Yough Stock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Yough Stock

I guess this is more of a local question, but...... In the past, they would stock the Yough River, from the dam to about 1 mile downstream the beginning of April. They also had that section only, CLOSED to fishing until the regular opening day in mid-April. Do they still do that, or is it open now ?

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I think I found it. The way this reads, I can fish the Yough from the Dam to the Casselman, today, tomorrow, or even Saturday at 7 AM, but I just can't keep a fish until 8AM Saturday. No prob, I wouldn't keep them anyway.

http://pfbc.pa.gov/fishpub/summaryad/yearround.html

This is a change from some year back, as I said. They used to close that section for 2 weeks prior to the opener.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 04:28 PM

Yeah I seem to recall that it used to be that way also. I wish they would turn that section into catch and release year round it holds fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:00 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

This time of year there are trout in sections of the yough much closer to you than Confluence or Ohiopyle. Many local clubs stock the lower sections in march and april.Just check the clubs' websites for stocking dates.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
This time of year there are trout in sections of the yough much closer to you than Confluence or Ohiopyle. Many local clubs stock the lower sections in march and april.Just check the clubs' websites for stocking dates.

Oh ya, I know. I have been buying Smithton and West Newton buttons since the 70's. With the rain though, those areas got quite high, as many feeder streams dump into it. The dam is where it all starts, and they will have the water shut down for the first day, so it will be fishable.

Not to mention, the mountainous section of the Yough is much more pleasing to the eye, than what I call "industrial fishing" in the lower Yough.
Marcus99 likes this.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 05:21 PM

I hope they shut it down for the first day. Right now, it's pumping 1000 cubic feet per second at 4.5 feet over. Yough still high down stream, I guess cause all the feeder streams are still a little high. Was at Ohiopyle today to check things out. I will give it a go tomorrow. It will be tough fishing, but at least I'll be fishing.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

I think the Yough should be catch and release year round from the outflow to Connelsville. The fish in that stretch survive and grow big. Fishing access is as good as it gets for anyone who wants to fish next to their car or get several miles away from the road. I'm not saying there are not big fish in there now, I've caught some. I just think when we have one year round quality trout fishery in this part of the state why not preserve it.
Marcus99 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:36 AM

I own two rafts so I can float and fish that river. I'm open to having a guest or two. Have extra pfds.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 03:11 PM

Went this morning. After a long hike, i banged 4 rainbows and a huge Smallmouth. All nice fish, all returned to the river. I love fishing the Yough.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:15 PM

Muzz did you fish upstream or downstream of Ohiopyle?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page