a piece of the tape and seals it from the outside. He also cuts a johnboat in half lengthwise and then tapes it back together. I wonder if that tape would work on breathable waders and hip boots? I wish I had gotten the website and name of the product. It costs $20.00 for a roll of it, but if it patched boots it would pay for itself quickly.
Thank you for the wonderful pictures and story. What brand are the waders I would very much like to avoid the brand.
The brand is Allen. Last year my sister sent me an email with a link and asked if it was a good deal. I told her that I was skeptical as they didn't look like good waders. Later that year, I received the same waders as a gift from my parents.
I am hard on waders because I use them so much. Most leaks I get are in the seams but I also get pin hole leaks. In the Allen waders, I got seam leaks, pin holes, but several in the neoprene booties, which is unusual. Every time I would patch them, another would appear.
As I said in my post, my new waders arrived from Cabela's yesterday. I will keep the Allen waders as a backup, but expect to use my new waders until it's warm enough to wear my wading pants.
Thanks for the info. My last pair of waders (hodgman) were leaky nearly from the start. I am giving simms a try this time. For what I paid I hope they hold up. I wear my waders year round so they get a pretty decent amount of use each year. Best of luck this season.