HELP... minnie dudes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

HELP... minnie dudes

Some years ago, I was into Minnie fishing, and threading them. I bought a small kit of wire and double-hooks. You tie the wire to the line, then run it through the mouth, and out it's vent in the rear, then snap the hook on. For the life of me, I cannot find this setup any longer. I forget where I found this contraption. Do any of you know if they still sell them in a box store ? or online anywhere ?

Thx

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:07 AM
Part of the Community

I grew up using a hand tied rig with a single hook in the head and two #12 or #14 treble hooks. One hook in each side of the body. The short line treble hook is stationary, meaning doesn't slide. The back treble is actually the main leader line thus is adjustable by sliding the single hook up or down the leader line to adjust for larger or smaller minnows.

The man who tied these has since passed and well I took one of his rigs apart and taught myself how to tie them. Now it is second nature to tie them. They are somewhat time consuming but it helps to pass time in the winter cold months after all the hunting is over with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0061.JPG (22.5 KB, 49 views)

Get off the couch and do something constructive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Same company that makes the minnow needles, Duties? Split double hooks are still available but the trebles are scarce! We could still get the doubles for the shop this year but the only trebles we have are a few left over from last year.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:08 PM
Regular Visitor

[QUOTE=Fleroo;2263538]Some years ago, I was into Minnie fishing, and threading them. I bought a small kit of wire and double-hooks. You tie the wire to the line, then run it through the mouth, and out it's vent in the rear, then snap the hook on. For the life of me, I cannot find this setup any longer. I forget where I found this contraption. Do any of you know if they still sell them in a box store ? or online anywhere ?

When I used to use that rig and couldn't find double hooks I used treble hooks. Used to just cut a hook off with a set of wire cutters right where they first separated from the shank. Only issue I had was that I had to retie due to line fray from where the hook was cut. In a pinch it got the job done.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:44 PM

you jarred a memory. i had some i think. the wire was twisted with a small loop at the end.
bigguy54 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 04:31 PM

I just use minnie needles and rig them that way. Have you checked Amazon? They have some deals on treble hooks too if people are looking for them.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:00 PM
The Man

No need for needles on the rigs I was taught to use 35 years ago by an old guy. If ya want a killer rig PM me!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ftup View Post
No need for needles on the rigs I was taught to use 35 years ago by an old guy. If ya want a killer rig PM me!

I'll bite. PM will be sent.

But, I did order 5 2-paks from FishUSA. I believe it's the same link as posted above. Thx for the replies.

.... and yes, the rigs I had in the past were the twisted wire with a loop on either end. Didn't even need a needle. Just push the wire through the Minnie mouth to vent and attach the double-hook. Done.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just tie a loop and thread the minnow and attach double hook. The wire doesn't do much and waste of money
Wainzoid likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page