What CAN the adult do for a mentored youth? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

What CAN the adult do for a mentored youth?

My son is 4, going on 5. He is a very avid fisherman for his age and can often do most everything on his own, including catching fish through the ice. I intend on buying him the voluntary mentored youth permit tonight to take him out in the morning.

We typically fish delayed harvest streams near home, and the way this 4 year old can work a spinner unassisted would dumbfound you (it still does me). However, we got a storm yesterday.... Creeks are blown out. In leiu, I'd like to take him to a stocked pond nearby.

Typically I just let him do his thing, and I just fix the occasional tangle or snag. BUT, I know it will be busy at the pond tomorrow. So, my question is; what can I as the adult, while my son is fishing approved trout waters, do to assist him? He is fully capable of reeling in his own fish unassisted. However, we will be using bait tomorrow. I know he will need me to bait the hook, and cast the line in for him. I would immediately set the rod down and he will set the hook and retrieve the fish once he gets a bite. Not the it matters, but we most likely won't be keeping any fish.

Am I in any violations here? (Baiting hook and casting line for the mentored youth.)

Thanks in advance!
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am assuming that you have bought a fishing license as well.
Mentors can fish as well as the youths on the designated MY day(s).
Mentors are not permitted to keep any fish and youths can only keep (2) legal sized trout.

So in that aspect, you are fine.

If you choose not to fish at all, bring a comfy chair, some munchies, drinks and a camera. Relax, enjoy the outdoors and take a lot of pictures of your son fishing.

They grow up fast.....

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here is the info. right off the PFC website:

Adult Anglers

To participate in the Mentored Youth Fishing Day, anglers 16 years of age or older (adult anglers) must possess a valid Pennsylvania Fishing License and be accompanied by a youth (less than 16 years of age) who has obtained a Mentored Youth Fishing Permit or Voluntary Youth Fishing License from the Commission. While mentors will be permitted to fish for trout, they are not permitted to harvest trout and must release them unharmed.
Youth Anglers

Youth anglers must obtain a Mentored Youth Fishing Permit or Voluntary Youth Fishing License from the Commission and be accompanied by an adult licensed angler in order to participate. Youth may harvest up to two trout (combined species) with a minimum size of 7 inches. All other Commonwealth Inland Water regulations apply.
bigguy54 and nomad_archer like this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Well I was mistaken. I guess I just assumed adults couldn't fish ha. We don't keep them anyway, but I guess I might just toss spinners for him then and let him reel in the fish. This means it's gonna be really busy now, with creeks blown out.

So is there an adult to mentor ratio? Example: Can my wife and I both fish, noting we only have 1 son? I'll probably just be the ref at that point anyway, but just wondering.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle31490 View Post
Well I was mistaken. I guess I just assumed adults couldn't fish ha. We don't keep them anyway, but I guess I might just toss spinners for him then and let him reel in the fish. This means it's gonna be really busy now, with creeks blown out.

So is there an adult to mentor ratio? Example: Can my wife and I both fish, noting we only have 1 son? I'll probably just be the ref at that point anyway, but just wondering.
Its 1:1. One adult fishing to one MY.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I kinda assumed. Sounds good. I really appreciate the Clarification. Thanks all!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
Its 1:1. One adult fishing to one MY.

I don't see that in the regulations. Also it isn't ilke the hunting program in that you can take more than 1 kid.

Really doesn't matter as we went 2 years ago and I know myself and the other adults weren't fishing anyways.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:27 PM
The Man

I spoke to a PFBC law enforcement officer today about this very point. He told me that one adult can take more than one MY, but if there is only one MY then only one adult may fish.

I have no idea what any regulation says, but that is what I was told.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
I spoke to a PFBC law enforcement officer today about this very point. He told me that one adult can take more than one MY, but if there is only one MY then only one adult may fish.

I have no idea what any regulation says, but that is what I was told.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see that in there. The reg would make sense so you don't have 25 adults with one 4 year old. Like I said when we went a couple of years ago the adults were just helping the kids.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The adult also needs a T/S for MY days - even if not fishing......... Yet I can take a youth out after the season starts without any license(as long as I don't fish). You are allowed to "help" a lot more now than you used to be able to.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page